Female Male Male USB to deliver twice the power to a USB device using two USB ports?

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I've got a mobile DVD burner that came with my LG laptop. The LG laptop is special because one of the ports pumps out more than the USB standard 500mA current. It pumps out probably around 750mA which powers the LG DVD burner.

My LG lappy is now dead, and I'd like to use the DVD burner with other systems.

Is there a USB splitter cable with one female end and two male ends so I can tap power from two USB ports at the same time to power this thing?

I used to have a cable like this but I lost it.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
You do have a problem there. Any STANDARD USB port, INCLUDING those on a powered USB Hub, still is supposed to be designed for 500 mA max current out of each port. As you say, the LG laptop had one non-standard USB port specifically for that external burner.

By the way, how do you plan to use it? I presume the USB cable from the burner just looks like a "normal" one. So you are hoping to find an adapter that allows 2 male USB connectors to go into 2 USB ports on the laptop, and then provide double power capability to ONE USB female connector that the burner cable can plug into. Right?

Maybe make your own? Get a couple of short USB extension cables, preferably with heavier wiring inside. Look up the connection scheme in the male end connectors and trace them to specific colors of wires inside the cable. Splice the male end of the second cable into the first cable, connecting ONLY the power supply and Ground leads in parallel, and leaving the data lines from the second connector NOT connected. Tape it up nice and secure. Get fancy and use heat-shrink tubing??