• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

favorite stocks

lesch2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2001
so i am taking an investment class and i have $500,000 imaginary dollars to invest. do you have any recomendations.... preferably non high tech stocks since i already have a bunch of those

cheers!

phonemonkey

Feb 2, 2003
Lee Enterprises (symbol: LEE) has been a strong performer for me. They've got up about 10 points since this time last year. They've about doubled since 2000.

If you're interested in the background, the company is a newspaper publishing company for the Midwest.

Lee

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
FBR, it's a very interesting company, they do IPOs, Investment banking, REIT, also stock brokage. I used to own their REIT, but they merged back with their own company last year, I am up over 400% already not including the fat divdends I was getting from the REIT side of business. They could be the next JP morgan, but most likely they will get bought out before that.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: lesch2k
so i am taking an investment class and i have $500,000 imaginary dollars to invest. do you have any recomendations.... preferably non high tech stocks since i already have a bunch of those

cheers!
What do you get for "winning" at this game? Better yet, what happens if you lose all your money?
If you are only rewarded on the up side (ie, losing the most doesn't mean you fail), you should take on as much risk as possible. If you can, "trade" options and futures. If that is not allowed, buy a levered mutual fund. If funds are not allowed, beta load with stocks (ie, buy stocks with HUGE betas and/or huge volatilities).

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Winchester
EONOQ
WCPNQ
pink sheet stocks are good for this sort of thing (ie, "swinging for the fences"), but they may not be as volatile as you think. For instance, I don't think Enron's price has changed for a week or two.

zener

Aug 1, 2000
Try ASTT. Also if you want to gamble on nanotech, try NVEC ( this stock went from $5 to more than $66 in one year).

YingYang

Nov 30, 2002
Try using some of your imaginary dollars on some REIT stocks. They earn between 5 to 7% dividend. Some of the ticker symbols are ARI, BXP, CLI, EOP, KRC, and KIM.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: zener
Try ASTT. Also if you want to gamble on nanotech, try NVEC ( this stock went from $5 to more than $66 in one year).
Biotech and Nanotech are 2 completely different industries right?
Anyone have any opinions of which one will surge first (because of any kind of discovery).. Biotech stocks already rode one wave right?

Im don't follow the nasdaq .. etc.. just wanted some general ideas to kick around

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
during times of war, manufacturers like lockheed martin are always a good bet. but we're not quite as active now.

cw42

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
during times of war, manufacturers like lockheed martin are always a good bet. but we're not quite as active now.

mdcrab

Platinum Member
Feb 9, 2001
WWVY

Did some investigation and found out it is way undervalued.

Removed link, not sure if I am allowed to post. Do a Google search for "Calandra Report Warwick Valley Telephone Company"

Whether they ever realize the value for shareholders remains to be seen.

mdcrab

ASK THE COMMUNITY