Feedback on my first HTPC parts list

Slimjimi

Oct 5, 2013
Hey All,

I'm going to build my first HTPC. Right now, when I want to watch a 3D-blu-ray or netflix/hulu I use my blu-ray player. If I want to watch anything streaming online, I have to run a 50' HDMI cable from my office to my living room and use my office PC. My plan is to make an HTPC that will do the netflix/hulu/3D-blu-ray/*****************online stuff. I also want to be able to browse the internet from my HTPC (check fbook/twitter/email). I'd also like to be able to be able to use my HTPC as a LAN HDD, so I can download content from my office PC, and store it on my HTPC.

My parts list thus far is:
Case: Silverstone ML03B
CPU/GPU: AMD A10-5800K Trinity
MOBO: MSI 760GMA-P34
RAM: G.Skill 8GB
HDD : Toshiba 3TB
Blu-Ray: LG 12x Blu-Ray
PSU: Logisys 480W
Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech K400

I've got my ethernet cable there for my blu-ray player already, so I don't need WIFI. I can't currently think of a reason I'd need bluetooth. I plan on leaving this on 24/7, so I thought I should bolster the RAM a bit, and get 8 instead of 4GB. And, since I'm going to have it on all the time, I also figured I didn't need a SSD master drive for my OS...since boot time isn't an issue.

Any feedback or recommendations/tweaks to my build list would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
The rumor is that an SSD will help with the load times with a large media collection. I built my first HTPC/steam box with a SSD so I don't have any experience to compare to.

Alan G

Apr 25, 2013
Don't know anything about the Logisys PSU as a brand. You don't need that much power for what you intend to do. I run a Seasonic G-360 on my unit primarily because I've had good luck with Seasonic PSUs. You also don't need more that 4GB of RAM. The only reason to leave this on 24/7 is if you do want to use it as a file server of some kind. Mine is a dedicated HTPC and I just let it sleep unless there is a TV show to be recorded by WMC.

Gronnie

Jan 21, 2013
Difference between HDD and SSD when loading your media collectiion/metadata in a program like MediaBrowser is like night and day.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
That CPU and motherboard don't match. The 5800k is an FM2 socket, whereas that motherboard is AM3+. I'd pick a motherboard with an FM2+ socket if you want to use that CPU. =)

Slimjimi

Oct 5, 2013
You're saying I should just get a SSD for my OS and media programs (not for my media, right?.......). So a 32GB SSD should cut it...maybe go as big as 64?

Also, thanks Ventanni, for the socket type heads up! I got practically the same MOBO, but in a FM2 socket type now:
MOBO