FCPGA Converter card

Zeph

Mar 16, 2000
I wanted to upgrade my P3V4X Slot one from a 733 to 933 and build a second system with the 733. However it seems impossible to find a 933 Slot1 so I was wondering if those FCPGA to Slot1 converts have work as intended and if there are any issues with them that I should know about. Any problems? I need to set up the second machine to do work and am tired of waiting for the Slot1's to magically appear.

Sorry if this has been covered and beat to death before,

Z

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Yeah the 933 part is almost rip off.. Slot converter works great, there is no problem, you probably pay less for a fc-pga and cheaper heatsinks.

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Zeph,

Yes you can use a slotket to put an FC-PGA Pentium on your P3V4X. I have an older PII 550E FC-PGA on mine using a MSI slotket. One word of warning tho... totally avoid using any generic coppermine compatable slotkets. I bought one when I first built my PC. I got nothing but hard lockups forcing me to power down and wait a while before my PC would even reboot. It was bad. I send the piece of junk back and ordered a good quality one from PCNUT. Lockups diappeared with the new MSI slocket and I've been overclocking my 550E to 733 with no problems since.

So do your self a big favor and order a good quality name brand slocket converter. I've read good things about the Iwill Slocket II, the MSI Master V2, and the ABIT slocket. Asus is probably a good part also.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
With a P3V4X, I recommend a jumperless slotket since you can control the voltage in bios. Gigabyte makes a nice slotket, very clean, no jumpers or capacitors or anything to go wrong.

Good Luck!

Chuffmaster2k

Jul 16, 2000
There have been many many threads about this in the past. Basically what it has come down to is that most people have been able to have a more stable system using the MSI slotket.

I personally have the Abit variety with my Abit board and have had no problems.

Good Luck.

jsp

Nov 14, 2000
I just say that i have tried a noname slotket on the same motherboard and an asus slotket. Both works fin now but i had an 235W psu before and with that one i couldnt o/c my cpu with the noname. Now with a 300W psu i run 700@933 1.7v and both of them works...i use the asus one at the monent its rev 1.02

Zuofu

Aug 19, 2000
I kinda like jumpered slotkeys because they allow you to change core voltage beyond what the MB allows. I have an Abit-BE6 II and it works very well.

fxsts

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I tried Asus, MSI, Abit, and Iwill with PPGA and FCPGA Celerons as well as some PIII's. According to my experience, all the chips I tried required the least voltage to run stable at certain speed on Asus slockets than others.

However, the problem with Asus slockets is that they do not have jumpers to fool the FSB speed (ie. run Celerons at 100Mhz instead of 66Mhz). Hence, if your motherboard is one of those which set the FSB automatically such as Intel BX boards, you will not be able to run your Celeron at 100Mhz or etc..

scrubman

Jul 6, 2000
NO JUMPERS??? good info!! i was thinking about buying one of those for my ASUS P3B-F but i know that with my Abit SlotkettIII it would not allow my to use "user mode" in BIOS... till i changed the jumpers and then boom! the grayed out box was available to change the fsb speed!

NEED THOSE JUMPERS!

of course i would hope that it would work having the ASUS slotkett on an ASUS mobo!

Also, after taking the hsf on and off about 20 times, i busted up the tiny cap that is mounted in a real bad spot on the Abit Slotkett III! It didnt come off, it sorted krumbled with part still there.. those idiots really should not have a surface mount or any mount component right under the catch for the fan clip! still works fine though! :)

Voltaire

Apr 17, 2000
Hearing about the word "jumperless" really frustrates me.
Last April, I bought the P3V4X+600E on an IWILL FCPGA adapter, set it to jumperless mode (I had all the jumpers on both the mobo and adapter in the correct positions), the mobo initiates, HD whirls, but the graphic card just wouldn't initiate at all.
But when set to jumper mode, things just work fine.
I am thinking of getting one of those jumperless adapters and see if I could run on jumeprless mode on the mobo... any recommendations?

Thanks.

Asus P3V4X/PIII600E@800 Retail(on jumpermode, dammit!)/Standard HSF/Samsung PC133 Cas3 128/Hercules Prophet2MX/SBLive! MP3+/IBM34GXP 20.4GB UDMA66 7200rpm/Allied Telesync 10/100 NIC/