Federalist wing of Supreme Court - "Screw your votes"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
When do we decide who won? Do we just wait until the ballots stop trickling in? Do we have a list of voters and keep going until all the names are checked off? There has to be a due date. There simply isn't any other way to get through the election.

There is such a date in PA- Friday after the election. It was extended due to the pandemic & Trump inspired fears about USPS. The SCOTUS didn't change it. The whole thing is hurf-durf from the GOP, anyway. Just trying to discredit honest Democracy & States Rights, claim they're being cheated & blah, blah, blah. They have no shame.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
When do we decide who won? Do we just wait until the ballots stop trickling in? Do we have a list of voters and keep going until all the names are checked off? There has to be a due date. There simply isn't any other way to get through the election.
The due date set was Nov 6. States can set their election rules. They can set the early voting start date. They can set the date ballots can be received and still counted. Why is this so hard? It's like the SCOTUS stepping in and saying "hey texas your early voting date of oct 19 is unconstitutional and it needs to be oct 22 or something".

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

November 2021. You’re an idiot. There is a list of voters so we will check with Iran first then Russia to verify everyone has voted.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Do you have a few pet monkeys that help you write this drivel or do you come up with it all by yourself?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Look at the timelines for the Electoral College.
There is time built into the schedules for just this sort of thing,

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
November 2021. You’re an idiot. There is a list of voters so we will check with Iran first then Russia to verify everyone has voted.
Now explain to me how you entirely missed that I was responding to another posters comment? Were you simply to stupid to see the post I quoted? Could you possibly be more myopic?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I was thinking if they didn't go too big, there wouldn't be a backlash. In further thought, there will be a backlash no matter what. Go big or go home i suppose.
Really need to put in term limits, with a set appointment for the first and third year of each president. After the term on the seat runs out, the justice is moved to a federal appeals court. They maintain their "office" just on a different court.

But yeah, the dems need to pack the courts, expand the HOR, and pass a sweeping new voters rights act day one.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Just look at the gutting of the voting rights act. I mean who could imagine a system of government created to protect the interests of white wealthy male property owners would be trying to suppress the votes of non wealthy and often non white citizens in order to protect the interests of the wealthiest and mostly white males?

I mean it's really far-fetched.

Obviously we've made much progress but the underlying issues still remain in substantial ways, and there are folks that are desperately trying to roll back as much of that progress as possible within the framework they have to work with now.

Last edited:

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Now explain to me how you entirely missed that I was responding to another posters comment? Were you simply to stupid to see the post I quoted? Could you possibly be more myopic?

Okay, you make some ridiculous claim about ballots never stoping to be counted to someone else and I am myopic. I bet you even thought what you said was funny or humerus. I see, you are clearly the tolerant one here on this thread. Thanks for projecting.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
It's almost like Republicans have zero principles besides increasing their own power.

The last line of article shows their vailed attempt at justification.

“Merrill, in a statement, called the court's decision a "ruling in favor of election integrity and security [and] ... a win for the people of Alabama."”

These guys hind behind election security. I watch The Circus on Showtime this week. They had the AG for Texas on and he was just unreal. Had no proof, but claimed the Democrats would be doing all kinds of fraudulent things if they had more ballot drop boxes. Do these guys even hear themselves? They spout this stuff like facts and when confronted with facts they continue to say that’s bullshit. Unreal.

The last part is especially rich, “...a win for the people of Alabama.” Which people? Nothing says you are “for the people” like making voting harder and harder to do.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Biden got asked about court packing by 60 minutes and had a decent dodge cooked up finally. He's pro court "reform" and hedged around adding SCOTUS seats saying he'll stand up a commission to make recommendations. This is fine for now. "Court packing" is presently viewed unfavorably by the electorate so the shift in terminology is good.

The necessity of adding seats everywhere in the federal judiciary is already making itself very apparent and SCOTUS is certainly going to aggravate things in the next few months as they are already. Should the Dems win the Senate it will certainly be on the table.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
They had the AG for Texas on and he was just unreal. Had no proof, but claimed the Democrats would be doing all kinds of fraudulent things if they had more ballot drop boxes. Do these guys even hear themselves? They spout this stuff like facts and when confronted with facts they continue to say that’s bullshit. Unreal.

Pretty much all fear-mongering from republicans is projection; they simply warn about the absolute psychotic things they would do themselves if they could (and sometimes do). The fundamental concept for conservative thinking is that "people are inherently wicked and evil", so to them it's obvious that everyone would do the worst thing possible, unless threatened by punishment. The idea that people (especially "the poors"!) actually doing the right and ethical thing is unthinkable to them.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Isn't it interesting how in California we have drop boxes at libraries, civic centers, churches every few blocks, and our Democratic run state can manage it just fine. But Republican run states like Texas can't handle more than 1 dropbox per whole county of hundreds of thousands of people. And our corrupt SCOTUS accepts that as a valid excuse.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Isn't it interesting how in California we have drop boxes at libraries, civic centers, churches every few blocks, and our Democratic run state can manage it just fine. But Republican run states like Texas can't handle more than 1 dropbox per whole county of hundreds of thousands of people. And our corrupt SCOTUS accepts that as a valid excuse.
Well it’s not all of TX. Dem run Harris county put $30M into voting infrastructure. We even have 24 hr early voting polling places.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I thought the premise is.... State law.... State Supreme Court has the final say. Feds !@#$ off?
SCOTUS is saying it has final say over State law?

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I thought the premise is.... State law.... State Supreme Court has the final say. Feds !@#$ off?
SCOTUS is saying it has final say over State law?
So this has come up recently. It appears that if a state court rules, in general the SCOTUS will leave it (kinda of, maybe... at least roberts will, though kavanaugh is implying that he will overrule state courts). However if the case is reviewed in federal courts, then the SCOTUS will do whatever they want. This alabama case went to federal court, not the state court so the SCOTUS got involved.

I also don't understand how the SCOTUS can rule on a case, overrule a federal appeals court, and not actually offer an opinion. This seems ridiculous to me and something that should be changed. One it allows them to meddle in things they shouldn't be meddling in way to easily and secondarily every SCOTUS ruling should have a formal reasoned opinion so that precedent can be formally set and followed. With no opinion, these sorts of rulings don't help anyone.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Well it’s not all of TX. Dem run Harris county put $30M into voting infrastructure. We even have 24 hr early voting polling places.
Those are in person voting locations. I am talking about absentee ballot drop off boxes. Our Democrat run state of California has dropboxes for absentee ballots in many locations a few blocks from each other, Republican run Texas can't safely handle more than one per county, so they banned counties from having more than one, regardless of how large the county is. Everything is dumber in Texas, I guess.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Basically, whatever SCOTUS thinks will help Republicans is OK for states to do. Everything else, they strike down.

Not true. They let stand PA State Court rulings extending the deadline to Friday after the election.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Those are in person voting locations. I am talking about absentee ballot drop off boxes. Our Democrat run state of California has dropboxes for absentee ballots in many locations a few blocks from each other, Republican run Texas can't safely handle more than one per county, so they banned counties from having more than one, regardless of how large the county is. Everything is dumber in Texas, I guess.
Not disagreeing, what I am pointing out is Dem run Harris county with Houston and suburbs put a lot of money into expanded in-person early voting (in part because of the aforementioned state gop restrictions on absentee and mail in ballots) to make sure it runs smoother and safer.

There’s a reason Houston and Austin are seeing massive early voting. It makes me wonder if the GOP led counties which didn’t bother are going to inadvertently suppress some of their own vote while the dem run urban counties are racking up record breaking early voting.

(it also goes along with your position of dem lead governments being competent when it comes to voting)

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004