Federal judge orders FDA to make morning-after pill available to people of any age

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Does it matter what I feel?

I can ask loaded questions too.

You're right - since it doesn't matter what you feel, I've decided to simply put you on ignore, since this shows you're 100% troll.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
You're right - since it doesn't matter what you feel, I've decided to simply put you on ignore, since this shows you're 100% troll.

tumblr_lp5rtqrVDu1qaj18co1_400.jpg

Guess you missed our troll definition discussion earlier this week.

Hint: you're using it wrong.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Or consent to sex. I think that the best solution is to set the age PlanB is available OTC to the same as the age of consent in the state.

Why not have the same age restrictions as other OTC medications?

Examples: aspirin, cold medicine, contraceptives

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The usual pissing match.

I'll ask a question outside the 2 neuron only rule and ask on what legal basis does the judge overrule the FDA?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The usual pissing match.

I'll ask a question outside the 2 neuron only rule and ask on what legal basis does the judge overrule the FDA?

That the government's decision to continue to deny it to all ages against medical advice was arbitrary and capricious.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
That the government's decision to continue to deny it to all ages against medical advice was arbitrary and capricious.

Interesting. We'll have to see how that works in higher courts with "any age".

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is the part that confuses me about some of the righties that post here.

They keep complaining that they want the government out of their lives, ok I get that.

Then the government does something to get out of their lives and they bitch about it.

I don't really give a damn who gets an abortion. There are too many morons in the world, if someone wants to abort a future moron then I highly encourage them to do it.

However this particular ruling has nothing to do with getting government getting out of people's lives, and everything to do with a judge supporting the pro-choice agenda. What is this judge's opinion on eliminating the drinking age? Or the smoking age? What about all of the other drugs that children are not allowed to buy and consume OTC?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Forcing Plan B to be a perscription for minors versus non minors is stupid. Either have it as perscription for everyone or not. It's either a dangerous substances that requires a doctor's knowledge on proper use or not.

My opinion, the need for a prescription on this is stupid. Now I don't mind places forcing a parental consent form to be filled out for minor's to purchase Plan B or the equivalent over the counter. Really the same for birth control pills as well.

Look, kids when they hit teenage years are going to be tempted to have sex. Some won't but most will. There is no stopping it as a "society" and trying to dictate to teenage kids as a whole what their actions should be will never work. It hasn't ever worked in the history of mankind from any country. Ask any parent how well they "control" the actions of their teenage children and the honest ones will give it to you straight.

Personally I think the ruling of the judge is just fine. Remove the prescription requirement from obtaining the morning after pill for teens if it is removed for adults. If areas want to put into places laws that restrict access of the medication to minors then have them put in laws that require parental consent forms for anyone under X age to purchase. That solves the problem to everyone's liking.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Why not have the same age restrictions as other OTC medications?

Examples: aspirin, cold medicine, contraceptives

Last time I bought Robitussin I had to show my Drivers License. Are you suggesting there are not age restrictions on other OTC medications?

Also you do realize that PlanB is basically a high-dosage version of a prescription medication right?

Essentially this ruling is saying children should be able to buy extra-strength tylenol, but not regular tylenol. :hmm:

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Honest question. Does this mean that men of any age can now get the pill?

Clearing the need for a prescription seems to clear the gender requirement. No?

I can think of several insidious reasons why a teenage boy might want to procure some of these. I doubt we are going to have to worry about this issue but I wonder what the answer is.

If a boy wants to get some of the pills, can he? :hmm:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Honest question. Does this mean that men of any age can now get the pill?

Clearing the need for a prescription seems to clear the gender requirement. No?

I can think of several insidious reasons why a teenage boy might want to procure some of these. I doubt we are going to have to worry about this issue but I wonder what the answer is.

If a boy wants to get some of the pills, can he? :hmm:

I can buy them now as a guy.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Last time I bought Robitussin I had to show my Drivers License. Are you suggesting there are not age restrictions on other OTC medications?

Also you do realize that PlanB is basically a high-dosage version of a prescription medication right?

Essentially this ruling is saying children should be able to buy extra-strength tylenol, but not regular tylenol. :hmm:

There is no federal requirement for you to be 18 to buy Robitussin that I am aware of.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Personally I think the ruling of the judge is just fine. Remove the prescription requirement from obtaining the morning after pill for teens if it is removed for adults.

nope. MINORS should not have OTC access to the abortion pill or birth-control pills. those are powerful drugs and parents should know if their MINOR children are taking them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Interesting. We'll have to see how that works in higher courts with "any age".

The case is pretty compelling. The FDA engaged in a pretty huge study on it and issued recommendations that it be sold this way after seeing the results. Sibelius overruled them and didn't give much of a reason. To me it was a pretty clear case of politics over medical advice.

sourn

Dec 26, 2012
Not entirely perhaps, but its proven that children, as a whole, don't have the maturity to make responsible decisions. So the same reasoning should be applied here. Only here, you also have a medical reason to deny this pill without a medical professional's consent first.

So basically what you're saying is it's bad for the government to play parent, but ok for the doctors.

Give me a break it's A MORNING AFTER PILL! If they're old enough to have make a decision that could effect the rest of their lives their old enough to take a pill.

Parents don't like this? Then be a parent already and quit leaving it up to others to raise your damn child.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The case is pretty compelling. The FDA engaged in a pretty huge study on it and issued recommendations that it be sold this way after seeing the results. Sibelius overruled them and didn't give much of a reason. To me it was a pretty clear case of politics over medical advice.

Compelling indeed. When was the last time the FDA made recommendations FOR the sale of something a certain way. Rather than just not prohibiting something.

From my experience in the pharmaceutical industry and now the GMO crop industry, the FDA's MO is usually to recommend or tell you how you can't sell something. I can't come up with a scenario where they recommended FOR anything. Usually, its the case where if they don't prohibit something then you can do it but this seems to go further than just not prohibiting.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
With or without a prescription?

Without. I have several times. I'm not a minor either. I walk into any drug store pharmacy and ask to buy it. They check my ID and I make the purchase.

By removing the prescription bit, but changing it to having parental or guardian consent to obtain for minors it solves any problem you might imagine of having teenage boys able to buy this.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Without. I have several times. I'm not a minor either. I walk into any drug store pharmacy and ask to buy it. They check my ID and I make the purchase.

By removing the prescription bit, but changing it to having parental or guardian consent to obtain for minors it solves any problem you might imagine of having teenage boys able to buy this.

Thanks and I absolutely agree with your last paragraph.

/tinfoilhat

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

Exactly. In fact this case was unique in that it was the only time the FDA imposed an age limit in the Rx/OTC distinction, and they did so based on no scientific evidence. Siebilius (sp?) procrastinated forever in this decision until Congress held a gun to her head and held up confirming appointments until a decision was made. And its pretty clear the decision was a political, not medical one.

As far as I'm concerned the original rule was a lot like don't ask, don't tell and the DOMA-bad social policy relutantly implemented in order to appease authoritarian moralists.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
Give me a break it's A MORNING AFTER PILL! If they're old enough to have make a decision that could effect the rest of their lives their old enough to take a pill.

Exactly what I have been saying. The age to get PlanB otc should be the same as the age of consent in the state.

mwilliams8705

Apr 4, 2013
It is crazy these days how young kids are having sex.

With that, I agree, there should be no age limit to get the morning after pill.

You could see this as encouraging habits or preventing unwanted teen pregnancies.