Feedback appreciated.

Discussion in 'Digital and Video Cameras' started by Syborg1211, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Syborg1211

Syborg1211 Diamond Member

So I've been editing a shot of mine and looking for some feedback. Here is my first version I was happy with a few days ago:

[​IMG]

This is how I'm leaning now:
    [​IMG]

I've been editing in Lightroom. If you can give me any advice on things to try to improve it, please let me know. Thanks!

#1 Syborg1211, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Feedback appreciated Forum Date
    Image stabilization on a tripod --- feedback loop? Digital and Video Cameras Feb 21, 2013
    Maternity shoot just after sunrise.. Feedback? Digital and Video Cameras Jun 8, 2012
    Cars 'n Coffee - Would Love Feedback Digital and Video Cameras May 27, 2012
    Feedback on a photography portfolio design Digital and Video Cameras Dec 10, 2008
    i guess ppl here will appreciate this Digital and Video Cameras Apr 17, 2008

3. SecurityTheatre

SecurityTheatre Senior member

Playing with the "clarity" and "vibrancy" can be fun. I think you've overdone the vibrancy or saturation on the latter one (the sky is too electric blue), though I like the changes in "clarity" or contrast (however you did it) which bring out more contrast in the clouds, etc.

I also like how you brought up the shadows, it looks quite nice. Just tone down the colour a tiny bit. Obviously, just my opinion. The original is pretty damn saturated already.. :)

4. blastingcap

blastingcap Diamond Member

Looks like it's slightly HDR-ized. I think I like them both equally. The second one does seem a little heavy on saturation but it doesn't bother me as much as it would others.

5. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

I would stick with the first one and darken the shadows so they don't look washed out... but I'm looking at this on an awful laptop TN screen

6. Syborg1211

Thanks guys for the feedback. I had a feeling before I posted that my tastes in the second picture were pushing it too oversaturated. I have to learn how to fight those urges!

How's this one?

[​IMG]

7. HendrixFan

HendrixFan Diamond Member

I run past that view a few times a week, it is very nice. I like the newest shot the best. Seems to be a good mix between shadow and realism.

8. gevorg

gevorg Diamond Member

Y no exif?

9. Syborg1211

Thanks! Know of any other good spots to shoot in Austin? I've shot the crap out of the Pennybacker bridge and the skyline over town lake!

I guess Flickr takes the exif data off. You can see the data on the Flickr page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76216978@N05/8303671307/in/photostream

10. SecurityTheatre

SecurityTheatre Senior member

I went looking last time I was in Austin and didn't find a ton that stood out.

However, since the landscape is mostly flat and rather boring, you should start thinking about elements that are smaller. There's an area of town with... I think if I remember, trucks where they serve food? I bet there's some interesting stuff there.

Somehow shooting the sky with a sunset and some sort of interesting background feels like a safe default, but they do get boring rather fast, especially in Texas where there is little to see that is really that interesting, as far as "grand vistas" go. If you lived in Big Sur California, or Crested Butte Colorado, or the Jackson Hole Wyoming, I'd encourage you to get outside and shoot more sky and junk, but in Texas? meh... :)

I'll tell you what NOT to do... I went down to the "Inner Space" caverns when I was there, and there's no good photos in there. haha. It's way too dark and the fake lighting looks cool in person, but it's cheesy and such a weird variant of colours that I was unhappy with photos there. Oh, well. :)