Federal raids on medical marijuana users and providers continue

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
One today...
http://www.contracostatimes.com/california/ci_11619733

Ok, so he hasn't been in office for a month yet, but when exactly does this become a broken promise? How hard is it to make a phone call or send an email saying "stop?" As someone who believes that all federal drug laws should be removed from the books, I find these raids ridiculous.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Wouldn't surprise me if it continued but I hope not. My impression of it is Obama might not like it but he is not willing to spend an ounce of political capital to stop it, and made that clear during the campaign. He basically said if something comes across my desk I will sign it but nothing more, so I'm not sure if I'd expect him to call off the DEA until the laws change.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Obama, Change you can believe in! :)

Just had to throw that in there, but I would think the economy would require more attention now then a few Drug Raids.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
Obama, Change you can believe in! :)

Just had to throw that in there, but I would think the economy would require more attention now then a few Drug Raids.

Yeah, unless it's you being raided for no reason.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre
If it's against federal law, and they had a warrant (both of which appear to be the case here), then there is a reason. It's not the job of the president to pick and choose which laws will be enforced: it is his job to enforce the laws on the books.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
If it's against federal law, and they had a warrant (both of which appear to be the case here), then there is a reason. It's not the job of the president to pick and choose which laws will be enforced: it is his job to enforce the laws on the books.

Apparently, Obama disagreed with you when he stated he would stop the raids.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
That's his problem, and one of many reasons he's not suited for the job. Unfortunately, no one in this country remembers anything about US civics, so they don't understand the simple division of power in our government.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

..the anti doper bureaucracy has a life of it's own reguardless who's president.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Obama should be impeached.

..that's too easy. special prosecutors, hearings, investigations and depositions are in order first.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: IGBT
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Obama should be impeached.

..that's too easy. special prosecutors, hearings, investigations and depositions are in order first.

No way. Obama had his chance to bring change. Too late now.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Damn, couldn't even impeach a dushbag like bush, how would you impeach someone with half a brain or any brain at all? But, when you got the church protecting you I guess it's a different story.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
What I want to know is how all these people with no real medical condition are able to get perscriptions?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Damn, couldn't even impeach a dushbag like bush, how would you impeach someone with half a brain or any brain at all? But, when you got the church protecting you I guess it's a different story.

Yes, that's the reason that Bush was never impeached, because of "the church"...:roll:

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
That's his problem, and one of many reasons he's not suited for the job. Unfortunately, no one in this country remembers anything about US civics, so they don't understand the simple division of power in our government.
When Federal and State law are in direct conflict, then it's the executive branch's discretion to decide if the state law should be allowed to prevail. Obama is apparently deciding to renege on his promise. Wasn't the first time, won't be the last I'm sure.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
Originally posted by: alchemize
When Federal and State law are in direct conflict, then it's the executive branch's discretion to decide if the state law should be allowed to prevail. Obama is apparently deciding to renege on his promise. Wasn't the first time, won't be the last I'm sure.

K....

He's brokering a 900 billion dollar stimulus and yet you want him to review every federal search warrant issued in the United States. No arrests were even made.

The amount of obvious trolling on these boards has surpassed the late-Bush era even though Obama has been in office for like a month. I didn't agree with the stupid ultra-left trolls during late Bush and I sure as fvck don't agree with blatant trolls on non-issues where no one is even arrested.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CLite

K....

He's brokering a 900 billion dollar stimulus and yet you want him to review every federal search warrant issued in the United States. No arrests were even made.

The amount of obvious trolling on these boards has surpassed the late-Bush era even though Obama has been in office for like a month. I didn't agree with the stupid ultra-left trolls during late Bush and I sure as fvck don't agree with blatant trolls on non-issues where no one is even arrested.
BS
It's quite simple really. He said he would stop the practice of DEA raids on MMJ dispensaries. It's a friggin one line memo to the DEA, a post-it note would suffice. He should follow through on this very simple campaign pledge.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005

K....

BS
It's quite simple really. He said he would stop the practice of DEA raids on MMJ dispensaries. It's a friggin one line memo to the DEA, a post-it note would suffice. He should follow through on this very simple campaign pledge.

Give me a break, you will have a legimitate claim if this activity continues now that it has made headlines. However, a raid with a search warrant that probably wasn't submitted much later than he was inaugurated doesn't mean he's breaking promises. It sucks, but no one was even arrested. As I said though, I will concede a broken promise if this shit continues.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
No arrests, but their are stealing, I mean seizing, cash and goods.

stealing? come on, unless you subscribe to a conspiracy theory they are just going to destroy the evidence after the case is closed. Anyways, I agree the raid sucks but I think people are blowing this out of proportion, if it happens again well thats something different imo.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
No arrests, but their are stealing, I mean seizing, cash and goods.

stealing? come on, unless you subscribe to a conspiracy theory they are just going to destroy the evidence after the case is closed. Anyways, I agree the raid sucks but I think people are blowing this out of proportion, if it happens again well thats something different imo.

uh, seizing the cash and goods of the providers, costs them hundreds of thousands of dollars... basically, the Fed is trying to get them to fold by making them lose money...

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I for one, hope that he prioritizes the problems and fixes the more important ones first. I don't mean to sound condescending when it comes to the severity of this particular issue, but let's face the facts. It is not anywhere near the top of totem poll all things considered. Give it time.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The current head of the DEA was nominated by GWB in 2004, now that we have an AG in place at the Justice Department, our new AG will have a hand in choosing the new Obama choice to take over the DEA.

As it is, these raid have probably been in the planning stages for months.

First Obama has to get his team in place, then we can see if he is breaking campaign promises. Its not even in any way established that the current DEA head consulted Obama in any ways before she set the raids in motion. But she probably had prior GWB and Mukasey approval in hand.

The GOP delights in calling Obama the Messiah, and then can't understand that even Obama can't wave an instant change magic wand.