Few Remaining Questions on Athlon II X4 overclocking

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ok, so I just built a nice new PC for my parents, and I'm planning to do a slight overclock to perhaps 3ghz.

Athlon II X4 620
Asus 785G motherboard
4GB DDR2-800 RAM

So...

I understand that I want to lower the HT and RAM multipliers as I increase the base speed.

So, if I were to go 12 x 250 or something for 3ghz, then I would drop HT multiplier to 8 and ram multi to 3.2, right?

Also, ACC. While the Athlon has all 4 cores unlocked already, I hear that sometimes you can unlock the L3 cache on the chip if it's a crippled Deneb. Is this true? If so, would I just set ACC to auto -- all cores and stability test?

Thanks for answers!

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
While you find the max CPU frequency (or the max you want to go), you can drop the HT multiplier and RAM multi below what it could be. When you're satisfied with CPU speed, you can then raise the HT and RAM multipliers to wherever they can go or need to be.

You can use CPU-Z to verify what the RAM and HT is really running at. And of course, during all of this you'll want to stress test for stability.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
So I want to lower the HT and RAM speed drastically while I overclock so they aren't factors?

cpufast

Jan 21, 2001
Hi,

I just put one of these in my box. It is the CAYC stepping and from what I have read this is a good stepping for unlocking. Unfortunately my board has the 700 SB and not the 710 or 750 so unlocking the cores is out. It runs stablle 3.12Ghz, stock voltage. All I did was drop the multiplier to 12, HT to 7x, North bridge to 8x and the memory to 1:2 as it is PC1066. The memory is running at 1040 with the overclock. Stable as mable and gets good results in Sandra. Pretty surprised as I picked it up for $85 shipped.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
So the gist of overclocking an Athlon is that I find the CPU speed that works, then base my other multipliers on that. (Assuming I'm not doing NB or RAM OCing, etc)

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
Yes, that is one way of doing it, especially if you're looking for pure CPU speed. And since CPU speed usually influences performance the most, it's probably the best way to go. After that, you can put the multipliers such that they are right at or right below their stock settings, or you can attempt to overclock them as well to get even more performance.