Fed refuses to disclose recipients of $2 trillion in loans.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...cH.tY&refer=worldwide#

Nov. 10 (Bloomberg) -- The Federal Reserve is refusing to identify the recipients of almost $2 trillion of emergency loans from American taxpayers or the troubled assets the central bank is accepting as collateral.

Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said in September they would comply with congressional demands for transparency in a $700 billion bailout of the banking system. Two months later, as the Fed lends far more than that in separate rescue programs that didn't require approval by Congress, Americans have no idea where their money is going or what securities the banks are pledging in return.

``The collateral is not being adequately disclosed, and that's a big problem,'' said Dan Fuss, vice chairman of Boston- based Loomis Sayles & Co., where he co-manages $17 billion in bonds. ``In a liquid market, this wouldn't matter, but we're not. The market is very nervous and very thin.''

Bloomberg News has requested details of the Fed lending under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act and filed a federal lawsuit Nov. 7 seeking to force disclosure.

The Fed made the loans under terms of 11 programs, eight of them created in the past 15 months, in the midst of the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression.

``It's your money; it's not the Fed's money,'' said billionaire Ted Forstmann, senior partner of Forstmann Little & Co. in New York. ``Of course there should be transparency.''
Treasury, Fed, Obama

Federal Reserve spokeswoman Michelle Smith declined to comment on the loans or the Bloomberg lawsuit. Treasury spokeswoman Michele Davis didn't respond to a phone call and an e-mail seeking comment.

President-elect Barack Obama's economic adviser, Jason Furman, also didn't respond to an e-mail and a phone call seeking comment from Obama. In a Sept. 22 campaign speech, Obama promised to ``make our government open and transparent so that anyone can ensure that our business is the people's business.''

The Fed's lending is significant because the central bank has stepped into a rescue role that was also the purpose of the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, bailout plan -- without safeguards put into the TARP legislation by Congress.

Total Fed lending topped $2 trillion for the first time last week and has risen by 140 percent, or $1.172 trillion, in the seven weeks since Fed governors relaxed the collateral standards on Sept. 14. The difference includes a $788 billion increase in loans to banks through the Fed and $474 billion in other lending, mostly through the central bank's purchase of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac bonds.
$2 trillion taken already and we don't even know where it is going. Sadly, not even surprised anymore. When will we as Americans not take this bullshit anymore? (rhetorical: never)

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: vhx
$2 trillion taken already and we don't even know where it is going. Sadly, not even surprised anymore.

When will we as Americans not take this bullshit anymore? (rhetorical: never)

Actually when you have enough people so negatively affected they can't take it anymore you will see a Revolution.

You can take that to the bank.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Seems like it will take a new President to set things right.
70 days 2 hours 43 minutes

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Get off my back! I said I'd pay it back and I will!!

Please use NASA to forward your messages to me at my Lunar Address. The Craters are especially exquisite this time of year. toodlydoo then

beyoku

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
I am stashing money in my overseas bank account bi-weekly.
I would suggest to anyone that can do so to open an account in a different Country in their local currency.
With actions like this we never know when the US Dollar will hit a wall. By then it will be much too late.

g8wayrebel

Nov 15, 2004
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...cH.tY&refer=worldwide#

Nov. 10 (Bloomberg) -- The Federal Reserve is refusing to identify the recipients of almost $2 trillion of emergency loans from American taxpayers or the troubled assets the central bank is accepting as collateral.

Fed Chairman Ben S. Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said in September they would comply with congressional demands for transparency in a $700 billion bailout of the banking system. Two months later, as the Fed lends far more than that in separate rescue programs that didn't require approval by Congress, Americans have no idea where their money is going or what securities the banks are pledging in return.

``The collateral is not being adequately disclosed, and that's a big problem,'' said Dan Fuss, vice chairman of Boston- based Loomis Sayles & Co., where he co-manages $17 billion in bonds. ``In a liquid market, this wouldn't matter, but we're not. The market is very nervous and very thin.''

Bloomberg News has requested details of the Fed lending under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act and filed a federal lawsuit Nov. 7 seeking to force disclosure.

The Fed made the loans under terms of 11 programs, eight of them created in the past 15 months, in the midst of the biggest financial crisis since the Great Depression.

``It's your money; it's not the Fed's money,'' said billionaire Ted Forstmann, senior partner of Forstmann Little & Co. in New York. ``Of course there should be transparency.''
Treasury, Fed, Obama

Federal Reserve spokeswoman Michelle Smith declined to comment on the loans or the Bloomberg lawsuit. Treasury spokeswoman Michele Davis didn't respond to a phone call and an e-mail seeking comment.

President-elect Barack Obama's economic adviser, Jason Furman, also didn't respond to an e-mail and a phone call seeking comment from Obama. In a Sept. 22 campaign speech, Obama promised to ``make our government open and transparent so that anyone can ensure that our business is the people's business.''

The Fed's lending is significant because the central bank has stepped into a rescue role that was also the purpose of the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, bailout plan -- without safeguards put into the TARP legislation by Congress.

Total Fed lending topped $2 trillion for the first time last week and has risen by 140 percent, or $1.172 trillion, in the seven weeks since Fed governors relaxed the collateral standards on Sept. 14. The difference includes a $788 billion increase in loans to banks through the Fed and $474 billion in other lending, mostly through the central bank's purchase of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac bonds.
$2 trillion taken already and we don't even know where it is going. Sadly, not even surprised anymore. When will we as Americans not take this bullshit anymore? (rhetorical: never)

Yeah , a new Democrat is exactly what you need to keep the guys who did this in line.
You asked for change, now you're going to get it!!
And they say Democrats are for the little guy?? RIGHT!!!

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: beyoku
I would suggest to anyone that can do so to open an account in a different Country in their local currency.
With actions like this we never know when the US Dollar will hit a wall. By then it will be much too late.

yes that must be why the dollar is gaining power against all other currencies.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
$2 trillion taken already and we don't even know where it is going. Sadly, not even surprised anymore.

Actually when you have enough people so negatively affected they can't take it anymore you will see a Revolution.

Why revolt? They should just leave!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: soccerballtux
Originally posted by: beyoku

yes that must be why the dollar is gaining power against all other currencies.

Yeah, and it'll just keep getting higher.

Just like housing prices. :thumbsup:

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Wait! You mean the same government idiots who got us into this mess are making it even worse even after we throw insane amounts of money at them? Shocking!

Sure that 700B is getting soaked, bilked, and milked by thousands of government officials who are slightly less corrupt then Satan himself, but the answer here is simple. We just need to factor in the amount of corruption, and adjust the bailout package for that. I'm thinking if we need 700 billion, we should give 1 trillion instead of holding the massive criminal organization that is become Washington D.C. accountable. :roll:

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
Ugh, how is this legal? No transparency? No Congress approval?
And secondly, wtf2trilliondollars? What does that even mean? Is this real money? How hard would it be to pocket 10,000 of 2,000,000,000,000?
Seriously, who makes this shit up.

edit: ah I see it's 2 trillion total loaned, but I can't see how a lot is non disclosed money. How can someone possibly not be able to track their own damn money to where it's going?

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: the unknown
Ugh, how is this legal? No transparency? No Congress approval?
And secondly, wtf2trilliondollars? What does that even mean? Is this real money? How hard would it be to pocket 10,000 of 2,000,000,000,000?
Seriously, who makes this shit up.

edit: ah I see it's 2 trillion total loaned, but I can't see how a lot is non disclosed money. How can someone possibly not be able to track their own damn money to where it's going?

Starting last December (theoretically August one year ago) the Federal Reserve embarked on massive programs to pump cash into financial markets.

They've done it with repo agreements, Treasury auctions and loans collateralized with anything from bundled car loans to credit card debt.

You damn right they don't want the American Citizen to know the extent of their financial manipulation.

In the late 1970's the Fed had a Chairman by the name of G. William Miller who refused to raise the discount rate and tighten the money supply - - - to correct years of abuse by Richard Nixon and Arthur Burns.

Here is an article entitled G. William Bernanke using Ben Bernanke as a Miller-like clone who gives into political pressure for cheap money.

With Cox at the SEC, Paulson at Treasury, Bush in the White House and Bernanke at the Fed it's like a perfect storm of Dumb Ass Fiscal and Trade Policy. Throw in trade deficits with China and Korea, tax breaks for offshore companies and an economy based upon consumption and cheap credit and we are just plain screwed.

Correcting this mess is going to get ugly.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
The abortion thread has 5 times more replies than this one. How pathetic is this country?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Yes, that is a safe guarantee. The only question is when does the average Joe reach the breaking point? Maybe after sales flounder the holiday season and lots of stores go bankrupt?

Could be soon, could be nowhere near present day. It is difficult to tell, but we are certainly on the right course for it to be soon.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre
The abortion thread has 5 times more replies than this one. How pathetic is this country?

It's pretty smart considering you're scraping the bottom of the IQ barrel.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000

No kidding. Americans just can't be bothered by this 'irrelevant' issue. Maybe Americans do deserve to get screwed and lose their money and future of nation.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Evan

Oh look, here is Federal Reserve Lover #2 chiming in telling us how dumb we are to question the financial geniuses government has appointed for us.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Oh look, here is Federal Reserve Lover #2 chiming in telling us how dumb we are to question the financial geniuses government has appointed for us.

You wouldn't be referring to my new sig, would you?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

Just like the drive for $5?

ChunkiMunki

Dec 21, 2001
Transperency? "it's none of your business, really." it's very complicated and the consequences will be dire, perhaps an even Greater Depression, if you don't shut up and pay. If you don't pay, we will be forced to create an even scarier scenario until you do pay.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: techs

You wouldn't be referring to my new sig, would you?

Greenspan made a mistake alright, he left his ideas of getting rid of the Fed and instead, took it over and helped create the biggest financial crisis ever.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: babylon5

No kidding. Americans just can't be bothered by this 'irrelevant' issue. Maybe Americans do deserve to get screwed and lose their money and future of nation.

Until we take the country away from the Religious people.. it will continue to fail