Fellow DC'ers

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Regardless of what any of think. Let's send all prayers, karma and what ever you call it to the Texas region around Houston. I have already volunteered to go and do whatever is needed. Don't mix politics, let's just save some people....TeAm unites!!!

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Regardless of what any of think. Let's send all prayers, karma and what ever you call it to the Texas region around Houston. I have already volunteered to go and do whatever is needed. Don't mix politics, let's just save some people....TeAm unites!!!
Volunteers like you who go help people in times of trouble have my respect and gratitude! While I can't volunteer, I could send some cash. If you become aware of a highly trusted entity that gets the material goods into the hands of those who need them, let us know.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I'm literally in the opposite side of the world and the only thing I can do is offering my prayer to those who affected by the disaster and also to those lifting their arms to help whatever they can. Am wondering, can climate prediction @ boinc to be used as early prediction so we'll get less damage and casualities?

Reactions: crashtech

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@ao_ika_red , it's my understanding that while giving Climate Prediction some CPU cycles should help us understand what is happening to our planet, for now, the timing and intensity of weather effects like hurricanes, tornadoes, and tropical cyclones remain something that is difficult to predict, even with our most advanced technology. But, dedicating some CPU time in the name of victims of climate related catastrophes might be the most we in the DC community can do even in the face of such terrible disasters.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
What a great idea! I'll get early weekend thanks to national holiday to celebrate Eid al Adha. But, because I'm not participating into it, I guess I'll stay at home and run climateprediction to honour the victims of Harvey hurricane.
I've got news update from JSC that they also affected by Harvey.

Reactions: crashtech

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Sent donation to Red Cross yesterday. The scope of devastation is mind boggling, as is the scope of the rescue effort, especially the number of volunteers, not to mention the Cajun Navy and all the others. Some of their stories bring tears to my eyes.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
It looks like this year hurricanes don't catch any break. When Texas and Louisiana recover from Harvey, now we got Irma starting to wreak havoc on Caribbean Islands and as predicted will make a landfall on southern Florida this weekend. Folks at Off Topic subforum are tracking it by now. Really hope it won't be as powerful as noaa prediction.

Euge Corley

Aug 20, 2017
Sent donation to Red Cross yesterday. The scope of devastation is mind boggling, as is the scope of the rescue effort, especially the number of volunteers, not to mention the Cajun Navy and all the others. Some of their stories bring tears to my eyes.

Exactly. :(

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
any DC'ers live in Irma's path? After watching nhk's weather forecast and uploaded photos from barbuda and st.maarten makes me very uneasy.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Wait, I live hours and hours (of driving) away from the Ocean, but Irma 'may' pass over my head regardless, according to a few computer models.

Ah, ok, should 'only' be 60 mph winds and 2" of rain by then. I'd best check the condition of my inflatable raft....just in case.

The Caribbean must have(or still is) taken quite the beating from a Cat5. I can't imagine sustained winds in excess of 180mph! :(

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
This sounds odd, but we wish Irma was headed for us. The Northwest is on fire ! We could use some rain. See my previous link

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Seems all of rain clouds are concentrated in Irma's path. So, chances for rain on Oregon is still slim. But if my memory serves me right, in 2015 Sumatra and Borneo also had terrible rainforest fire and due to our lack of equipment, we hire Russians with their Beriev. Within a week or so the fire was extinguished. I hope your government hire them too. Beriev is such a beast to deliver massive amount of water in a very short time.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Seems all of rain clouds are concentrated in Irma's path. So, chances for rain on Oregon is still slim. But if my memory serves me right, in 2015 Sumatra and Borneo also had terrible rainforest fire and due to our lack of equipment, we hire Russians with their Beriev. Within a week or so the fire was extinguished. I hope your government hire them too. Beriev is such a beast to deliver massive amount of water in a very short time.
The problem is that you have to be 300-400 feet above the fire to drop, and with our steep cliffs and mountains, that not possible with a big aircraft, and helicopters can't carry enough. Did you look at my link and the pictures ? the entire mountain range is on fire ! And in the foreground are the cities that are threatened.