Fellow Christians it?s time to stop posting

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Riprorin
If you don't want to believe that's your choice.

Why believe? For one, I think that Jesus' resurrection from the dead is a good reason.

What does that have to do with LMK's argument that your debating is unholy?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Infohawk

Why believe? For one, I think that Jesus' resurrection from the dead is a good reason.

Nothing. I was responding to Glpster's post.

Glpster

Banned
Jan 14, 2005

There is absolutely no evidence of that happening, other than stories from the Bible.

Now, I'll concede that there ARE some historical theories that Jesus studied with the Buddists for many years until he returned to the middle east.

If that's the case, I suppose it's very well possible he learned the techniques some Buddists aquire to significantly control their autonomic functions to the point that they APPEAR to be dead. That would have been a GREAT way to escape an execution.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'd call that circular logic, but I wouldn't dignify it by calling any kind of logic.

I don't accept the premise so using it as a reason to believe it fails on its face. :roll:

I like Magnus' orginal idea. STOP POSTING, not because you do or don't believe, but because all this bullsh8 proselytizing is a boring waste of bandwidth. You're not going to convert those of us who don't believe, and trying to put us down by telling us how we're going to burn in some fantasty hell or suffer some other ooga-booga mystery pain and punishment of your own imagination isn't going to make any friends.

Or as Rhett Butler said, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" :p

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Nothing. I was responding to Glpster's post.

Fair enough. What do you think of the LMK's first post?

Last Rezort

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Stunt
Stop posting?
Christians are a large voice in the American electorate, not hearing their views is hiding the truth and effectively creating a bias, thwarting reality.
I do agree a few members are not effective at discussing and troll; these people should leave. This is not a Christian only issue.

Truth? That there is a god?
*trys to wrap mind around the oximoron*
Noooope, didnt work.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Glpster

There is absolutely no evidence of that happening, other than stories from the Bible.

Now, I'll concede that there ARE some historical theories that Jesus studied with the Buddists for many years until he returned to the middle east.

If that's the case, I suppose it's very well possible he learned the techniques some Buddists aquire to significantly control their autonomic functions to the point that they APPEAR to be dead. That would have been a GREAT way to escape an execution.

There is very compelling evidence actually.

Glpster

Banned
Jan 14, 2005
There is very compelling evidence actually.

Share it.

I'd LOVE to hear it!

Although I have a feeling it's going to go something like....

"Well for ONE it says so in the Bible, AND we know that GOD does not lie, AND since we know that the Bible is written by GOD, which we know because it says so IN the Bible, which is the word of God, who cannot lie, then WE KNOW that it absolutely HAS to be the truth!"

:p

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
How can anybody learn anything about God. The atheists already don't believe anybody knows him and the religious already think they do. The fact is that we can't see God because he's on the other side of our self hate. That's the one thing Christians and Atheists have in common, self contempt.

Everything we call human life is all about denying this.

Glpster

Banned
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
How can anybody learn anything about God. The atheists already don't believe anybody knows him and the religious already think they do. The fact is that we can't see God because he's on the other side of our self hate. That's the one thing Christians and Atheists have in common, self contempt.

Shouldn't your icon be a SAD clown??

:p

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
I want P&N to reflect society. We are all here to inform and learn, if society did more of this, the world would be a better place.

Then how are we going to drag the apathetic godless heathens in here? Us vocal godless heathens are the only ones who care enough to come here.

May 10, 2001

close.

we cant see God because he's on the other side of sin, and self-hate surely is a sin.
I guess, LMK, you are going to ignore my posts?

nope, just taking 12 hours this summer semester, so it's taken me a while to get around to it

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
Stop posting?
Christians are a large voice in the American electorate, not hearing their views is hiding the truth and effectively creating a bias, thwarting reality.
I do agree a few members are not effective at discussing and troll; these people should leave. This is not a Christian only issue.

Yeah....but

Christians are supposed to act as ambasador's for the coming kingdom of god.

What american ambasador would vote in say Iraq, or even in England.

God sets up rulers and takes them down, how can i be so sure my vote is following that will.

And don't give me any bullsh!t about god telling people who to vote for, taking part in elections of governmental officials is wrong for christians.

~new

shrumpage

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Originally posted by: newParadime

And don't give me any bullsh!t about god telling people who to vote for, taking part in elections of governmental officials is wrong for christians.

~new

Maybe Jevoah Wittinesses - voting is specfically against their doctrine.

Otherwise, Jesus instructed people to be good stewarts of what is given to them, in America one of the things citizens have is the right to vote. Considering the importantance and influence that voting has in our society/government, ignoring would be foolish and wastiful.

VERTIGGO

Apr 29, 2005
By wacky points of view you mean mainstream mentalities, yes...understanding the logic or lack of will help in converting them from the wackiness.

For example, you cannot discredit creationism or any other idea for that matter until you understand what it is.

Sure, you need to know what creationism is if you want to attack it, but I don't see why you need to bother with it on equal time. Society would be better off if we concentrated our efforts on real dillemmas and issues and weeded out some of the ridiculous positions. I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to speak about conspiracy theories or invisible pink elephant gods but that there's no reason they need to be represented in relation to their population or that P&N needs to give equal time to silly ideas.

And specifically Christians generally do not respond to logic. Their religion, as are many, is based on faith which specifically bypasses logic. The purpose of faith is to get around logic.

These comments are quite ignorant of the true nature of logic. In fact, belief in creation is 100% logical. No one can prove something that has happened before his time, but a scientist observes and confirms: hmm, the world is full of intricate detail and design, therefore it had to be designed by someone with infinite amounts of intelligence and order. This may not be "legal" proof, but it is absolutely logical. Every individual must be guided by the Holy Spirit to understand the details of our origin, but even so, we will only know fully when we are reunited with Him.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
So in other words you think a big alien fairy geneticlly (or some other tinfiolly way) created us for his amusement?

Nah, I'll stick to what can be proved with the limited scale of knowledge we have so far thanks to, you know science, and civilisation.....you mistake logic with a leap of irrational blind faith. (And wacky folklore)
BTW, who exactly created this godfairy? He couldn't have evolved into such a high state since you believe in creationism...so how?

any answers besides...just close your eyes and beeelive maaan!

sounds to me like there was some peyote thingy in the deserts of the middle east back then..

BTW santa claus is a farce also, along with the other fairy....the one that jacks your toof...

hallejuah it's 2005 wake up simians!

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: VERTIGGO
hmm, the world is full of intricate detail and design, therefore it had to be designed by someone with infinite amounts of intelligence and order.
Computers are full of intricate detail and design. Yet they are made by man. Anyway, where is your proof that someone with infinite amounts of intelligence and order designed the universe?

Every individual must be guided by the Holy Spirit to understand the details of our origin, but even so, we will only know fully when we are reunited with Him.
Says who? How do you know this?

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: LordMagnusKain
Romans CH1:
; 24Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves: 29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

This isn?t a reference to argument in an attempt to come to a common understanding or share truth, but rather argument for it?s own sake, arguing with your mind made up, dishonestly, and for the sake simply of upsetting those who disagree with you.

The actual context of the use, of course, has to be taken into account, but in putting this in context don't loose the power of the fact that this is something that we're doing.

This wouldn?t be a problem if we where simply trying to come to an understanding or share the truth, but we take part in the mindless partisan hacker just like everyone else.. and that?s simply not right.

It?s a sin, just like murder or gossip and we Christians shouldn?t be doing as much or encouraging others to.

Agreed, though we all fall into this trap on occasion, its trolls like Riprorin that really need to go away.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003

Damnations!! I ALMOST agree with this.....I need a drink:Q

It's hard to see when you already have preconcieved what you know, regardless of the rationale used. It is the very reason I spent years learning the faith of others so that I may see more clearly my own. To see through the eyes of others often means seeing without blinders.

Later....

Mark