Fauci confirms New York Times report Trump rebuffed social distancing advice

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
Unless you can learn to be accurate and do something else besides parrot Trump, nobody will take you seriously.

Myself and others have stated time and time again there was NO TRAVEL BAN Jan 31

There were travel restrictions that only included Chinese nationals. Citizens retuning fom China were not quarantined. Do you think the virus only lodged themselves in the throats of Chinese people? Silly boy.

Can we all meet in the middle and agree to call it a half-assed ban?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
The goal, for the past several years, is all hands on deck effort to figure out how to paint every problem as Trump's fault instead of someone, ANYONE else, because Trump.

See, I can do that too.

It's not a rational or reasonable argument.
What's funny is all presidents are under ludicrous amounts of scrutiny and ridicule. Trump's thin skin prohibits him from focusing on anything else. He us an effing crybaby.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I've read that since the good doctor is a federal employee and not a political appointee trump can only fire him for cause and not because he contradicts trump and if he did it would be a real shit show. not something he's want just before an election.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I've read that since the good doctor is a federal employee and not a political appointee trump can only fire him for cause and not because he contradicts trump and if he did it would be a real shit show. not something he's want just before an election.
Yeah but he doesn’t need to terminate him, he can just render him powerless.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Even with links, Oilfieldtrash still lies constantly, incessantly, and without a shred of shame.
He's emblematic of Trump supporters in that he honestly doesn't think he's lying. He can't see the intellectual dishonesty or flawed logic in his arguments because it's all emotion. He feels he's right, and no amount of proof that he isn't is going to change that. In fact, the more proof to the contrary, the harder he'll dig in.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Even with links, Oilfieldtrash still lies constantly, incessantly, and without a shred of shame.
Yet we are not allowed to chastise him or anyone for constant lying.

He exercises his 1A right to lie but the rest of us don't have a 1A right to call him out directly lest we get accused of egregiousness.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Trumpity Dumptity “travel ban” didn’t help since it was too late. Strict travel ban or not, we were all screwed. Earliest any country started travel bans was January 27 were HK, Malaysia and Philippines. US along with other hotbeds Italy and Iran on January 31. So virus started spreading in first 2 weeks of February among vacationers to return home end of the month to cause this March spike.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Supporting the guy who admitting taking responsibility for NOTHING.

Also in the middle of a life threatening pandemic wastes valuable time following his ratings vs The Bachelor. What a President

You sure know how to side with the dirtbags.
I'm not supporting anyone with that statement. It's a rebuke of a bad argument.

Just because I don't froth at the mouth in hysterics against Trump in every post all day long doesn't mean I support Trump.

Hope this helps.

• Haha
Reactions: soundforbjt

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
What's funny is all presidents are under ludicrous amounts of scrutiny and ridicule. Trump's thin skin prohibits him from focusing on anything else. He us an effing crybaby.
Not by the media, no. In the past, news was real journalism. Now, it's liberal or conservative activism. Journalism is dead. That, combined with the unprecedented level of coverage, 24 hour news cycles and more news outlets than anyone can count, it's entirely reasonable to say that each successive president is under more scrutiny and ridicule than the previous president. Whomever follows up after Trump in 2024 is going to be under greater scrutiny than Trump, methinks. There's never been so much negativity for any president, including Bush for his alleged "war crimes," than there has been against Trump this term.

You're right that he's a thin skinned crybaby though :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Not by the media, no. In the past, news was real journalism. Now, it's liberal or conservative activism. Journalism is dead. That, combined with the unprecedented level of coverage, 24 hour news cycles and more news outlets than anyone can count, it's entirely reasonable to say that each successive president is under more scrutiny and ridicule than the previous president. Whomever follows up after Trump in 2024 is going to be under greater scrutiny than Trump, methinks. There's never been so much negativity for any president, including Bush for his alleged "war crimes," than there has been against Trump this term.

You're right that he's a thin skinned crybaby though :)

Oh sure, conservative media had so much on Obama they couldn't find the time to argue over whether he was wearing a lapel pin, what kind of condiments he used on a burger, or the color of his suit.
Give me a break.

Legitimate criticisms of Obama administration:
Expanded use of drones in counterterrorism efforts include a drone strike on a US citizen
Fast and Furious
Continued use/support of broad-reaching intelligence gathering by CIA/NSA/etc.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump loves the mainstream media just the way they are. This includes the internet and social media cites. He wouldn't change a thing. He lives and breaths in the media world. He uses the media through his constant trollery on Twitter to garner division, sympathy, outrage, chaos. Trump retweet trolling Fauci is a good example. He said it himself - He likes controversy, chaos, division, uncertainty - "many people are saying". The public becomes malleable, easily pliable.

Why is the media constantly reporting on the things he says and tweets? - because he likes saying controversial halftruth's. Conspiracy theories. He likes calling people names (bullying). He likes lying. And..He loves tweeting. He tweets like no other President before him. Sometimes its up to 50 a day. There is loads and loads of material. He likes it that way. He's been doing it for years. Perfecting his trolling craft through the years for personal gain, sympathy and chaos. "Look how the media is so unfair to me!". And people buy into this con. It's his best one

If he just stopped tweeting, he would loose this valuable tool of manipulation.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
No, Fauci was wrong in the video linked in this thread, when on 2/29 he spoke to the media saying that then wasn't an appropriate time to begin social distancing.
This is a tough stance. You're shooting the messenger. Fauci said "we" "we" "we" throughout the interview, and seemed fairly precise about making sure what he said could only be interpreted as a group recommendation, speaking as the mouthpiece of the WH.

Surely you don't blame the soldier who follows orders to fire a Tomahawk at coordinates that end up being a birthday party - that's the commander's fault, correct?

When Sean Spicer spouted lies, do you think he actually believed them, or was he just doing what he was told?

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Oh sure, conservative media had so much on Obama they couldn't find the time to argue over whether he was wearing a lapel pin, what kind of condiments he used on a burger, or the color of his suit.
Give me a break.

Legitimate criticisms of Obama administration:
Expanded use of drones in counterterrorism efforts include a drone strike on a US citizen
Fast and Furious
Continued use/support of broad-reaching intelligence gathering by CIA/NSA/etc.
Nice whataboutism.

Like I said. Journalism is dead.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
This is a tough stance. You're shooting the messenger. Fauci said "we" "we" "we" throughout the interview, and seemed fairly precise about making sure what he said could only be interpreted as a group recommendation, speaking as the mouthpiece of the WH.

Surely you don't blame the soldier who follows orders to fire a Tomahawk at coordinates that end up being a birthday party - that's the commander's fault, correct?

When Sean Spicer spouted lies, do you think he actually believed them, or was he just doing what he was told?
I blame the lead medical professional for the words that come out of their mouth considering that they're actually licensed to make these recommendations. Plain and simple, Fauci made a bad call. Should he be fired? No. Was he wrong? Yes.

I don't care to give any whataboutism regarding Sean Spicer the time of day. Sean Spicer is not a licensed medical professional in a lead position on the disaster response team at the White House.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Nice whataboutism.

Like I said. Journalism is dead.

Whomever follows up after Trump in 2024 is going to be under greater scrutiny than Trump, methinks

Do you not find it odd that conservative media commented on the most minute, meaningless details of Obama, personally? Rather that things of substance like his policies (goood, bad, or indifferent)?

Not a whataboutism at all. I'm comparing conservative media treatment of Trump's direct predecessor with your claim that Trump's successor will be heavily scrutinized.

If you are outraged by someone's lack of lapel pin, you have them under a damned laser scanning confocal microscope and need something better to do. It signifies a complete lack of substance.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I blame the lead medical professional for the words that come out of their mouth considering that they're actually licensed to make these recommendations. Plain and simple, Fauci made a bad call. Should he be fired? No. Was he wrong? Yes.

I don't care to give any whataboutism regarding Sean Spicer the time of day. Sean Spicer is not a licensed medical professional in a lead position on the disaster response team at the White House.
Do you believe the physician, Dr. Sean Conley, when he reported that:
- an obese man with coronary plaque
- whose lipids are not at target and requiring an increase to the highest and strongest dose of any statin medication to combat his hyperlipidemia
- who is gaining weight despite trying to lose it
- who doesn't exercise
- and is in one of the most stressful jobs in the world
is in "very good health overall" and "will remain so for the duration of his Presidency, and beyond"? Or do you think he was told what to put in the report?

Do you believe the physician, Dr. Ronny Jackson, when he said:
- "I told the president that if he had a healthier diet over the last 20 years, he might live to be 200 years old."
- 4-5 hours of sleep a night is nothing to worry about
- the President would certainly be fit enough to carry out a second term
- that a low PSA level alone means there is nothing to worry about with the prostate
And do you think Dr. Jackson specifically glossed over Trump's calcium score of 133, which is rising despite taking aggressive anti-hyperlipidemics?

Do you believe the physician, Dr. Harold Bornstein, when he said:
- "Mr. Trump has had no significant medical problems" and "his cardiovascular status is excellent" despite having coronary calcium on a CT scan, being obese, being on cholesterol medicine to try to cover up effects of his poor diet and lack of exercise? Do you believe that his stamina is really "extraordinary" for a guy who gets winded walking on a golf course? Do you really believe him when he said "Mr. Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency"?

They are saying what they are told to say.

If physicians licensed to make these statements are making false statements while working for another person, then one can reasonably conclude that the false statements are the result of the person for whom they work.

The one consistent thing about Trump's presidency is that everything that comes out of the WH should be taken as either completely false, or at the least misleading, until proven otherwise. That includes remarks from physicians, lawyers, judges, economists, etc who are working at Trump's direction.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Do you not find it odd that conservative media commented on the most minute, meaningless details of Obama, personally? Rather that things of substance like his policies (goood, bad, or indifferent)?

Not a whataboutism at all. I'm comparing conservative media treatment of Trump's direct predecessor with your claim that Trump's successor will be heavily scrutinized.

If you are outraged by someone's lack of lapel pin, you have them under a damned laser scanning confocal microscope and need something better to do. It signifies a complete lack of substance.

I'm shocked another bothsider doesn't understand whataboutism.