Feedback on Components for New Build

techguy817

Dec 21, 2009
Hi all,

Looking for feedback on the below components for my next PC build. Primarily for everyday power use, photo and video editing, etc. No real gaming.

Case: Fractal Define R6 Blackout with window
Mobo: ASUS Zenith Extreme (seems to have mixed reviews but apparently still top choice)
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (good reviews and watercooling is probably overkill)
PSU: Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850W Titanium
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 (32GB is max supported at 3600 apparently)
GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
HDD: Samsung 960 Pro SSD 1TB
Monitors: LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Al

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I don't see any glaring issues. I would recommend looking at the X399 Taichi, which several people here have, and love for their Threadripper builds.

Also, is 1TB of space enough to handle your video editing?

techguy817

Dec 21, 2009
Thanks for the prompt reply UsandThem.

I will also look into the X399 Taichi. Doesn't seem to have quite the same specs but I'm sure it could also work for what I need.

That fast 1TB SSD will be my boot drive and serve most apps but I also have other older SATA drives I plan to use as well as a Synology for backup.

Reactions: UsandThem

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
You probably want to ask @Markfw as he's booting his 4th TR rig in his house. There's also ThreadRipper builders thread in CPU section if you need some help regarding TR .

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Hi all,

Looking for feedback on the below components for my next PC build. Primarily for everyday power use, photo and video editing, etc. No real gaming.

Case: Fractal Define R6 Blackout with window
Mobo: ASUS Zenith Extreme (seems to have mixed reviews but apparently still top choice)
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 (good reviews and watercooling is probably overkill)
PSU: Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850W Titanium
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3600 (32GB is max supported at 3600 apparently)
GPU: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
HDD: Samsung 960 Pro SSD 1TB
Monitors: LG 27UD58-B 27-Inch 4K UHD IPS

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Al
This advice comes partially from early on when all the ASUS mobos were bricking on bios updates, but the ASRock X399 Taichi I think is the best.

The enermax 360 TR4 AIO cooler might be overkill at stock, but I like to run mine at 3.8-3.9 24/7/365 and it keeps them down to 42-55c.

I assume the memory is 4x8 gig sticks.

techguy817

Dec 21, 2009
Thanks @Markfw.

What makes the ASRock X399 Taichi the best board for that platform in your opinion? How does it compare with the ASUS Zenith Extreme? Most reviews tend to have the ASUS Zenith Extreme shown as the best feature-wise at least and that's what AMD supposedly sent out as the test platform.

I think I'll keep stock speeds for now with no overclocking. The Noctua air cooler should get the job done from all the research I did on it.

Yes RAM is 4x8GB sticks. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233978. Selection may change though and I'd need to check the compatibility with the Taichi board. Also wondering if the RAM aircooler unit is really needed with everything stock.

techguy817

Dec 21, 2009
Ok so it sounds like I may go with the Taichi board then. I'm sure either one would meet my needs feature-wise but I want something that is quality and will last. My previous system is 9+ years old (MSI board with Intel Core 2 Duo) so I tend to keep things for a while. :)

Is the RAM at https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X399 Taichi/index.asp#Memory the best/fastest to get? Instead of those, what if I wanted to go with 4x16GB chips and later possibly get another 4x16GB to max out at 128GB and be more future-proofed (instead of having to replace the small chips later on)?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
On the ram, all I know is the ram I linked to is I think a 4 stick kit of this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232194 of which I have in 2 of my threadrippers, and it runs at 3466, about the best you can do today with this version (Ryzen2 is said to go higher) If you get 16 gig sticks, they are dual rank, so you loose some speed. I am recommending what I KNOW works, so beyond that, good luck, but LOWER ram timings (samsung B-die chips) are the ONLY way to go.16-16-16-36 for 3600.

But it looks like all the 16 gig kits (4 x 16) are cas 17.( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232450 ) So those would probably be the best if you have to go that way,

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Let me make some suggestions for fans.

The Fractal Design case comes with three of their 3-pin 140mm fans pre-installed. Now, 3-pin fans can have their speed controlled ONLY by a fan header that uses the older Voltage Control Mode (aka DC Mode). The newer 4-pin fans can be controlled that way, but better by using PWM Mode. Your ASUS mobo has several fan headers and each, as I understand them, can be configured to use either type of control method.

In general, I think it best to use a mobo's automatic fan control systems to cool your equipment. There are normally two of these. One controls fans plugged into the CPU_FAN header and the CPU_OPT header, and this is based on the actual temperature inside the CPU chip and measured by a sensor in the chip. Hence it is ideal for cooling your CPU. Moreover, the actual CPU cooling fan NEEDS to be plugged into the CPU_FAN fan header because of special monitoring of that fan by the mobo for possible fan failure. The other system normally controls fans on the CHA_FAN1 and 2 and the H_AMP_FAN headers, and it uses a different temperature sensor built into the mobo; this is ideal for case fan ventilation control.

The Case comes with a Fan Hub included. It is capable of powering many fans without being subject to the mobos' fan header power limits because it gets fan power directly from the PSU. But it NEEDS a PWM signal from a mobo fan header and it will use that to control ALL of its fans in the same way. This particular Hub appears to have a special feature: it can power and control both 3-pin and 4-pin fans, and it has output ports for both types. It does this by "converting" from PWM Mode to Voltage Control Mode.

I suggest you connect your CPU chip cooler to the mobo CPU_FAN header and let it do its normal automatic control function. For all the case ventilation fans (the three in the case, plus any others you might add) plug them into the case's Hub. The Hub has a cable from it ending in a 4-pin female fan connector that must plug into a mobo fan header. It has two functions: pick up the PWM signal it needs for control, and return to the mobo the speed signal of only ONE of its fans (the one on Port #1). Now, the manual says to plug the small cable into the CPU_FAN header and then plug your CPU cooling fan into Hub Port #1. This is ONLY to ensure that the Hub actually gets a PWM signal, and it has the DISadvantage that it puts all fans under control of the CPU's internal temperature sensor. I recommend a different scheme. Plug only the CPU cooler into the mobo CPU_FAN header. Plug the Hub's cable into the mobo CHA_FAN1 (or 2) header, and ensure in BIOS Setup (manual, p. 3-7) that this header is configured to use PWM Mode so that the Hub will get that important signal. Now connect your case fans to the Hub ports. I advise ensuring that one of those fans (even a 3-pin fan if necessary) be plugged into the Hub's 4-pin Port #1 (see case manual p. 7) that is labeled for use with the CPU fan. This will ensure that the Hub has a fan speed signal on this port that it can relay back to the mobo CHA_FANn header so that the mobo does not believe that the chassis fans all have failed.

Be aware of a factor in using the Hub or any such device. Any mobo fan header can accept the speed signal from only ONE fan. So, any Hub (or Splitter) that connects several fans to a single header will relay back to that header the speed signal from only ONE of its fans. The mobo header can monitor that signal for fan failure, but it can NOT monitor any other fan on the Hub for failure. So it is up to you to check from time to time that all your fans still work.