Feelings over leaving a job

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Ok, I've been at my job for 2.5 years now. It is my first real job following graduation from college. However, the money could be a little bit better, we generally work 50-60 hours a week due to being understaffed and behind schedule, and there isn't much room to move up the ladder.

So I went for a job interview a few weeks ago and was made an offer. Without naming dollar figures, this new position is 16% more salary and a 4% signing bonus. Plus better hours and seemingly more room to advance.

Despite all that I am feeling guilty and a little scared at the thought of leaving my current job. I worry about the longer commute, the slightly higher cost of living, and just generally if it's the right move.

Is this a common thing? Ive never left a job before except when I graduated high school and went to college or when I graduated college. So I am just curious about other people's experiences leaving jobs...

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I think this is common. I just accepted a new job (and turned in my two weeks notice last Friday) and I'm in a similar boat as you (been there 2 years, first real job after college, money's not great, no real room to move up).

I also feel kinda bad about leaving, but you have to do what's best for you. I mainly feel bad because I work with a lot of great people.

I sat down and made the old pro's and con's list, then compared salaries/benefits and job potential. It was a no brainer after that. But, I still feel a little guilty for leaving, even though I know it's the right choice.

OhSnap688

Golden Member
Sep 29, 2006
Of course it's a common thing, but I mean, you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I know this is completely different but I have left 1 job that was during high school. I loved the people I was working with. Been working with them for like 2 years maybe more. I wasn't getting paid much at all, and now as a college student I kind of need to make more. So I did the same and it's hard to leave cause you feel like you're letting them down cause now they have to find someone and teach them everything I already knew, but it had to be done.

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
i've felt happy leaving every single job i had (2). i generally get tired of jobs within a year or two.

i spent 2 years with my current job now... can't wait to get out when i get into an MBA program.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
well the MBA is the next step. this job would put me closer to where I want to go for my MBA.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Leave the job. Not necessarily for this new one but your dead-end job does you no good. If it helps you feel better, interview with a few more other companies and you'll know your worth. Take it from me, if you really want to advance financially and skillwise, keep changing jobs. I see my friends doing that all the time. Meanwhile I'm "stuck" here because it's comfortable and with kids on the way I'm not going anywhere fast, career-wise. You're still young, take advantage. They'd can you in a second if they could - don't feel bad for companies.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I was in the same spot a little less than a year ago. I had been working my same job out of college for 7 years but had really gone no where aside from helping grow a small shop to a pretty decent sized service... that being said, there was no structure for me to move, promises of more money (but rarely delivery of that money), and just a rather lazy way of doing things. A friend told me about a job in his department, I applied for it, and got it with a smallish increase in salary but much more room to grow and benefits up the wahzoo.

I felt bad telling my boss, but I had to look out for my family and accepted the job. In less than a year, I've already taken a new position and gotten an increase in salary. I work with great people, and my environment is much better... the only thing worse is the commute.

If you think its the right thing for you to grow, go for it... you have to move on at some point. Sadness is always a factor due to relationships effectively ending, but as long as you don't burn bridges, you'll be fine.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
thanks for the insight everyone. it helps to hear what I think I already knew.

WingZero94

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2002
I've said this many times, so here goes:

"Work Hard, Learn Tons, Don't Settle"

That is my mantra. I have moved jobs every 1 - 2 years. Some may think this is too much, but I don't. I am continuously improving at each 'job' I go to. Whether it's a certification, education, or experience, i'm always moving up. I am 4 years out of college (did some professional work during college) and have increased my salary from 37k to 82k. This is not meant to brag, but merely to illustrate, to those of you on the edge, that if you 'settle' you'll lose. If I had done that, I would be making about 54k right now.

Money is FOR SURE not everything so make sure that you enjoy your field and the people you work with. Once you have acquired lots of skills (in your domain) and experience over several jobs then it may be time for a 10 year job for more stability.

One other thing - don't every underestimate your pay potential. If you have to ask the pay range for the job, you have probably already lost money. Find a job, research the field and DECIDE how much you would take the job for. If you get a call back and an offer then tell them 5 - 10% above that rate (play room). If they insist on a salary requirement before you are offered the job just keep telling them you'll make a recommendation after a verbal job offer has been made.

Good luck!!

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
are your company matching 401k contributions fully vested yet? if not, as if the new company can bump the bonus to offset it :D

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
OP, how far is your current commute and how much further is the new one going to be?

Based on what you've seen at the new job, do you have the ability to learn from your coworkers?

You should never be afraid to leave a job as long as the next one will offer you the ability to grow professionally.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
the 401k at my current job is fully vested.

i think i can learn from my new coworkers. and the program manager seems to have already taken a liking to me and is talking about moving me over to be his deputy program manager.

as for money, i think i made some negotiation miss-steps, but live and learn. they gave me what i asked for without any hesitation, if my current job offers to beat it to keep me then we'll see.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Employers try to take advantage of people and force them to work a lot of overtime, becuase most people are afraid to leave their current job. However, if you are young and a chance for advancement it is better to switch employers now. It gets a lot harder as you get older and stuck in your ways. Once you hit about 50 opportunities may not look so good and employers may not be willing to hire you.

L

Lola

I feel for you and know it is a VERY common feeling to have.
It is a fear of the unknown. However, I always think that it is a feeling of excitment not fear.
I think we sometimes get into a "groove" of something and get comfortable. When an opperuntity to change is set in front of us, it is hard to take it.

There will always be "what-ifs" and "I should have done...".

But this is what makes life worth living. The unknown and the new.
Go for it. It might be cliche but Feel the fear and do it anyway.