Feeling depressed. Need some cheering up....

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
I've been unemployed since February and i'm already running out of unemployment benefits. Sure is tough finding a design job here in Houston. Been going to interview's left and right to no avail. All the interviewer's are "wowed" by my stuff but i just don't get why i'm not getting any offers. Must be the tough competition.

So far i've been doing freelance design jobs for some oil companies and Sprint but it sure isn't going to last me long.

I'm getting ready to shed a tear here. *sigh* On the upside i'm starting to have more freetime (starting this weekend).

Just wanted to share a bit. Thanks for lending an ear... err... eye.

:)

- Mike

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Do a google search for "Estella Warren" & grab the first link you find. That should cheer you up.

Viper GTS

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
LOL Viper! Wasn't so sure if Estrella was a design firm so i decided to check it out... now i know what you mean ;) Thanks dude. Helps a bit, but my gf is much better. :cool:

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Enjoy your free time while you have it. Frisbee Golf is a very relaxing, and incredibly cheap form of recreation. Buy a mid range driver for $9 and your're good to go providing you don't loose it. Take a 6 pack of beer with you and enjoy the sun. No matter how much you suck at it, if you you drink your beer fast enough you won't care :p That, and no matter how bad you are, there is always somebody worse out there :D

Get some sunlight, get out and walk around, enjoy the day while you have it available.

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
frizzle - just like ur avatar :)

azraele - thanks, i need all the luck i can get. there was this position i almost got... i even posted a while back about it (e.g. Having a lunch interview, needed advice). Thing is, they told me to expect an offer in 24 hours... but it's already been over a week and they're not returning my calls. <g>

vi_edit - Frisbee golf? Never heard of that one. Is that like mini-golf or something? Enjoy the sun eh? Yeah, got lots of those this time of the year in H town. Too much in fact LOL.

dafatha00

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
aw, i'm sorry rootax

i know how you feel, i've been searching for an internship for several months now but no luck =o(

keep your head up =) something's bound to come along

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Frisbee golf is sort of like golf where you have anywhere from 9-18 holes set up with a certain par per game. Most holes are anywhere from 150 feet up to 800 feet. Most courses will have trees, hills, ravines, and miscellaneous objects in the path to increase the difficulty of the hole.

Instead of holes you aim to put the disk(frisbee) into a steel basket. There's three main disks that you can use- drivers for &quot;teeing&quot; off on long holes, midrange drivers for shorter shots, and putters for when you close to the basket. I'm cheap and just play with a mid range driver.

Most of the holes at the course I frequent are under 225 ft so the midrange is acceptable. Anything over 300 feet and you are really going to want a driver so that you don't use up half of your strokes just getting to the basket.

Here's a list of a bunch of disk golf courses in your area. There was a pretty good selection in Houston.

For $25 you can go to a sporting goods store like Scheels and get a 3 disk pack that includes driver, midrange, and putter. I've played over 10 games and I'm still using the same disk. The courses are almost always free so there isn't any cost there. It's really cheap entertainment :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm pretty well the same rootaxs. Been out of work since beginning of January. I've had some interviews as a developer but can't land a job because people with more experience are in the same predicament as I am. Unemployment benefits run out mid/end August for me. Dunno what i'll do then...either move and leave my wife (geographically i mean!) or ...well I dunno!

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
fvck you viper.... now how the hell am I supposed to get any work done with all these pictures to stare at?... Damn you straight to hell! :)

-Max

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
Rootaxs, good luck to you. I finally ended up starting my own IT business.... have you considered hanging out your own shingle?

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
dafatha00 - Thanks. It took me 1 whole year to find my last job and i thought i had it made until the company started running out of money, as with most dotcoms <g> I'm keeping my heads up.

Dannylove - somehow i figured you'd show up with that link. ;) used to be a jlh fan myself. i just outgrew it i guess after she started getting that boob job.

vi_edit - wow! thanks for the link and the overview. i'll check it out and see where i can try out this frisbee golf. Seems the closest they have is around 15 miles away. Looks *very* interesting. I like frisbee's.

skoorb - since January? dang. i feel for you man, and i thought i had it bad. good thing i still have relatives i can count on in the dire case that things turn from worse to worst. Ever tried shifting jobs? I've always been more of a &quot;jack of all trades&quot; so i can go either Systems Admin (had 1 year corporate experience and 3 years administering my now defunt BBS and now Web Hosting gig). Also did Production management and for most parts of it Web/Graphic Design.

Mikal - Thanks. What kind of IT business do you have? I've always wanted to rekindle the Design (Web and DTP) + Hosting business i had back home but learning all these US laws is getting to me. I do have a couple of full-time webservers running right now with approx. 90 unique sites but for the life of me i just never charged anyone for the hosting.

Mikal

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2001
I do mainly network consulting, repair and maintenance. It does take time and connections to get things going, that's for sure.
You really should consider charging something for the webhosting even it it's just to cover your overhead. Good luck to you!