faulty o2 sensor cause car to run rough?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Car has been running weird, a tad rough........recently the check engine light came on....i looked in the manuel for the diagnostic code and it returned that my oxygen sensor was faulty......so i took it into the shop and they confirmed that the o2 was out(they'll say anything to get you to replace something)......could that be the cause of my car running a little rough?

$200 part + repairs

THEN i've got a pretty good oil leak going on.....hopefully they can find/fix that(hopefully not my head gasket!!!)

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
run rough yes if you mean surging not idle. Poor gas maileage??

$200 no.

What kind of car?

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Originally posted by: thebestMAX
run rough yes.

$200 no.

What kind of car?

it's an '88 4runner.......the part itself seems to cost about 130ish when i looked around on teh net......that leaves $50 for labor, which i PROBABLY could have done myself....(it was really 180) but i wanted 'em to find the oil leak anyways....

any idea what a switch sensor is???? it returned that diagnostic code as well

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I see prices from 55 to 114 so not too out of line. An easy job to replace if no after adjustments are needed. I dont think so but not sure.

Oil leak is another matter.

IamElectro

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2003
If you replace the o2 sensor yourself disconnect the battery overnight this will allow the computer time to blank out and will reset itself to the new o2 sensor.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: IamElectro
If you replace the o2 sensor yourself disconnect the battery overnight this will allow the computer time to blank out and will reset itself to the new o2 sensor.
I thought the computers were supposed to pick up the new sensors right away. I've never, ever had to do this before. I've blown out 2 O2 sensors on 2 separate vehicles and this was never an issue. *shrug* Oh well. It may be on some vehicles.