FBI Planted Bug in Philadelphia Mayor's Office

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
"The timing of the discovery of these listening devices seems incredibly strange, seeing that we are four weeks out of the election, and we have a Democratic mayor ahead in the polls, and we are on the eve of the first mayoral debate," Street campaign spokesman Frank Keel said.

"Do we believe that the Republican Party, both at the federal level and state level, is pulling out every stop to get Pennsylvania in 2004? Absolutely," Keel said. "Is the Republican Party capable of dirty tricks? I think that is well-documented."
------------------------------------------

It's Phillygate...

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
"The timing of the discovery of these listening devices seems incredibly strange, seeing that we are four weeks out of the election, and we have a Democratic mayor ahead in the polls, and we are on the eve of the first mayoral debate," Street campaign spokesman Frank Keel said.

"Do we believe that the Republican Party, both at the federal level and state level, is pulling out every stop to get Pennsylvania in 2004? Absolutely," Keel said. "Is the Republican Party capable of dirty tricks? I think that is well-documented."
------------------------------------------

It's Phillygate...

And will nothing come of it, except a few internet flamewars? Yup. Why? Because it's not a sex scandal.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Clearly this is a Patriot Act issue . . . so stop asking questions . . . you don't need to know.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Clearly this is a Patriot Act issue . . . so stop asking questions . . . you don't need to know.

Or maybe it is a real investigation;)

Could be a conspiracy, but also could be something real.

CkG

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
This sounds alot worse than outing some CIA person to me unless he is under survalence.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
This has to be part of an investigation. No way could the FBI be conducting some sort of black bag dirty tricks thing. Not in this day and age.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
It could certainly be real investigation, I guess the timing is curious . . . unless of course it is related to election activity. At this point, it is abundantly clear to any potential target that the FBI is collecting information from people associated with the mayor. So what's the big deal of saying the bug was part of an ongoing investigation and leave it at that until charges arrive? When you get these long pauses between discovery and explanation . . . it does invite the notion that someone is trying to formulate a good story.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
This has to be part of an investigation. No way could the FBI be conducting some sort of black bag dirty tricks thing. Not in this day and age.

Why not?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
10-9-2003 Pa. Leaders Ask FBI to Explain Bug

Mayor John Street, a Democrat, is locked in a bitter rematch against Republican businessman Sam Katz, and the campaign has been marked by charges of intimidation and race-baiting.

In August, someone tossed what may have been been an unlit firebomb through the window of a Katz campaign office. An aide to Street and a former city employee were charged with making threats after getting into a confrontation the same day. Supporters of Street, who is black, and of Katz, who is white, have accused each other of race-baiting.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
John Street, the Phila Mayor, keeps going on tv and alluding to the bugging being part of this last-few-weeks-before-the-election conspiracy by the other political party.

He's just playing that card a bit too much for my tastes, which is beginning to make him look, if anything, that he had it planted there to make the republican challengers look bad.

obviously the FBI had quickly, neatly removed the bug system upon the Mayor & Police finding it. the FBI admits to the plant. the FBI are still not willing to "confirm or deny" anything.

Logically, if the FBI planted the device, they are monitoring, if not investigating, John Street. I don't see why he keeps trying to point in another direction.

Streets' administration, and history, has been dogged by occasional underhanded dealings.