Favorite Authors

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Robert R. McCammon, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Clive Cussler, J.R.R.Tolkien and Arthur C. Clarke.

kru

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 1999
anne rice
john irving
james clavell

and i'm hoping robert jordan will actually finish the wheel of time series before he (or we) die of natural causes

unxpurg8d

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
Dorothy Parker, Thorne Smith (if you haven't read anything of his you are missing incredibly funny wordplay and some of the most amusing skewed views of human nature you'll ever read - the man was a genius! :) Read "Turnabout" and "The Stray Lamb" for starters.), P.G. Wodehouse, and Tolkien are my favorites - this week.

Ariel

Aug 1, 2000
William Shakespeare and DH Lawrence are favorites. I also really like Toni Morrison. And when I want a book that requires little or no thought, I like Sidney Sheldon. :)

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
My favorie of all time is Gary Paulsen. His books are so awesome. I especially like "The Rifle" and "Tracker."

Probably my second favorite is J.K. Rowling and the series of "Harry Potter" books.

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
JRR Tolkien
David Eddings
Terry Pratchet
Piers Anthony

I am sort of narrow in the books that I read in the fact they are all fantasy... I have read some Ayn Rand and Crichton (sp?), but I didn't get absorbed by them like Tolkien.

My reason for reading is a little different though. I mostly read to be whisked away into some fanstasy land seperate from my real life. The only educational reading I do is text-books and the net.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Piers Anthony, Stephen King, Isaac Asimov, Tom Clancy... lots more. I used to read about 10-15 books a week. Forget homework, Isaac Asimov was far more engaging than any science homework I ever had. Books are badass. ;)

qacwac

Oct 12, 2000
1. God through the apostle Paul
2. Jonathan Edwards
3. John Bunyan (although so far all I've read is Pilgrim's Progress)

Farbio

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2000
my all time favorite is john irving....love all of his books
used to be a huge stephen king fan too

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Piers Anthony
J.R.R. Tolkien
George Orwell
Isaac Assimov

My best friend went to a Science Fiction writer's conference in New York City in the early 70s. He said when the conference opened, Assimov would start the day with a full bottle of Southern Comfort and an empty legal pad. At day's end, the bottle would be nearly empty and the legal pad full.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Chuck

Ray Bradbury

George Orwell

Henry Miller

H.G. Wells

O'Henry

Stienbeck

James Joyce

William Carlos Williams

And many others.............

SHUX

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Ahhhh! So many!

As a child and as a teen:

C.S. Lewis
Tolkien
Lloyd Alexander
James Herriot
Madeleine L'Engle

and of course, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Lousia May Alcott... That should serve as indisputable proof of my gender.

As an adult....

Margaret Atwood
Amy Tan
Stephen King (The Stand is my favorite)
Toni Morrision
Alice Walker
Anais Nin
Frank Herbert

Oh, way too many to list!!!!

(further proof of my gender! :D )

Actually, I have so many books in my home it is not funny. I will be an old lady surrounded by books.... I will have to build shelves in every room!

"I have my books and my poetry to protect me"

Simon and Garfunkel

edit:
Oh heck, SHUXS...

How could I foreget Ray Bradbury and Henry Miller!??? :)

ultravox

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Northern Quail for it's colour and goose down for its softness and warmth.

What?......."authors" ? I thought it said feathers.

Never mind....