FEAR 3 Reviews

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Just checked out a couple reviews for FEAR 3. I must say I was not particularly looking forward to this game. While I loved FEAR 1, the campaign in FEAR 2 was a bit of a let down, and there was nothing special multiplayer wise. Looks like they have done a really decent campaign this time around, and multiplayer and co-op seems to be offering much more than the standard co-op and team games.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1177250p1.html

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/220581/review-f-e-a-r-3-360-ps3/

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
The UPS man should be dropping my copy off today (thanks Amazon release day delivery!).. I'm really looking forward to it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I own the original F.E.A.R., I completed it once, I never played it again ever since. It was "alright", overall that is, I really liked the A.I though, but other than that it wasn't anything special or memorable, for me anyway. The one thing I do remember reading about concerning F.E.A.R. 3 is that so called random events generator, or something like that, that despite being an FPS the developers managed to integrate some sort of randomized encounters, not sure how that would turn out in a story-driven game. I'm curious about that part, unless it was just pre-release gimmick stuff and turned out to be barely existent.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
At the time (2005), F.E.A.R. had some of the best AI and most intense firefights/shoot-outs of any FPS ever. Combined with really impressive graphics and environmental effects (again, for the time), made it a big hit.

I didn't much care for the plot (convoluted) or the "scare factor" (terribly cliche), but the shoot-outs and AI made it an awesome game.
It hasn't aged terribly well, the expansions were blah, and the sequel did nothing special for the genre, but as one of those folks who bought it a week after release and played it when it was new and special, it was a blast.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
From what I understand, the new sequel "F3AR" or whatever is pretty meh. Maybe not bad, but just another shooter that doesn't really bring anything interesting to the table.

I was a huge fan of the original FEAR and it's expansion packs. FEAR 2 was a letdown. I'm not even going to touch FEAR 3.

I guess it's hard for them to surpass the awesomeness of the original. :) Fantastic gunplay, physics, atmosphere... it just hasn't been the same with the sequels though.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
At the time (2005), F.E.A.R. had some of the best AI and most intense firefights/shoot-outs of any FPS ever. Combined with really impressive graphics and environmental effects (again, for the time), made it a big hit.

I didn't much care for the plot (convoluted) or the "scare factor" (terribly cliche), but the shoot-outs and AI made it an awesome game.
It hasn't aged terribly well, the expansions were blah, and the sequel did nothing special for the genre, but as one of those folks who bought it a week after release and played it when it was new and special, it was a blast.

This is spot on. I loved FEAR 1 for all the reasons you just listed. I played FEAR 2, it was a fun, although typical FPS. The multiplayer in FEAR 2 has potential with the mechs, but it just was quite refined enough, plus the sound effects were meh. I will definitely pick up FEAR 3 and give it a shot, especially if the PC screen shots look nice :D

Baasha

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2010
really disappointed with this. I can't believe the graphics look so terrible for 2011. I mean, what were they trying to do? Retro-FEAR?

The first FEAR was just epic. So many hours of fun just blasting fools with friends. Ahh.. miss those days... FEAR 2 was lame and this looks just dumb.

With games like BF3 around the corner, FEAR 3 is most definitely forgettable and worth not more than $10 IMO.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Paxton Fettel is back from the dead with a bullet hole in his head..? Come on.. Could they possibly milk the same played out plot line any more at this point..

I've typically enjoyed the FEAR games, but after playing through 1, 2, and most of the expansions i'm kind of sick of it. I may pick this up when it hits the bargain bin but the fact that they resurrected Paxton Fettel (again) has already turned me away from picking this up right away. It comes across as just another rehash to me, and i've already played a FEAR rehash, what.. two, three times now..

CrystalBay

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2002
F3AR is unlike the original FEAR ! No full time dynamic shadows and lighting:thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I installed it, but it won't work with my wireless X360 controller. (A known issue now).
Guess I'll wait for a patch. :(
I got it free from a former co-worker, so no money lost, but I still would like to try it.
I played 1, but skipped 2.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
Fear 1 multiplayer is still free, still fun and there's still a couple of servers out there with players.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
The one thing I hated about the original FEAR was the fact that you were this uber tough super soldier yet couldn't break simple glass doors and step through. Way too limiting of exploration.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
The first fear was the sh t, loved that game. 2 kept me with the weird story line, and three ... we shall see.

Necc

Feb 15, 2011
The 1st one was epic, I like'd the 2nd for the story - the thing that is alma hunting me-, in F3ar im blasting killing soliders but sometimes I ask my self "why am i killing these poor soliders once again?" ididnt finish it yet - Chapter 7 - but so far didn't match my expectations.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The 1st one was epic, I like'd the 2nd for the story - the thing that is alma hunting me-, in F3ar im blasting killing soliders but sometimes I ask my self "why am i killing these poor soliders once again?" ididnt finish it yet - Chapter 7 - but so far didn't match my expectations.

I've just reached the 2nd area and I'm already thinking the same thing. Seems to be a lot of killing and less "WTF was that?!?!?" moments.