Federal appeals court in San Francisco overturns an estimated 100 death sentences

Jan 12, 2003
-- Federal appeals court in San Francisco overturns an estimated 100 death sentences.
Watch CNN or log on to http://CNN.com (AOL Keyword: CNN) for the latest news.

..link will follow once it hits the internet news sites.

Looks like California Judges are at it again, though...but can't pass judgement until the 'facts' are in.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
-- Federal appeals court in San Francisco overturns an estimated 100 death sentences.
Watch CNN or log on to http://CNN.com (AOL Keyword: CNN) for the latest news.

..link will follow once it hits the internet news sites.

Looks like California Judges are at it again, though...but can't pass judgement until the 'facts' are in.

These are federal judges, not California judges.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
A federal appeals court threw out an estimated 100 death sentences in Arizona and two other states Monday because the inmates were sent to death row by judges instead of juries.

The case stems from a 2002 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, in which the high court found that juries, not judges, must render death sentences. But the Supreme Court left unclear whether the new rules should apply retroactively to inmates awaiting execution.
Seems like you should have a problem with the USSC not the Appeals Court (that's if you have a problem with it)

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Looks like it will be appealed to the USSC, which is what has to happen. If the USSC clarified whether it applies retroactively or not, it wouldn't even be an issue. Now the USSC will get that chance.

Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperTool

These are federal judges, not California judges.

Thanks...just posted the news alert without thinking before the
STORY hit the news sites. I stand corrected and I am sorry I passed judgement on California judges :) ...given their track record, it was an honest (and partisan) mistake.