Ferguson... 75% of population have outstanding arrest warrants

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/natha...-finding-from-the-doj-ferguson_b_6858388.html

In Ferguson -- a city with a population of 21,000 -- 16,000 people have outstanding arrest warrants, meaning that they are currently actively wanted by the police. In other words, if you were to take four people at random, the Ferguson police would consider three of them fugitives.

Most of the arrest warrants stem from traffic violations, but nearly every conceivable human behavior is criminalized. An offense can be found anywhere, including citations for "Manner of Walking in Roadway," "High Grass and Weeds," and 14 kinds of parking violation. The dystopian absurdity reaches its apotheosis in the deliciously Orwellian transgression "failure to obey." (Obey what? Simply to obey.) In fact, even if one does obey to the letter, solutions can be found. After Henry Davis was brutally beaten by four Ferguson officers, he found himself charged with "destruction of official property" for bleeding on their uniforms.

No wonder the doj wants to break up the police department.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I honestly don't trust the interpretation of the numbers because they're not well defined.

Ferguson may well have 16,000 warrants out, but it wasn't established that they're all on Ferguson residents. I doubt that they are, considering that Greater St Louis has a population of nearly 3M.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I honestly don't trust the interpretation of the numbers because they're not well defined.

Ferguson may well have 16,000 warrants out, but it wasn't established that they're all on Ferguson residents. I doubt that they are, considering that Greater St Louis has a population of nearly 3M.

Failure to Obey!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

because they don't fit into your mold,douche.

There's a lot of criminals in Ferguson.

too bad for you.

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/03/75-of-ferguson-citizens-have-arrest-warrant/

Oh oh..a community of upstanding individuals,aye?

It's beyond obvious that those 16,000 warrants do not apply exclusively to Ferguson residents, or anywhere near it. Even entertaining the notion indicates a willingness to believe in any absurdity that might support underlying belief.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
There needs to state laws restricting what kind of ordinances towns and cities can pass.

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
The specific area wherein the figure comes from in the report. Page 55.

a. The Ferguson Municipal Court Uses Arrest Warrants Primarily as a Means of Securing Payment
Ferguson uses its police department in large part as a collection agency for its municipal court. Ferguson’s municipal court issues arrest warrants at a rate that police officials have called, in internal emails, “staggering.” According to the court’s own figures, as of December 2014, over 16,000 people had outstanding arrest warrants that had been issued by the court. In fiscal year 2013 alone, the court issued warrants to approximately 9,007 people. Many of those individuals had warrants issued on multiple charges, as the 9,007 warrants applied to 32,975 different offenses.

There are many paragraphs of additional content on the page.

While looking for something else, I came across this nugget. This FPD report never fails to amaze.
These accounts are drawn entirely from officers’ own descriptions, recorded in offense reports. That FPD officers believe criticism and insolence are grounds for arrest, and that supervisors have condoned such unconstitutional policing, reflects intolerance for even lawful opposition to the exercise of police authority. These arrests also reflect that, in FPD, many officers have no tools for de-escalating emotionally charged scenes, even though the ability of a police officer to bring calm to a situation is a core policing skill.

In June 2014, an African-American couple who had taken their children to play at the park allowed their small children to urinate in the bushes next to their parked car. An officer stopped them, threatened to cite them for allowing the children to “expose themselves,” and checked the father for warrants. When the mother asked if the officer had to detain the father in front of the children, the officer turned to the father and said, “you’re going to jail because your wife keeps running her mouth.” The mother then began recording the officer on her cell phone. The officer became irate, declaring, “you don’t videotape me!” As the officer drove away with the father in custody for “parental neglect,” the mother drove after them, continuing to record. The officer then pulled over and arrested her for traffic violations. When the father asked the officer to show mercy, he responded, “no more mercy, since she wanted to videotape,” and declared “nobody videotapes me.” The officer then took the phone, which the couple’s daughter was holding. After posting bond, the couple found that the video had been deleted.

A month later, the same officer pulled over a truck hauling a trailer that did not have operating tail lights. The officer asked for identification from all three people inside, including a 54-year-old white man in the passenger seat who asked why. “You have to have a reason. This is a violation of my Fourth Amendment rights,” he asserted. The officer, who characterized the man’s reaction as “suspicious,” responded, “the reason is, if you don’t hand it to me, I’ll arrest you.” The man provided his identification. The officer then asked the man to move his cell phone from his lap to the dashboard, “for my safety.” The man said, “okay, but I’m going to record this.” Due to nervousness, he could not open the recording application and quickly placed the phone on the dash. The officer then announced that the man was under arrest for Failure to Comply. At the end of the traffic stop, the officer gave the driver a traffic citation, indicated at the other man, and said, “you’re getting this ticket because of him.” Upon bringing that man to the jail, someone asked the officer what offense the man had committed. The officer responded, “he’s one of those guys who watches CNBC too much about his rights.” The man did not say anything else, fearing what else the officer might be capable of doing. He later told us, “I never dreamed I could end up in jail for this. I’m scared of driving through Ferguson now.”

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
It seems to be that many if not most of the ordinances in ferguson where illegal. Someone should have stepped in long ago and stopped it.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Please find proof that there are arrest warrants for "high grass and weeds", or otherwise shut the fuck up and on't use it as an example. Every state has idiotic antiquated laws that are not enforced. They're just old and never used.

While looking for something else, I came across this nugget. This FPD report never fails to amaze.

This is an official report or just a citizens account? Since she recorded it, there should be proof. If so, that is terrible. If there is no proof, then stop trying to claim it is true.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Please find proof that there are arrest warrants for "high grass and weeds", or otherwise shut the fuck up and on't use it as an example. Every state has idiotic antiquated laws that are not enforced. They're just old and never used.

This is an official report or just a citizens account? Since she recorded it, there should be proof. If so, that is terrible. If there is no proof, then stop trying to claim it is true.

As a concerned citizen, I ask the same of our LEO's across the nation.

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010
There are nothing wrong with Ferguson's laws. I would say that all communities around the nation have laws that differ from one community to the other and some will seem strange while others will not. It is not different from anywhere else.

The issue is with the population. It's filled with thugs and illiterate. It's a jungle in there...

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
I don't think a lot of those arrest warrants will be processed unless the city has a budget shortfall.

The warrants are kind of like a savings account. Once arrested the fines and fees start. If all the warrants were processed at once it would overload the system. Even with the time served and probation deals. Once a deal is accepted the probation fees start.

If there ever comes a day when most of the people in the court house for non-violent offenses plead not-guilty and refuse to put up bail or post bond the system will colapse. There is no place to hold them and it would cost a fortune to feed them. They would be released ROR and it would take years to hold trials.

Here locally it would add about 300 people a month. And the jails are already over-capacity with violent offenders.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There are nothing wrong with Ferguson's laws. I would say that all communities around the nation have laws that differ from one community to the other and some will seem strange while others will not. It is not different from anywhere else.

The issue is with the population. It's filled with thugs and illiterate. It's a jungle in there...

You should apply for the Feeguson PD. Racists fit in really well over there.

It's funny to watch people try and blame the people of Ferguson who were being shit on for the blatant racism of the Ferguson PD.

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Given my appreciation for statistics I find that the 75% one under the guise of ridiculous crimes like bleeding on cop's uniforms to be a meaningless number without context.

What percentage of these arrest warrants are for silly nonsense vs legitimate crimes that exist the country over? Obviously a lot of these crimes are serious and the arrest warrants are legitimate.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I didn't read the article, or any responses, and I'm still going to go ahead and call bullshit.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
No surprise at all. When the state directs the police to harass the people, the state can make criminals out of the population real quick. A big difference between Ferguson and a typical white community is the white community isn't harassed\oppressed by the police over inane laws. However the laws are there just waiting to be used should the state decide to start oppressing that community.

It amazes me how many in the white community don't make the connection that a sizeable percentage of people are criminals because the state is using its power to make them criminals. Not because they are criminal people by nature.