Fedora 25 so far (blrrr Ubuntu)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
So after dancing with Ubuntu16.04-Unity for months I decided to give Fedore-25 a shot based on the recent ars review

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016...ux-distro-of-2016-arrived-at-the-last-moment/

And so far so good. All the small itchy things with Unity, lag, crashes, mouse acceleration (fedora25 is wayland) and alot alot alot of other small annoyances is just gone .. poof, gone with the wind. This is a nice experience from the get-go. No tearing, secondary montitor is correctly autodetected (not as some CRT garbage) and the look and feel of the desktop is just nice. Responsiveness is up there too (another grief with ubuntu).

Now it will stand the longer term stability test. If this goes right, its finally good bye to microsoft as the main desktop :).

Reactions: PliotronX

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Looks dope! Your story prompted me to check it out! They finally made Wayland default but I was reading that NVIDIA drives don't play well with it, what kind of GPU are you using? Is it with open source drivers?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
gtx780

But I may have spoken too soon, so far I have had 2 total desktop freezes, hard resets needed (I might have been able to remote in to the box, didnt try).
Might be isolated to Chrome and flash ... not sure yet.