FC-PGA v/s PPGA dilemma.

yugpatel

Feb 28, 2001
First of all don't laugh at me if this is a stupid quesetion.
I have Soyo SY 6VBA-133 motherboard. I am using Celeron PPGA 366@525 using slotket and Volcano II H/S/F.
Can I use P III 933, FC-PGA?
I am not sure about FC-PGA usage in soltket.
Please guide me. I tried to read FAQ but could not infer and yes/no decision.

sykopath79

Nov 2, 2000
Are we talking a Coppermine or Tualatin P3 core? It should run a CuMine P3 just fine but I don't know if that board supports Tualatins.

yugpatel

Feb 28, 2001
I have no idea about CPU yet. I am planning to buy a CPU from another AT member and he said it is FC-PGA.

RockDog

Oct 10, 1999
yugpatel,

A couple of months ago I upgraded my buddy's Soyo SY 6VBA-133 from a 400MHz Celeron to a 1.4GHz Celeron Tualatin using a Slot T adapter from upgradeware.com

Upgradeware

The upgrade only costed about $80 for the Slot T and CPU. I flashed the BIOS to the latest version. On post it only shows like 310MHz or something like that but CPUID and Sandra show 1400 MHz. All the bench marks came out about triple what they were before the upgrade so I know it's running at 1.4GHz. OH! I almost forgot! I even had the thing overclocked to 1.7GHz or 1.8GHz I can't remember exactly. Runs totally stable. Unbelievable. I clocked it back to default though because he's not too PC savy and lives like 50 miles away.

For an aging PC I think the upgrade was worth it.

Hope this helps,
RockDog

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
none are good choices. upgrading that old thing costs more then buying a new bundle.

you need a fcpga slocket for pcpga. there are 3 types of slockets, you can't mix.

with 1800+xp athlon retail packages with an ecs m/b at frys going for 69 dollars total.. includes cooler, theres little point in pouring money into an old m/b which even at 1.5ghz celly will be a slow dog compared. i know. i had two 1.1a@1.5ghz tuallies..back when they were worth it. ecs m/b can take sdram

lycurgus

Jun 23, 2002
It's not just a question of what the mobo supports, the slocket will also have to be able to handle it. I agree with previous comments that it's probably not worth it, considering the performance advantage and low cost of the lower-end Athlons and socket A mobos.

RockDog

Oct 10, 1999
When considering upgrading to an Athlon XP and mobo, I would think that a lot of the older systems would also need the power supply upgraded which would add another extra cost to the system.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Yep ,good point.

Also true that a PPGA only slocket won't support a FCPGA cpu ,forgot to mention that!:eek:

0roo0roo
I can't speak for prices in the USA ,but here in the UK its cheaper to buy a Slocket T (£22) & a Cel 1.2GHz (£31) than to buy an XP1800 (£42) & cheap mbrd (PC chips,£34)< crap mbrd!:disgust:.£53 vs £76 is still a fair difference, though having said that a Duron 1.2GHz is £27 (& that would leave room for upgrades:)) ,thats still £53 vs £69.......hmm I guess if you sold off the old mbrd & cpu for £15-20 which is quite do able that gap would close!.
PCchips mbrds still suck though!;)