Federal search warrant executed at Rudy Giuliani’s NYC apartment

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
"Guiliani? Never heard of him"

Heard something interesting about this.
Pre 2015 Guilliani & Trump did not like each other. They actively hated each other for most of the previous decade.
If in trouble Giuliani will flip and it sort of explain the former President not offering him a pardon.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Honestly it sounds more likely to me that Trump was being played by Guiliani. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a way to skip town. No way that Rudy didn't know he was outright operating as a foreign agent. The whole idea of having a non government personal attorney of the President of the US being directly involved in foreign affairs is in itself improper. Of course, why else would you do something like that unless it was for improper intent anyway?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Honestly it sounds more likely to me that Trump was being played by Guiliani. I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a way to skip town. No way that Rudy didn't know he was outright operating as a foreign agent. The whole idea of having a non government personal attorney of the President of the US being directly involved in foreign affairs is in itself improper. Of course, why else would you do something like that unless it was for improper intent anyway?

If the Ghoul is playing Trump then he's got the Claudius act down. He looks like a buffoon. If I were him I'd just claim I was senile and have no idea what is going on. Its a believable defense.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If something of value is discovered two plus years of being told he is a target Rudy is beyond stupid.

I'm guessing he has known legally he would be toast if things come through fruition. Jumping in bed with powerful political figures both foreign and domestic might offer some hope of an extra-judicial remedy. Cases like this don't move fast. A Trump victory in 2024 could have him avoiding prison altogether. We already know a Trump Justice Department has kept the warrant from being executed. Failing that or in the end anyway could be Mr. Pardon. Plenty of time to weave a narrative that Rudy is the victim of Democrat partisanship.

Reactions: Linux23
Feb 4, 2009
I'm guessing he has known legally he would be toast if things come through fruition. Jumping in bed with powerful political figures both foreign and domestic might offer some hope of an extra-judicial remedy. Cases like this don't move fast. A Trump victory in 2024 could have him avoiding prison altogether. We already know a Trump Justice Department has kept the warrant from being executed. Failing that or in the end anyway could be Mr. Pardon. Plenty of time to weave a narrative that Rudy is the victim of Democrat partisanship.

but why keep something incriminating when you know you could be searched. Putting aside legalities it makes zero sense to keep this stuff.
Shred and burn printed or written stuff, destroy hard drives or computers, tablets, laptops, phones or whatever. Submerse in water, take this shit apart, smash the pieces and dispose in different locations..

Admittidly he may still be working on “leads” regarding Hunters laptop but even this at this point in time is absolute insanity.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
but why keep something incriminating when you know you could be searched. Putting aside legalities it makes zero sense to keep this stuff.
Shred and burn printed or written stuff, destroy hard drives or computers, tablets, laptops, phones or whatever. Submerse in water, take this shit apart, smash the pieces and dispose in different locations..
Cohen says he digitally ignorant. And I don't mean he has stupid fingers.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

Admittidly he may still be working on “leads” regarding Hunters laptop but even this at this point in time is absolute insanity.

I think the minute the FBI gets involved, you're fucked. Whether he didn't have them now, doesn't mean the FBI couldn't get access to them esp. if he interacted with other people (case in point Roger Stone in the Gaetz saga). Just too many resources. Hiding this stuff probably opens you up to perjury charges later on.

Feb 4, 2009
I think the minute the FBI gets involved, you're fucked. Whether he didn't have them now, doesn't mean the FBI couldn't get access to them esp. if he interacted with other people (case in point Roger Stone in the Gaetz saga). Just too many resources. Hiding this stuff probably opens you up to perjury charges later on.

Whole cloud thing too, however I can’t figure out why everything wouldn’t be completely destroyed.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Whole cloud thing too, however I can’t figure out why everything wouldn’t be completely destroyed.

I think if you are going to do Federal type crime, you have to setup a system before hand to never have incriminating info. Giuliani thought he was untouchable. All that stuff that went on re: Ukraine was insane in itself. What business did Giuliani have directing any Federal employees/policy.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I think if you are going to do Federal type crime, you have to setup a system before hand to never have incriminating info. Giuliani thought he was untouchable. All that stuff that went on re: Ukraine was insane in itself. What business did Giuliani have directing any Federal employees/policy.
Nobody starts criming by hiring a guy to go pay cash for a handful of burner phones. There is likely a 4 lane highway of evidence in phone and email records leading back to him.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wanna start criming?

Dont use a fucking cell phone as instrumental to your efforts. Idiots.
I went through a period of watching what I call American Murder shows. Almost 100% cell phone evidence gets them every time. And it's mostly just location meta data. No you weren't where you said you were when x happened.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Watched an interview with Giuliani this morning. He doesn't seem much concerned about the search, he even commented at how polite the FBI agents were.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Watched an interview with Giuliani this morning. He doesn't seem much concerned about the search, he even commented at how polite the FBI agents were.
He ain't schmoozing his way out of this. It's all PR.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
He ain't schmoozing his way out of this. It's all PR.
Could be. But PR doesn't do squat in court.
I found it a little surprising that he was so calm about it. He wasn't railing about being targeted or his rights being infringed. Like it was a transaction instead of a search.

Good acting if that's what it was.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
LOL@this:

In a statement released by Costello earlier this week, Giuliani denied any wrongdoing and claimed the search warrants that resulted in raids of his office and apartment indicated a "corrupt double standard" by the Justice Department in its treatment of Trump associates versus Democrats.

A "corrupt double standard" by the DoJ. Really Rudy? Really?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I found it a little surprising that he was so calm about it. He wasn't railing about being targeted or his rights being infringed. Like it was a transaction instead of a search.

He’s either acting or he is extremely stupid. This warrant had to be authorized by the highest levels of the justice department and they wouldn’t have moved forward with it unless they were very confident they could make a case against him.

He is in extreme, extreme jeopardy of indictment. If he’s genuinely not worried about it he’s stupid.

Also, on other shows he has likened this search to a Stalinist purge, ranting about it like a maniac.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
If the Ghoul is playing Trump then he's got the Claudius act down. He looks like a buffoon. If I were him I'd just claim I was senile and have no idea what is going on. Its a believable defense.
I would be looking for a brain tumor or a stroke.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Somebody on the radio suggested it could be a sense of invulnerability some criminals feel. Trump is also like that.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He’s either acting or he is extremely stupid. This warrant had to be authorized by the highest levels of the justice department and they wouldn’t have moved forward with it unless they were very confident they could make a case against him.

He is in extreme, extreme jeopardy of indictment. If he’s genuinely not worried about it he’s stupid.

Also, on other shows he has likened this search to a Stalinist purge, ranting about it like a maniac.
In my opinion the message from the right depends on the target audience. When speaking solely to the base it's radical white nationalism and when to the main stream it becomes a posture of calm and reasonableness. To sound off about cancel culture one minute and nothing to worry about all a big mistake a minute later is par for the course in my opinion.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

It's the very reason I was quite sure Trump would beat Clinton. Democrats simply failed to realize how good Trump could sound and how well he knew how to disguise his real nature. They failed to take him seriously and gave us 4 years of living hell where the worst in people was made to sound OK and even proper.

I think you may get a glimpse of the truth about people like that when you see them eventually begin to ridicule their opposition. It's that contempt for others that is revealing.