FatWallet is shutting down Monday, Oct 9th

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/off-topic/1586370

Confirmed by founder Tim Storm https://www.facebook.com/timstorm

https://slickdeals.net/f/10587092-i-m-an-orphan

FatWallet sold to Ebates in 2011, and Ebates sold to Rakuten in 2014. The FatWallet shopping portal is long gone, and soon FatWallet will be gone as well. The exact date has not yet been disclosed. RIP.

I wonder what impact this will have on $D and the medium/smaller deal sites?

If anyone is an expert or proficient with wget to download the FW forums, please PM me.

Last edited:

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
That’s too bad. Although it seemed activity had been dropping.

Odd they mentioned cash back, I thought that was transitioned to Ebates a few years ago.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Since they quit giving cash back, I haven't visited often. That was their big attraction for me as compared to slickdeals and some of the other deal sites.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Since they quit giving cash back, I haven't visited often. That was their big attraction for me as compared to slickdeals and some of the other deal sites.

I usually check https://www.cashbackmonitor.com before making a purchase to maximize my savings.

I still think changing the name from Buy.com to Ratuken.com was the dumbest move ever.

Hells yeah! I wonder how much Buy.com would fetch today?

Reactions: feralkid

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The deal section of FW is ok but I love the finance section of FW (especially the how to make money from credit cards bonuses). The free stuffs section is not bad either.

I need to login FW (it has been a while) and see if I still have any outstanding CB.

I wonder if anyone would take over the site.

Nov 8, 2012
The deal section of FW is ok but I love the finance section of FW (especially the how to make money from credit cards bonuses). The free stuffs section is not bad either.

I need to login FW (it has been a while) and see if I still have any outstanding CB.

I wonder if anyone would take over the site.

If you had any Casback with FW they transferred it to eBates already I believe.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Sucks, I REALLY liked their Finance forum and visited fairly frequently.

QFT, their finance forums were great and I'm afraid they'll be dead soon. I wish I knew wget better because I would be happy to download the entire forums (or finance only) and host it on my own VPS or dedicated server.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Aww. That's the end of an era right there.:(

QFT, their finance forums were great and I'm afraid they'll be dead soon. I wish I knew wget better because I would be happy to download the entire forums (or finance only) and host it on my own VPS or dedicated server.
Start a thread in one of the tech forums. There are plenty of people here who do know how to rip a forum, and I'm sure they'd be glad to help you.:)

Reactions: UNCjigga

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
RossMAN, no origin story about how FW was a safe refuge for deal searchers because AT forums couldn't or wouldn't allow Staples coupon deals?

Reactions: Kaido

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i never used their site because of the fat shaming domain name
7G3zITG.png

Reactions: Charmonium

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I got really lazy about checking competing sites after I started setting up deal alerts on Slick Deals.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Some guy from FW just called me and asked for pics of my sister for their new "slick deals" ad. Said he was Ross but I have my doubts. Could have been Mayne....or his nephew. Bastards.

Seriously though, did talk to Ross at the number above. "Ring him up."

:D

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
I used to go there, I thought it was kind of interesting..... and slimey. I would read the financial forum and loved this quote from there "luxury is a weakness"

Nov 8, 2012
Slickdeals must be grinning ear to ear.

Slickdeals is too mainstream now. I still check it, but majority seem to be companies selling ad-placements for mods/admins to post something as a "hot deal" when in actuality it really isn't much of one. Hopefully something new springs up.

As far as the finance forum, I've pretty much already moved on to Bogleheads

Reactions: Sonikku
Nov 8, 2012
I used to go there, I thought it was kind of interesting..... and slimey. I would read the financial forum and loved this quote from there "luxury is a weakness"

Never heard that one - the one mentioned most often was PYBDB (Pay your bill dead-beat)

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Never heard that one - the one mentioned most often was PYBDB (Pay your bill dead-beat)
well actually I should mention that I completely disagree with the quote that Luxury is a weakness. I have two Mercedes and we eat out quite often. Exactly opposite of what the people at FW preach. I should say that I giggle at the thought of luxury is a weakness.