Favorite Documentary?

johnjohn320

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2001
I'm in a "start threads about random crap" mood tonight:

Mine is Peter Rosen's film about the 2001 Van Cliburn Competition: The Cliburn: Playing on the Edge despite it's corny title.

What's your favorite documentary? For the purposes of avoiding a flame war, I'm going to declare that no one may state "Bowling for Columbine." It's not that I didn't like it, but we just don't need to have that argument again.

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
i'll give you a couple:

Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media -a classic in my eyes, incredible movie.
Hearts and Minds -really interesting film about 'Nam
Dark Days
Crumb
Qatsi Trilogy (koyaanisqatsi, powaqqatsi, and naqoyqatsi)
Shoah (probably should have been a lot less than 544 minutes, but still worth the time)

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
"Hitler Youth" - Five part series produced by ARD of Germany. Broadcast on History Channel occasionally.

"The Battle Over Citizen Kane" - PBS

"Triumph Of The Will" - for historical content and production only.

"Olympia" - see above.

"Harlan County, USA"

"Woodstock"

Yeah, I also thought "Hearts and Minds" was OK but haven't seen it in years. Truthfully, the film deserves another viewing so I can fully appreciate and critique it now.

Also thought "The War Room" provided a great depiction of actual events. Carville is a genius!

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: burnedout
"Hitler Youth" - Five part series produced by ARD of Germany. Broadcast on History Channel occasionally.

"The Battle Over Citizen Kane" - PBS

"Triumph Of The Will" - for historical content and production only.

"Olympia" - see above.

"Harlan County, USA"

"Woodstock"

Yeah, I also thought "Hearts and Minds" was OK but haven't seen it in years. Truthfully, the film deserves another viewing so I can fully appreciate and critique it now.

Also thought "The War Room" provided a great depiction of actual events. Carville is a genius!

hearts and minds is definately worth a secord viewing, then a third with the director commentary on the criterion disc.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Can't really think of a favorite, but pretty much anything about WWII is always excellent.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
"Conspiracy"

It's an HBO renactment of the Wanasse Confrence (Meeting to plan the Nazi "Final Solution"). Incredible acting. Got it on DVD :beer:

y2kc

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2000
Originally posted by: acemcmac
"Conspiracy"

It's an HBO renactment of the Wanasse Confrence (Meeting to plan the Nazi "Final Solution"). Incredible acting. Got it on DVD :beer:

not a documentary. historical docudrama. I have it on DVD as well and it is quite good

Uh! Good question. I watch too many documentaries and enjoy just about all. Sprry I really didn't take note of the titles, so I'll try by description.

Two that did capture my attention were both by PBS. Remember the one Dezign posted about some mixed (father was an American military dude) Vietnamese woman who was adopted during childhood by an American single woman. She had a bad relationship with her adoptive mum. In my view, she had this urge to fill that void by tracing back her heritage. She flew to Vietnam for that purpose. This woman was such a nuisance with her behaviour. I mean, I don't have a problem with she objecting to her biological mum and family requesting financial help, but the way she handled the whole thing. How embarrassing! As pointed out by others, it didn't help either that she put herself in such position, since people in those poor countries tend to make more demands. They feel even a struggling American has it way easier than a struggling citizen of a third world nation (this is true, especially when currency is factored in and opportunities had in the USA). She was never once at least grateful of her biological mum's role in giving her a better opportunity (i.e., putting her up for adoption). Her adjectives to describe her biological mum was rather odd or rude. I don't care if she isn't close to someone, it doesn't give her the license to disrespect someone. She basically has ties to her biological family all cut off now.

Anyway, then there was the documentary on the guy who helps senior citizens in his country (I think it was Colombia). He started at an extremely early age (about 6). His non-profit organisation was managed by children also volunteering their time. They had no real location for meeting and other purposes, except the home of his poor/struggling parents. France (citizens, that is) helped his organisation after hearing his story on TV. They donated $100,000 the first time, then $60,000 (from my recollection) the second time. He finally built his ideal home for the homeless and wretched senior citizens. It was so inspiring to see a little boy grow to do something good for people. He still works for his organisation, except he's in school as an aspiring lawyer (if I'm not mistaken) to represent the interest of the senior citizens. I think I'll take this as my favourite documentary.

There are too many documentaries I enjoy, both in the form of movies and just regular programs. I won't even try contrasting or comparing them. Most are excellent.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hellstrom Chronicles, and whatever Nova is covering. There's also a great documentary about Cortez and the
Conquistadors by some British guy.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
actually watching the first dvd of civil war now:p rented out of order. theres even a behind the scenes restoration special feature:) didn't know it was that old, the restoration was damn good. nice amount of special features for a documentary:)

if shelling out for the dvd sets isn't for you, you can rent em all from netflix.com. ken burns/ric burns are awesome:)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
There was something called "What if there were no moon?" or something like that on the Discovery Channel. It was narrated by Patrick Stewart. It was really interesting.