Fermi retail cards still not in the hands of nvidia partners

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
if i owned XFX or gigabyte and was told by nvidia that i was not able to advertise or promote the new product in anyway which in turn creates profit for my share holders and
and my company then i would be thinking of selling ati only and branching the company elsewhere.
i wonder how many companies that started to sell ati video cards only also now sell nvidia as well
or how many only sold nvidia that now sell ati,
i'm not angry with nvidia or anyone for that fact i just think it's a very bad public relation and company management to do things in this way and i would'nt be investing money in shares with a company that works this way

So basically, you'll never buy Nvidia again because they won't release post NDA info before NDA expires. And the stockholders should be happier. I'm sure you can see how this makes less and less sense as we go on. But to each his own.

/cheers.

lurk3r

Oct 26, 2007
you people rave on about what this card has yet really you no jack shit about it ,all you have to do is look at how it has been promoted and that tells you how good it is,and of course your not buying a box but that is all you people have seen , then you all right shit about it when you no nothing about it and you all bleed of each other's comments,and if bill gates owned nvidia and the videocard was something worth anything you would no all about months ago
nothing but crap

You just created an account to post this illiterate drivel here? I feel sorry for you.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
IIRC, this is how it actually works: Each OEM does manufacture their own cards (or buys them from another OEM) once production is up and running. However, the initial few batches are done by NVIDIA themselves or a single OEM partner designated by NVIDIA. The reasons for this are quality control and probably also to help prevent leaks. This is why all the cards are reference design to begin with, and we only see non-reference cards a few months after launch.

I see. So I am assuming EVGA it the manufacturer of the initial batches then?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I see. So I am assuming EVGA it the manufacturer of the initial batches then?

Unlikely. It would most likely be an OEM with a factory, like Foxconn or Asus. I don't think EVGA actually manufactures anything themselves. I'm not sure who makes their video cards, but think it was mentioned in the motherboard sub-forum that the Classified motherboards are built by EPoX.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
notquiteready----------yet.jpg

--

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I wonder if manufacturers cherry pick the initial cards that are sent to reviewers? GPU's that run a bit cooler, overclock better.

vss1980

Platinum Member
Feb 29, 2000
I wonder if manufacturers cherry pick the initial cards that are sent to reviewers? GPU's that run a bit cooler, overclock better.

Possibly, but I think in the long run it wouldn't matter - revised silicon / coolers, minor changes to PCB or even simple components on the cards can make a difference.

Besides, when you cherry pick from a limited supply your not likely to get a 'golden' card which can hit ridiculously high numbers.

It would be easier to manufacture a slightly better card, say with better capacitors, voltage regulators, etc., to pull better results without having to make any significant change to the finished manufactured product..... a bit under-hand but I'm sure it's been done in the past by someone (NOTE: I'm not pointing the finger at nvidia saying that they regularly do this).

Last edited: