FedEx Smartpost - Worst delivery service ever

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
6 days to move my freaking package 300 miles !!!! WTF are they doing, walking it here by hand????

Gotta be a conspiricy to keep people from selecting free shipping. :(

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
smartpost is considered the slow service by both FEDEX and the postal service so it is going to take at least 1 week minimal to get it. if you want it faster you have to pay for it :)

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
6 days to move my freaking package 300 miles !!!! WTF are they doing, walking it here by hand????

Gotta be a conspiricy to keep people from selecting free shipping. :(

My last USPS experience was 75 miles in 5 days. That is 15 miles per day. Easily beats the 50 miles per day for you.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
smartpost is considered the slow service by both FEDEX and the postal service so it is going to take at least 1 week minimal to get it. if you want it faster you have to pay for it :)

It would be awesome to have same-day drone delivery a la Amazon :D

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Smartpost is USPS isnt it?

not even really fedex, they just give it off to USPS once it gets relatively local. The transfer between fedex and USPS takes a day or two, then since they don't have a hard time limit (i think 14 days is the max) they take their time.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Yeah smartpost is some sort of handoff from Fedex to USPS iirc. And it's free for a reason. If you are unhappy, pay for real shipping.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah smartpost is some sort of handoff from Fedex to USPS iirc. And it's free for a reason. If you are unhappy, pay for real shipping.

With free shipping, you usually get what you pay for. It's low priority, and doesn't matter how close the sender is to you. They send it in a route that is easiest and cheapest for them. If you want it in a certain time frame, you've got to pay to play, fellas. I have 3 or 4 Amazon items coming every week, probably at least 15 items a month, minimum. I use Prime, so the shipping costs are negligible so it's well worth whatever petty fee they charge for it.

Last edited:

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Smartpost is excellent......if it's not November or December.

While it takes longer, they're basically putting those packages in the trucks when there's extra space... Eventually, they get to your local post office and are handed off. This time of year, your packages are going to be bumped frequently for higher priority items. I'm just glad that FedEx is splitting some of the money with the USPS since they're lacking so much revenue.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Got to pay to play fellows.

I have no problem with SmartPost for my non-priority items. If I need it tomorrow I have to pay up. Prime is good for many things as well. The $80 or whatever a year it is much cheaper than what I would have to pay. Typically I have 1-2 Amazon items coming every week, probably 10 items minimum per month.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
A relatively high percentage (I would guess somewhere around 20-35%) of my Amazon Prime orders ship through FedEx SmartPost or UPS SurePost. I must be in a location where there is a fast/easy hand-off between FedEx or UPS and the USPS, because they always make it within the Prime 2nd day guarantee.

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Same thing goes for UPS Surepost.

I exchanged an item that went from Ohio to Connecticut via the prepaid Surepost label and it took 4 weeks.

Because I'm registered at UPS they finally sent me an email asking if I wanted to pay $2.50 to delivery it quicker.

I paid, it was delivered the next day, and I had the return within 5 days.

I have changed my settings on the UPS website for an alert when things are sent via Surepost and can upgrade shipping.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I see you haven't dealt with Lasership.

I have extensively used lasership, it's almost always delivered to my door by 10AM the day after I order something. Hell I once ordered something from Amazon at 8am, lasership had it to my house by 3pm...

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004

Some vendors use it as their cheapest shipping method which can still be up to $8. Which is BS cause ground or priority is probably just a dollar to two more but they won't offer it. Their next faster option is then like twice as much.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
FedEx Smartpost (aka "The Pony Express") has yet failed to deliver a package to me from Newegg that was shipped on December 9th. I fear the horse and driver may have died from exposure or dysentery.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I have extensively used lasership, it's almost always delivered to my door by 10AM the day after I order something. Hell I once ordered something from Amazon at 8am, lasership had it to my house by 3pm...

While they deliver late in the day to me they always get here the day amazon says. Heck they even deliver on Sundays sometimes.

Much better luck than either I or my friend have had with them. Ordered from Amazon and they sent it with Lasership, first it didn't even come on the day it was suppose too (day late), second, they never actually delivered it and had it on their tracking it was signed for (I was home the entire day), Amazon replaced the order with 1 day shipping. Second time, the item just never showed up and Amazon had to ship another with 1 day shipping. My friend had the second incident happen twice as well, we both work from home so it isn't like it was stolen or something.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
no no they do it on purpose so you don't click the free ship and pay for the their alternative options. I ordered something from newegg weds or thurs of thanksgiving week. I got it yesterday. Took about a week to even hand off to Fedex, Fedex took a few more days to leave the depot. Got to my city, took a few more days to hand off to usps.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm also in the "not impressed with Fedex SmartPost" group.

I ordered a SSD from NewEgg. Took 11 days to get it.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
My problem with Smartpost is because of my postman. He doesn't like to deliver packages, and the post office where I have to pick them up is in a horrible part of town and always has really long lines. I order online to get it at my door. So I have to fill in the redelivery form, wait a day for him to get that, and another day or two to get the package.

nboy22

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2002
In the same boat now but with UPS ground. I paid $1000 for flash photography equipment and my package has been in Oklahoma since last Friday and it is traveling from TN to AZ.. The package hasn't even moved an inch for like 5 days now. Seriously now... that's just ridiculous, even with holidays.