FC-PGA vs Slot 1. Which is better and why?

beafer

Feb 24, 2000
Basically what is the main difference. I know FC-PGA is cheaper, same cache, socket 370.

CyberMenace

Sep 27, 2000
My best answer can only be, get a mobo with a Slot1 and also a slot 1 converter.
This way you can use both the cheaper FC-PGA cpus and maybe later on, when they get cheaper, the P3 which fits in a slot1.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'd have to disagree on the motherboard suggestion as Intel will only be making socket 370 chips in the future.

Intel released both slot1 and 370 chips because of the dominance of slot1 motherboards out there.

Which is better? I prefer the flip-chip because the core is directly touching the heatsink giving better cooling. I don't think any one is 'better' than the other. There are no differences between the processors other than packaging/interface.

Get ya a 370 chip on an MSI slocket and have fun! If you buy a slot1 processor you may not find a newer motherboard later on that is slot1 if you want to upgrade to a newer chipset.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I heard rumor that abit may be coming out with a Slot 1 i815 board - but it's only a rumor.
Anyway, I would go with a FC-PGA and use it on a slocket for older slot1 board.

But now, all i815 is only socket so you really can't get a converter...

BTW s370 chips are getting cheaper and cheaper while Slot1 only dropped slightly!

Performance wise, don't think there IS any difference.. but I can't tell.. it's just differnet packing..

rigor2

Banned
Sep 18, 2000
Think about this:

The distance travelled between the cpu and the ram, controller chips, is longer with a slot 1 processor.

1. More noise.
2. More power needed.
3. Slower (probably immeasurably to human eye). due to distance.
4. Less stable * See #2 #1

These are in theory of course, but make sense.

CyberMenace

Sep 27, 2000
The thing is, if you buy a socket motherboard now, you will never be able to fit a slot1 cpu in it !!

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
The slot 1 is a dying breed it was invented to allow for the not on die cache chips... The process of making chips now has moved forward in technology so why have all that extra mass PLUS! With a socket 370 platform you have one less set of contacts to develope a potential problem (resistance or complete loss of contact).

Flip side (no punn intended) the slot 1 can use older cpu`s also a socklet offers a couple of extra features over a S370 like voltage adj, virtual buss settings, they also make it easyer to mount heatsinks on and to be sure of good contact (visualy checking) a S370 on a board is not so easy (when mounting Celeron II`s & P3`s which have small die`s).

I think they both have good and not so good points but the S370 will be the future product... Uh AMD has followed suit also so there must be something besides cost to this change... my .02