Favorites folders won't expand in IE drop-down menu

aircasper

Jan 26, 2001
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right forum to post this question. I'm having trouble with internet explorer on my wife's latitude d600 with windows xp professional (with SP2) and the latest version of explorer. At seemingly random times, when I open up internet explorer and click on the favorites drop-down menu, I can see sub folders in the favorites menu except they don't have the little drop-down triangle to the right of the sub folders, so the only way to see the favorites links inside the sub folders is to actually click on the sub folder in the favorites drop-down menu, which then causes explorer to open up a separate window with the links contained in the subfolder. However, sometimes internet explorer will work correctly and will allow me to highlight the subfolder which then automatically opens a drop-down list of the links in the subfolder. I can't figure out what's going on. Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance.

andy

aircasper

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Does this happen in Windows Explorer as well?

oops, forgot about my post here. yes, the problem does happen with windows explorer as well.

catrats

Aug 30, 2001
Does this problem apply only to the Favorites menu? Can you expand or does the arrow appear in any other menu (like File) when you're having this problem?

aircasper

Jan 26, 2001
looks like the problem is isolated to the favorites menu as i can still see the expanding options under the file menu.

Mrpilot007

Jan 5, 2003
Found a possible solution for you on the microsoft support site:

Branch Indicators Not Shown for Items in Favorites Menu

Click here for solution on microsoft site

It basically suggests that it is caused by certain fonts. You can fix it by going to the control panel and opening the display properties and checking appearance. I was unable to recreate the issue on this pc because I dont have admin rights. Hope this helps.

aircasper

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrpilot007
Found a possible solution for you on the microsoft support site:

Branch Indicators Not Shown for Items in Favorites Menu

Click here for solution on microsoft site

It basically suggests that it is caused by certain fonts. You can fix it by going to the control panel and opening the display properties and checking appearance. I was unable to recreate the issue on this pc because I dont have admin rights. Hope this helps.

thanks so much for the link! i will try it out on my wife's computer tonight. it's strange that she only has the problem intermittently. i can't figure out why sometimes the branch indicators show up and why sometimes they don't. you've got to love windows. ;) thanks again!

aircasper

Jan 26, 2001
argh, internet explorer still won't display the favorites folders properly even after trying to adjust the appearance settings and font sizes. :(