Federal Judge rules Bush's aides not immune from subpoenas

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
This just in from Yahoo News. A federal judge appointed by Bush himself has ruled there is no legal basis for the GWB administration to claim executive privilege regarding his aides being subpoenaed by Congress. Thus affirming a clean congressional constitutional power.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...WTUemp3pFIWIIAIx6s0NUE

Although it can be appealed, I certainly hope the principle is established once and for all. I would guess it will be appealed and GWB may run out the clock, but its still, IMHO, important to make sure a bogus argument like this can never be used again by any President.

But Miers could be sitting on the witness chair and turning over documents as early as September 10. As for Rove, I would imagine it applies to him as well while he has an additional contempt citation hanging over him.

And the House could well provide an interesting side show after the political conventions mark the official beginning to the General election.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Awesome news! :thumbsup:

Executive privilege, like most Bush Admin legal arguments, is total horsecrap.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I wonder if they will push for these people to appear post convention pre-election. That would open them to charges of political grandstanding in an election year.

Also, the judge said that if they want to refuse to testify they must do so in person. So what happens if she shows up and then refuses to answer any questions?

I expect that the legal battle over this is not over yet and will go on into the next Presidency.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
I wonder if they will push for these people to appear post convention pre-election. That would open them to charges of political grandstanding in an election year.

Also, the judge said that if they want to refuse to testify they must do so in person. So what happens if she shows up and then refuses to answer any questions?

I expect that the legal battle over this is not over yet and will go on into the next Presidency.

After 8 years of total shit people still support Bush. It's interesting to speculate what it takes not to notice one's been laughed off the face of the planet?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This outcome was pretty much certain. Even though I remember some people on here (pro-jo?) attempting to feebly argue for Bush's position, his take on EP was so incredibly extreme, so far out of any established precedent that being slapped down by the courts was pretty much inevitable. Bush probably knew this too and was just trying to buy some time with legal maneuvering.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
At least Non Prof John throws down the gauntlet. If, we, the American people do get to see some Bush aides testify pre election, it will add little to democratic allure if the subpoenas turn into partisan fishing expeditions. But if they yield some explosive mis- deeds as suspected, its really going to hurt
GOP chances in the general election.

We also forget the subpoenas require quite a number of documents as well. And its those documents that allow congressional aids to ask the right questions. And as Libby and Gonzales discovered, documents are sharp things, they will cut you if you try to juggle them.

Someone like Cheney may be made of sterner stuff, but I think Miers would swiftly hang herself.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Awesome news! :thumbsup:

Executive privilege, like most Bush Admin legal arguments, is total horsecrap.

you mean in this case and not executive privilege in general?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
you mean in this case and not executive privilege in general?

I think he was referring to this admin's claim of absolute immunity. And if so, I agree with him completely - it is total horsecrap.