Favour from Skylake users.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with Argus monitor where the core speeds aren't being logged correctly. I initially thought it was down to Skylake being too new but it seems through testing from both myself and one of the Argus team on my computer that something else is polling the core speed register on the CPU and blocking Argus monitor from getting a reading.

Was hoping Skylake users would be able to download and install the program (don't worry it is very safe), see if it is working for them and let me know their hardware combinations along with what versions of motherboard drivers they are using and if any software installed that either came with the motherboard or has the potential to use this register. Am particularly interested in things like Asus AI suite or vender specific equivalent, Intel Xtreme Tuning, Afterburner etc.

You can get the download the beta version that has Skylake temperatures enabled from here.

After installing go to the CPU turbo tab within the Performance tab and you should see a fluctuating graph that shows exactly what each core is clocked at or turbo'd to in real time. Experiment with different loads if you like. It should not be locked at one frequency. Mine is locked at 4GHz.

Last edited:

i7Baby

Jul 23, 2015
Try CPU-Z instead. Your the only person I've heard of that uses Argus.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Try CPU-Z instead. Your the only person I've heard of that uses Argus.

Argus is so much better for seeing all your cores in real time,not just an amalgamation of the 4 different frequencies. the CPUz reading doesn't show the whole picture, and it doesn't update as quickly. Speedstep works a lot faster then most people realise.

It also has many other useful features like accurate CPU temps in a plotted graph, same for GPU temps, fan speed, clock speed etc, all in one easy to look at graph + custom fan profiles.

It monitors HDD temps in the same way plus it shows smart information including how many times a drive has powered up and its total uptime. It also has a good built in benchmark.

One of my fave features is the ability to set my side case fan to sync up with GPU temperatures so it only speeds up when the GPU gets hot. Much more useful for me than having it rely on CPU temps.

It has all this and a lot more in one application, why would I use multiple programs when it is all combined into this one?

Last edited:

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
And how's it working for you?

Well up until I upgraded it was working perfectly, hence why I want it working again. I suggest you try it for yourself before mocking it, I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Often the program needs to be updated to accurately read a new CPU. There's probably a bug that needs to be worked out.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Often the program needs to be updated to accurately read a new CPU. There's probably a bug that needs to be worked out.

Well this is what we want to find out. The programmer is convinced it is software blocking the hardware polling, but I want to find out if other Skylake users have the same issue, and whether it is vendor specific or has to do with what utilities are installed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well this is what we want to find out. The programmer is convinced it is software blocking the hardware polling, but I want to find out if other Skylake users have the same issue, and whether it is vendor specific or has to do with what utilities are installed.

You do know that by default, Win10 installs a Hypervisor and uses it for a "Core" OS, and what we think of as Windows, actually runs as a "Guest" OS, right?

Maybe the Hypervisor layer is interfering?

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
You do know that by default, Win10 installs a Hypervisor and uses it for a "Core" OS, and what we think of as Windows, actually runs as a "Guest" OS, right?

Maybe the Hypervisor layer is interfering?

I did not. Does this mean you need VT-d to run W10? As it happens I'm still running 7 and intend to do so until the privacy issues have been ironed out.

HWInfo has a lot of great features but it doesn't present them in a way that makes easy to quickly pinpoint the information I need. I'll probably still use it for some things but I'm also going to us Argus for monitoring temps and setting fan curves.

Both programs offer different features.

Last edited:

i7Baby

Jul 23, 2015
Yeah I'm sticking with W7 till early next year when, hopefully, the reported W10 bugs will be ironed out.

HWInfo is about as good an overall monitor that I've found so far. But it does have its limitations - mainly due to poor motherboard sensors; especially on amd boards.