FEAR Of Flying

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HardcoreRomantic

Jun 20, 2007
I'm not really scared of flying, but I get really nervous when the plane starts to taxi.

I've found that not sleeping for at least 24+ hours before the flight really helps. I pretty much get on the plane and pass out. I managed to sleep for the 9 or so hour flight from Chicago to Copenhagen. And the hour and a half connecting flights before and after.

cougar78

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
www.forthinc.com
flown six years about an average of twice a month, nothing to be scared of. Take your scripts and/or something to knock you out and you will be fine.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
You should watch mayday on discovery channel once in a while, it's fascinating. It's about passenger plane accidents and how they spent minutes spiraling down to their death before hitting the water, it gives you something to think about. Think about it, a plane only has two wings, and you need both of them to stay in the air. Well, anyways, good luck to you.

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001
More people were killed on bicycles (794), in recreational boats (808), and by walking in front of trains (831) than were killed in airplane disasters.

Remember: More people are killed annually by donkeys than die in air crashes. Air travel remains 21 times safer than driving in a car, according to the National Safety Council.

Don't worry bout the flying, just be really careful on your donkey on the way to the airport.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
i love flying..but i am always happy when we land :)

From a logical point of view yes...i freak way more when i am on the interstate than sitting on a plane, and statictics are in my favor there.

Look at airports like ORD or similiar...there are planes going up and down literally every 30 seconds or so...when was the last time there was a major plane crash or something ? You aware that we deal with thousands of flights eevry day ? And that's just on ONE airport. And then look at the stats of traffic accidents.

Btw...yes...xanax will knock you out good :)

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
where is the OP?
why isn't he posting from the airplane? at least an update from the airport would be nice
anyone check google news and see if there have been any flights go missing/crash?

effee

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2004
Fall asleep on the plane, or you'll freak out everytime the plane shudders.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Pop the xanax, you should be ok. If you're like me you can have a few drinks to help the xanax down :D But some people can't stomach anything and everything, so YMMV.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
Fly Southwest...no first class cabin for them to take over first thus taking over the plane.