Father of H-Bomb Dead

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Edward Teller, who was a major influence in the development of atomic weapons in the United States, has died at the age of 95. He was one of three people who convinced Professor Albert Einstien of the possibility of such weapons bieng developed (esp by the Nazis), who later went to President Roosevelt and convinced him to start the Manhattan Project. He was also the main proponent of the development of the H-bomb, even before the first atomic weapons had been successfully tested. Story from Msnbc.com

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Good. He can tapdance through hell.

I hope you're being sarcastic, because I find that statement silly (to say the least).

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

I hope you're being sarcastic, because I find that statement silly (to say the least).

Well, I was tired, and the image of Teller dancing through eternal flames as punishment appealed to my sense of justice. Teller was an abominable person. He looked on the H-bomb as his child to defend, so much so that that he hooked up with McCarthy and cowed scientists who objected on moral grounds to it. This man was a loon, smart or not. Did you know he wanted a new Panama Canal? It could have been constructed by blowing up a chain of h-bombs, right through the US if need be. A fireworks fan of the first degree.

Jan 12, 2003

Well, I was tired, and the image of Teller dancing through eternal flames as punishment appealed to my sense of justice. Teller was an abominable person [/quote]

Punishment for what exactly? Using his mind?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

Well, I was tired, and the image of Teller dancing through eternal flames as punishment appealed to my sense of justice. Teller was an abominable person

Punishment for what exactly? Using his mind?[/quote]

Many people have used their good minds for bad purposes. Teller was one of them.

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

Well, I was tired, and the image of Teller dancing through eternal flames as punishment appealed to my sense of justice. Teller was an abominable person

Many people have used their good minds for bad purposes. Teller was one of them.[/quote]

I'm going to be nice and just say that that is a really stupid thing to say.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: amok

Many people have used their good minds for bad purposes. Teller was one of them.

I'm going to be nice and just say that that is a really stupid thing to say.[/quote]

Yeah, whatsamatta' with you, Winston? Using intellect to create the most destructive device ever created isn't necessarily a BAD thing! Someone would have figured it out eventually. I think living under the nuclear threat makes us all better people. Well, except for the hundreds of thousands incinerated by the nuclear bomb before it just the nuclear threat. But the rest of us are definitely better people. Weapons of Mass Destruction are a good thing (as long as WE are the only nation that has them!).

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak

I find the image of a 95 year old man, tap dancing through firey hell quite funny really...is wearing a straw hat, stripey suit and holding a wand stick type thing?

amok

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BOBDN

I'm going to be nice and just say that that is a really stupid thing to say.

Yeah, whatsamatta' with you, Winston? Using intellect to create the most destructive device ever created isn't necessarily a BAD thing! Someone would have figured it out eventually. I think living under the nuclear threat makes us all better people. Well, except for the hundreds of thousands incinerated by the nuclear bomb before it just the nuclear threat. But the rest of us are definitely better people. Weapons of Mass Destruction are a good thing (as long as WE are the only nation that has them!).[/quote]
How many millions more have been killed with 'conventional' weaponry? If anything, nukes have tempered conventional warfare.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Yeah, whatsamatta' with you, Winston? Using intellect to create the most destructive device ever created isn't necessarily a BAD thing! Someone would have figured it out eventually. I think living under the nuclear threat makes us all better people. Well, except for the hundreds of thousands incinerated by the nuclear bomb before it just the nuclear threat. But the rest of us are definitely better people. Weapons of Mass Destruction are a good thing (as long as WE are the only nation that has them!).

news flash. we werent the only one's trying to develope the bomb. he just helped us develop it first.

also, the man was not a policy maker. FDR had the final decision of whether to let the manhatten project go forward.

edit: formatting

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Originally posted by: kaizersose

news flash. we werent the only one's trying to develope the bomb. he just helped us develop it first.

also, the man was not a policy maker. FDR had the final decision of whether to let the manhatten project go forward.

I agree with this. We knew they had a bomb project, as did other major powers in the war. Can anyone imagine if the Manhattan project had never gone foreward and the Soviets had gotten their hands on the bomb first? That sounds like a pretty scary situation. I'm glad we got it first instead of them. It was just a matter of time.

Bigdude

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

Many people have used their good minds for bad purposes. Teller was one of them.[/quote]

Developing the H-bomb was a great idea, so was the A-bomb! We should of Never let anyone else have them!

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

I'm going to be nice and just say that that is a really stupid thing to say.[/quote]

And I will be nice and say that you are ignorant of the situation and the man, and what he did to get that bomb.