Favorite purchases of the year

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Now that the year is over, list your top 5 purchases of the year

5. Nissan Versa hatchback - In this difficult economy it was difficult to justify a car purchase, but a new job made it necessary. The versa's a nice littler car, cheaper than some used cars while getting 33 mpg. A very practical purchase that will not impress any girls but.. Who needs girls?

4. iPhone - Actually, my company gave me one so it wasn't a purchase, but I wouldn't mind spending $200 on it. I use it everyday, my old sansa is collecting dust, and Apps increase functionality (keeping me from getting bored). The company i work for is also probably happy that I'm now always reachable - I used to leave my blackberry home off hours but now carry my iPhone with me 24/7

3. xbox360 + netflix + playon. I'm not much of a gamer but love the relatively cost effective media functionality. With hulu added (through playon), i'm thinking of at least downgrading my directv subscription a bit

2. Portable washer - I live in a nyc apartment and the convenience of a portable washing machine has been quite worth the initial investment

1. Sunbeam breadmaker - $36 shipped and worth many times more than that. I pour in the ingredients, hit the Express button, and have a fresh loaf of bread ready in an hour! Using whole wheat flour and no artificial ingredients /preservatives means that I'm eating healthier as well, without putting much thought into it.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
1. Fallout 3: Most and longest amount of fun I've had in a while.

2. Playstation 3: Technically I recieved it December 28th of last year. Still provided lots of fun during the PC draught.

3. Superfeet Green insoles: feet bliss.

4. Nike Running shoes: Shoes killed my feet when I first got them. The above sole made them the best pair of shoes I've had in years.

5. Canon Pixma something: $40 printer is my first in 3 years. No longer had a university lab and 8 industrial strength laser printers, so this has saved me from having to plea or go to the library to do my printing.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Imp

2. Playstation 3: Technically I recieved it December 28th of last year. Still provided lots of fun during the PC draught.

4. Nike Running shoes: Shoes killed my feet when I first got them. The above sole made them the best pair of shoes I've had in years.

5. Canon Pixma something: $40 printer is my first in 3 years. No longer had a university lab and 8 industrial strength laser printers, so this has saved me from having to plea or go to the library to do my printing.

Recently joined a gym and my feet have been killing me - can I get more info on these superfeet? Can they be used while working out?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
1. ATI 4870 video card

2. Handgun training class

3. Fallout 3

4. New mouse (Logitech G5) cause I got drunk and pissed at a game so I kept throwing my old mouse on the desk. New one is pretty awesome though.

5. ? I dunno. Probably a PC game.

Cabages

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
1. PS3

2. Acer laptop

3. Band of Brother Blu-ray

4. 8800gt

5. Steak and Shake burgers

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: swbsam

Recently joined a gym and my feet have been killing me - can I get more info on these superfeet? Can they be used while working out?

Here ya go

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Viewsonic Projector

Asus 901 (modding the crap out of it)

G1

HTPC (homebrewed, so lots of purchases involved)

iPhone

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Xbox 360 Elite
Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson
The Night Angel Trilogy
New Flushmount Light
Tales of Vesperia

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Lee Enfield SMLE No.1 Mk. III
2 ATI HD 4850s in Crossfire
Creative Zen X-Fi 32 GB
Savage Mk. II BTVXP
Night Watch series books and movies

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
1. Total Money Makeover Book - not so much for the advice as for the motivation

2. Fallout 3

3. BFG 8800 GTO

4. Black and Decker Perfect Steam Iron

5. A couple of Kenneth Cole shirts

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
1. 4870 Tri-Fire Setup
2. Band of Brothers Blu-Ray
3. New Laptop
4. Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm
5. Kimber Custom Covert II .45 ACP.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
New Car

im sure ive purchased other things but yea none of them seem to be important enought to remember

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: illusion88
Originally posted by: swbsam

Here ya go

I would go to a running shoe store or a pediatrist (or other foor person) to check out your gait first. I bought those because the running shoe salesperson said that I had flat feet and would benefit from having more arch support. After I bought the soles, I also went to an orthotics place and they confirmed that I had flat feet, and could use orthotcs.

If I was too cheap (customs were over $500), they recommended Superfeet. The soles are solid, but flexible plastic; not much cushioning, mainly providing support for your arches, or lack thereof. So if you don't have a problem to begin with, I'm not sure if you should burn $40.

Edit: Typos too beaucoup.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
1. Plane ticket to India
2. Plane ticket to New Zealand
3. Suit for interview for Japan job
4. Baked potato wedges with secret sauce.. by some old man in the middle of nowhere in India it was surprisingly delicious.
5. Belkin USB wireless adapter for my laptop with a broken wireless card

Vehemence

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
1. My new horse named"Scooter"
2. Condoms
3. Whatever new car I get this weekend
4. Hookers
5. Blow
6. iPod Touch 2nd gen 32GB

----

NOT favorite purchase:

1. Age of Conan
2. Age of Conan
3. Age of Conan
4. Age of Conan
5. Age of Conan

I even typed all those out manually, didn't even copy/paste. That's how much I hate it :|

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
iPhone, PS3, Rock Band, Dirt Devil Accucharge. Can I include something I paid $0 for but requested? My GF's mom sent us her Kitchen-Aid stand mixer because she never used it.