Fewest working, or looking for work, since.........1978!!!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I'm not sure but the following link seems to indicate that's not quite right (regarding growth, that is). For example, if I understand the charts correctly the number of accepted claims was 620,488 in 1999 while in 2013 accepted claims were 884,894. If you look at applications it looks like a much bigger jump. In 1999 applications numbered 1,200,087 while in 2013, 2,640,100. That seems to indicate that the rate of acceptence to claims made has actually dropped an awful lot.

It also looks like it peaked in 2010 and 2011 as the past two years show a decrease in accepted claims.

It appears that people may be staying on disability longer though as current payment status in 2013 is almost double 1999.

Then again, termination of claims over the past couple of years seems to be increasing as well.

I dunno, make of it what you will. Here's the link:

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html
I've always held the opinion that the jump in disability after 2008 was actually the tough sona-of-bitches who despite having a disability, liked their freedom and worked anyway, toughing it out. After 2008 the jig was over, the labor market was way too competitive to take the guy with a disability.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm not sure but the following link seems to indicate that's not quite right (regarding growth, that is). For example, if I understand the charts correctly the number of accepted claims was 620,488 in 1999 while in 2013 accepted claims were 884,894. If you look at applications it looks like a much bigger jump. In 1999 applications numbered 1,200,087 while in 2013, 2,640,100. That seems to indicate that the rate of acceptence to claims made has actually dropped an awful lot.

It also looks like it peaked in 2010 and 2011 as the past two years show a decrease in accepted claims.

It appears that people may be staying on disability longer though as current payment status in 2013 is almost double 1999.

Then again, termination of claims over the past couple of years seems to be increasing as well.

I dunno, make of it what you will. Here's the link:

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/dibStat.html
Interesting info, thanks. Looks like it's not so much growth as new jobs dropping to worse numbers. I'm especially glad to see awards dropping back down. The growth mapped out makes sense - people would be more likely to file if they lose their jobs and equivalent jobs seem nigh impossible to find. The bureaucrats are probably more inclined to grant as well.

Probably see more people dropping off as the economy improves and people with disabilities can more easily find lucrative work within their capabilities.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I've always held the opinion that the jump in disability after 2008 was actually the tough sona-of-bitches who despite having a disability, liked their freedom and worked anyway, toughing it out. After 2008 the jig was over, the labor market was way too competitive to take the guy with a disability.

I knew a contractor who went on disability after losing his business due to a fire and then IRS trouble. I suspect there are a lot of people like that who are willing to work as long as they have a lucrative job, but not willing if they can only find a physically demanding job not paying all that much more than disability. That's probably the flip side of it being harder to find a job if you have challenges.