Favorite cheap sweet red wine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Reggiano Lambrusco. If you can't find Reggiano, Reuinite has a lambrusco. Its semi-sweet with a rich fruit flavor

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Pepperwood Cabernet ~$8
Coppola Cabernet ~$12-19 (2 different versions)
Layer Cake Zinfandel or Cabernet ~$12-15
If you want to step it up a notch, our higher end favorite is Frank Family Zinfandel. ~$35

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
A red zinfandel (most are a blush) or a pinot noir.

Now if you'd really want something that is sweetened a sweet red Riesling would do, but most consider it dessert wine.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
by sweet you mean dessert wine (stuff you drink with fruit and sweets) I hope.

I love raisin wine.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
"Sweet" is a matter of interpretation. Presuming you aren't looking for a dessert wine, Barbara d'Asti or d'Alba may fit the bill while being classier in appearance than box wine. Something like the Michele Chiarlo would be widely available and in your price range or just slightly above depending on the store and which vintage year they have.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Costco Cabernet in the big bottle is very good. For less than $8 and all that wine, it can't be beat! I take my hat off on how Costco pulled this one off.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Is Cabernet sweet and red? I think someone there actually recommended it to me, but I know nothing about wine so I just didn't get it.
No, Cabernet is almost always done in a dry style. It's pretty much the epitome of what you think of when you think of "red wine" so if you typically aren't a fan of reds, you aren't going to like most cabs.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Is Cabernet sweet and red? I think someone there actually recommended it to me, but I know nothing about wine so I just didn't get it.

Sorry. Didn't read fully that you were into the sweet. Cab wouldn't be it, though a good cab can be great.

If you want sweet, get a sweet white wine (instead of red) like a Gewurztraminer or Riesling.

If you want a sweet red, concoct a Sangria. Very tasty!

Last edited:

W.C. Nimoy

Apr 7, 2013

W.C. Nimoy

Apr 7, 2013
Yeah searching was pulling up few results aside from their home page.

But yeah for instance the members in california making some of these recommendations I'm sure really are among the best, but I want to find something good & still relatively common enough that I'll actually be able to find (nation wide).

Status
Not open for further replies.