FBI says judge Derrick Watson who ruled against Trump's travel ban is being threatened

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
This BS......that these judges are being threatened! It would be interesting to see if somebody associated with Trump is responsible for this.....also I understand that 3 other federal judges were also given added protection..........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fbi-says-judge-derrick-watson-105948746.html

A federal judge who blocked President Donald Trump's new travel ban is being offered protection by the FBI after threats to his safety.

In Honolulu, Hawaii, last Saturday 19 March Judge Derrick Watson rejected the Trump administration's attempts to stop his ruling halting Trump's executive order barring people from a handful of majority-Muslim nations from entering the US.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-...mp-travel-ban-now-receiving-threats-fbi-says/

HONOLULU --The FBI says authorities are aware that the federal judge in Hawaii who ruled against President Donald Trump’s travel ban has received threatening messages.

FBI spokeswoman Michele Ernst said Thursday the agency is aware of reports of threatening messages against U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson and is prepared to help if necessary.

Play Video
CBS This Morning
Trump attacks federal judge's decision to block revised travel ban
President Trump is firing back after a federal court struck down the new version of his controversial travel ban. Hawaii federal judge Derrick Wa...

While the FBI did not provide details on what states the threats are originating, sources told CBS affiliate KGMB that they are coming from the mainland, or the continental U.S.

Former federal agent Tommy Aiu told KGMB that it’s not unusual for additional deputies to be brought in to help the local U.S. Marshals office with protection needs.

“The U.S. Marshals service will do a critical risk assessment, look at the threat, make an analysis, and determine the level of protection needed,” he said.

Watson blocked the federal government from enforcing its ban on new visas for people from six mostly Muslim countries and its suspension of the nation’s refugee program. He issued his ruling last week hours before the travel ban was to go into effect.

The U.S. Marshals Service is responsible for protecting federal judicial officials, including judges and prosecutors. The service says marshals don’t discuss specific security measures but does provide additional protection when warranted

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Threatening messages are not ok, and action should be taken if can be. His actions and motives were curious, but certainly not worth receiving threats. The types of people who do this are pathetic. Sadly, it happens all the time.

Curious why you didn't post when the countless times death threats were sent by the left though? Pretty sure I know why.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/17/elector-threats/94003176/

Literally the second link after a quick search. Or the Texas Rep who actually received protection from the Texas Department of Public Safety this year because of death threats over a bill he filed. Death threats to him, his wife, and 7 month old child. Over a bill. There are many, many more such links when liberals sent death threats over something that they didn't agree with. And yes, many, many more from people on the right sending death threats for something they don't agree with too. If credible, action needs to be taken to all. Because this will continue to get worse, people think they can say anything they want behind the protection of a keyboard. It is not free speech, and they can be caught. But there are those here who act like this only happens one way, like everything else.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
This forum would be overrun if people posted a thread every time it happens. There is news about it far too often. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. There are a few people here who spam threads when it is the right shown in a poor light, yet do not do the same when reversed.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I doubt it is anyone related to Trump. His supporter perhaps, but not actual people that work for Trump.

Reactions: dank69

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Everyone in an administrative public service position gets threatended.
You should read some of the fanmail that female politicians recieve.. picture anal without lube and you get the gist.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This forum would be overrun if people posted a thread every time it happens. There is news about it far too often. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. There are a few people here who spam threads when it is the right shown in a poor light, yet do not do the same when reversed.

Just to recap: You're annoyed that when leftish people make threats against rightish people it isn't posted but when rightish people threaten leftish people it is. This is a point you feel strongly enough about to wander into threads like this repeatedly and make the same point with the same rhetoric over and over. Yet it would be just too much for you to post your own threads instead and directly take on the issue instead of crapping in other people's threads.

Ok then.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Threatening messages are not ok, and action should be taken if can be. His actions and motives were curious, but certainly not worth receiving threats. The types of people who do this are pathetic. Sadly, it happens all the time.

Curious why you didn't post when the countless times death threats were sent by the left though? Pretty sure I know why.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/17/elector-threats/94003176/

Literally the second link after a quick search. Or the Texas Rep who actually received protection from the Texas Department of Public Safety this year because of death threats over a bill he filed. Death threats to him, his wife, and 7 month old child. Over a bill. There are many, many more such links when liberals sent death threats over something that they didn't agree with. And yes, many, many more from people on the right sending death threats for something they don't agree with too. If credible, action needs to be taken to all. Because this will continue to get worse, people think they can say anything they want behind the protection of a keyboard. It is not free speech, and they can be caught. But there are those here who act like this only happens one way, like everything else.

When people bring up instances of threats or violence from one camp, they aren't obligated to simultaneously mention similar threats from the other. You deal with instances as they come up; yes, that Texas incident was bad, but that doesn't mean the OP had to mention it in the same breath.

Jan 25, 2011
When people bring up instances of threats or violence from one camp, they aren't obligated to simultaneously mention similar threats from the other. You deal with instances as they come up; yes, that Texas incident was bad, but that doesn't mean the OP had to mention it in the same breath.
To expand on this the right tend to go full bore conspiracy echo chamber which often lends to whack jobs thinking they have to take action on their own. The conspiracy theories about this judge are all over the right wing blogosphere.

I defy someone to demonstrate the same level and frequency from "the left" that mirrors things like pizzagate, Jade Helm. FEMA camps etc...

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Everyone in an administrative public service position gets threatended.
You should read some of the fanmail that female politicians recieve.. picture anal without lube and you get the gist.

Well if I should then Link it!

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Just to recap: You're annoyed that when leftish people make threats against rightish people it isn't posted but when rightish people threaten leftish people it is. This is a point you feel strongly enough about to wander into threads like this repeatedly and make the same point with the same rhetoric over and over. Yet it would be just too much for you to post your own threads instead and directly take on the issue instead of crapping in other people's threads.

Ok then.

I did not thread crap, I posted on the subject at hand. Gave my opinion on what he posted.

I am not even annoyed about how often it happens, just saddened by it. Which goes to the larger topic of media bias. Thread crapping is when people come into a thread, post off topic, and do nothing to add to the thread. Often times with numerous insults and personal attacks. Neither of which I did.

I am aware that he doesn't have to post anything he doesn't want to. My point was showing his (and others) bias.

The stories don't "come up" on some outlets. And they aren't posted here. Which makes one wonder why that is. It is a pretty clear answer, but I am sure most won't want to admit it.

Did you hear that Samantha Bee's TV show on TBS called a stage 4 cancer patient out for having "Nazi hair"? No? Hardly a peep about it on the liberal left media, if at all. Kid has brain cancer, and has part of his head shaved, at the CPAC. Never mind the fact that he is a registered Democrat, he just wanted to experience CPAC. You know, because he is going to die. Posters around here have posted that they love to watch her, apparently this sort of thing is ok with them because not a peep about it. Calling someone a Nazi is pretty ignorant in itself. Comparing a kid in a suit, sitting at a computer at CPAC to someone who killed and burned Jews is pathetic. That type of hair cut is popular now for all types of men too, which makes the comment even more ignorant.

Do you really think that if it was a conservative TV host calling someone at a Democratic function a "Nazi" over their hair, that it wouldn't have made headlines on all media outlets? That it wouldn't have been posted here? We both know it would have been much bigger news. Do you really think on the off chance it was posted here that the same responses would have been posted, "Disgusting", "Not surprised one bit"? Not by the same posters. The left likes to accept anyone and everything, which is fine. By judging him and many others just by his hair, is the same as judging a guy wearing women's clothing which they would pounce on someone for doing. More hypocrisy.

What was said sure seems "deplorable" yet people around here, and in the media act like its just the right who has people such as this. Again back to your comment, deal with instances as "they come up", yet they don't come up in most of the media. Because that goes against their agenda. So kinda hard to deal with them, when not reported on a lot of outlets. Most media leans left, this is pretty obvious by how they report, and who they contributed to. There are shitty outlets on the right too. I'm done rambling, and with this topic. Seems most people aren't actually outraged at things like discussed in this topic, just when one side does it.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I did not thread crap, I posted on the subject at hand. Gave my opinion on what he posted.

I am not even annoyed about how often it happens, just saddened by it. Which goes to the larger topic of media bias. Thread crapping is when people come into a thread, post off topic, and do nothing to add to the thread. Often times with numerous insults and personal attacks. Neither of which I did.

You spent about half of your post not addressing the subject at hand and instead indulged your interest in dinging liberals and posters in general here over your opinion of them not sufficiently covering stories which you think are comparable. Then you shirked any responsibility when it was pointed out that you are totally free to post things on your own. This qualifies as thread crapping IMO. Looking at the rest of your new post only reinforces that opinion.

As to the subject at hand I think any violence either threatened or actual against the judiciary is reprehensible, no matter how they rule. One of my relatives was a judge and threats of bodily harm and death were a fact of life if not routine. There was even an actual attempt on his life once. Any person who make these threats and/or takes action should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I am aware that he doesn't have to post anything he doesn't want to. My point was showing his (and others) bias.

The stories don't "come up" on some outlets. And they aren't posted here. Which makes one wonder why that is. It is a pretty clear answer, but I am sure most won't want to admit it.

Did you hear that Samantha Bee's TV show on TBS called a stage 4 cancer patient out for having "Nazi hair"? No? Hardly a peep about it on the liberal left media, if at all. Kid has brain cancer, and has part of his head shaved, at the CPAC. Never mind the fact that he is a registered Democrat, he just wanted to experience CPAC. You know, because he is going to die. Posters around here have posted that they love to watch her, apparently this sort of thing is ok with them because not a peep about it. Calling someone a Nazi is pretty ignorant in itself. Comparing a kid in a suit, sitting at a computer at CPAC to someone who killed and burned Jews is pathetic. That type of hair cut is popular now for all types of men too, which makes the comment even more ignorant.

Do you really think that if it was a conservative TV host calling someone at a Democratic function a "Nazi" over their hair, that it wouldn't have made headlines on all media outlets? That it wouldn't have been posted here? We both know it would have been much bigger news. Do you really think on the off chance it was posted here that the same responses would have been posted, "Disgusting", "Not surprised one bit"? Not by the same posters. The left likes to accept anyone and everything, which is fine. By judging him and many others just by his hair, is the same as judging a guy wearing women's clothing which they would pounce on someone for doing. More hypocrisy.

What was said sure seems "deplorable" yet people around here, and in the media act like its just the right who has people such as this. Again back to your comment, deal with instances as "they come up", yet they don't come up in most of the media. Because that goes against their agenda. So kinda hard to deal with them, when not reported on a lot of outlets. Most media leans left, this is pretty obvious by how they report, and who they contributed to. There are shitty outlets on the right too. I'm done rambling, and with this topic. Seems most people aren't actually outraged at things like discussed in this topic, just when one side does it.

That's bad and callous, but at the same time, the best way of describing your behavior: you're trying to "all lives matter" the discussion. That is, distract from the problem we're talking about by pointing out that there are problems elsewhere.

The issue in this thread is that the judge who blocked Trump's immigration ban is receiving threats. You can point out that these kinds of threats aren't unique, but please don't shift the attention away from it like you've tried so far. In this case, it's highly ironic that people who are supposedly worried about safety for Americans (they're not, but that's another discussion entirely) would gladly threaten a fellow American. That judge is no doubt glad that he lives in Hawaii, and that most of the Islamophobes who want him dead are on the other side of an ocean.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandorski