'Fat shaming' cards handed to London Tube passengers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I don't hate fat people - I'd never rally against them, but isn't it objectively true that fat people contribute less efficiently to society? Increased healthcare costs alone, but add to that dying younger, eating more food leaving less for others (individually inconsequential but on a massive scale (no pun intended) has many implications), etc.

I mean, isn't it objectively true that being fit and healthy is better than being fat?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Yes, it is true. But we're in an acceptance faze. If you don't accept someone for how they are, and instead suggest they do things to better themselves you're labeled in a negative way.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Yes, it is true. But we're in an acceptance faze. If you don't accept someone for how they are, and instead suggest they do things to better themselves you're labeled in a negative way.

Ah, well that explains the gun control debate.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I don't hate fat people - I'd never rally against them, but isn't it objectively true that fat people contribute less efficiently to society? Increased healthcare costs alone, but add to that dying younger, eating more food leaving less for others (individually inconsequential but on a massive scale (no pun intended) has many implications), etc.

I mean, isn't it objectively true that being fit and healthy is better than being fat?

Probably, but people pretending that they know enough about someone they've never met to start preaching to them about what their problems are and how they should fix them is as mind-bogglingly ignorant as those who used to burn people suspected of witchcraft or throw people out of villages who had some kind of health problem, "because it might be contagious".

The same goes for the occasional prick who uploads a photo to the Internet of a person getting out of a wheelchair to retrieve something from a high shelf, with a comment along the lines of "obviously they're not disabled then!", or "obvious benefits scrounger!".

From my own personal perspective (disclaimer: I am not a medical professional) I am often amazed how so many people have trouble maintaining a sensible weight when I struggle to put on another kilo (while I now have a normal BMI, the docs want me to gain a bit of pudge to help me fight off problems I'm susceptible to). I count the calories from the opposite perspective of course, and things are made somewhat harder by the fact that the list of foods I know I can't eat is very long and the list of foods I know I can eat is very short, but I can't help but think "it's not rocket science is it? I have to be disciplined, why can't other people", but the fact of the matter is that I don't know these other people.

Furthermore, show me someone who is disciplined in all parts of their life. I know I'm not. Would it be OK to start handing out notes to people whom one thinks is drinking too much (my mum is pretty much teetotal and used to try and discourage anyone in the family from drinking even an amount that would make one merry let alone slurring/drunk/etc), or every person who isn't dressing that well or hasn't got a really snappy hairstyle or whatever deserves a note (a lack of self respect is likely a symptom of something bad!)? How about if one disapproves of credit card use and deems it a symptom of the debt culture and starts handing out notes accordingly? Should notes be handed out to those who are deemed to be too skinny?

Also, people have different coping mechanisms. Some people use food as one. Some people throw up their food and see that as them "getting better". How do people suppose that one who comfort eats is going to react if someone hands them a note informing them that they're a fat fuck?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Probably, but people pretending that they know enough about someone they've never met to start preaching to them about what their problems are and how they should fix them is as mind-bogglingly ignorant as those who used to burn people suspected of witchcraft or throw people out of villages who had some kind of health problem, "because it might be contagious".

The same goes for the occasional prick who uploads a photo to the Internet of a person getting out of a wheelchair to retrieve something from a high shelf, with a comment along the lines of "obviously they're not disabled then!", or "obvious benefits scrounger!".

From my own personal perspective (disclaimer: I am not a medical professional) I am often amazed how so many people have trouble maintaining a sensible weight when I struggle to put on another kilo (while I now have a normal BMI, the docs want me to gain a bit of pudge to help me fight off problems I'm susceptible to). I count the calories from the opposite perspective of course, and things are made somewhat harder by the fact that the list of foods I know I can't eat is very long and the list of foods I know I can eat is very short, but I can't help but think "it's not rocket science is it? I have to be disciplined, why can't other people", but the fact of the matter is that I don't know these other people.

Furthermore, show me someone who is disciplined in all parts of their life. I know I'm not. Would it be OK to start handing out notes to people whom one thinks is drinking too much (my mum is pretty much teetotal and used to try and discourage anyone in the family from drinking even an amount that would make one merry let alone slurring/drunk/etc), or every person who isn't dressing that well or hasn't got a really snappy hairstyle or whatever deserves a note (a lack of self respect is likely a symptom of something bad!)? How about if one disapproves of credit card use and deems it a symptom of the debt culture and starts handing out notes accordingly? Should notes be handed out to those who are deemed to be too skinny?

Also, people have different coping mechanisms. Some people use food as one. Some people throw up their food and see that as them "getting better". How do people suppose that one who comfort eats is going to react if someone hands them a note informing them that they're a fat fuck?

I think you're confusing when I said:

I don't hate fat people - I'd never rally against them

with something akin to:

I hate fat people. They deserve a shameful death immediately. It's obviously their own fault that I hate them and their disgustingness in 100% of cases.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
So for the people who don't want obesity to be called out as unhealthy what is the alternative when it comes to a national healthcare system? Eventually it will run the system dry.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
So for the people who don't want obesity to be called out as unhealthy what is the alternative when it comes to a national healthcare system? Eventually it will run the system dry.

You could dramatically reduce the cost of healthcare by removing profit from the equation. I suggest starting by removing the ability to have hospitals with shareholders. Or starting some 100% government funded hospitals. That would take for-profit insurance out of the equation as well.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
You could dramatically reduce the cost of healthcare by removing profit from the equation. I suggest starting by removing the ability to have hospitals with shareholders. Or starting some 100% government funded hospitals. That would take for-profit insurance out of the equation as well.
I agree with that and I think that actually helps in any healthcare system.

But lets say that is done, do the doctors now just lie about obesity and health? Do they just ignore it? As not for profit doctors are they just going to accept they don't get paid as high and will that be a desirable field to even work in at that point?

I also think even without for profit medicine that costs of healthcare are just simply very expensive, it takes a lot of school, it takes highest grade materials and medicine and none of that comes cheap.

Last edited:

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I agree with that and I think that actually helps in any healthcare system.

But lets say that is done, do the doctors now just lie about obesity and health? Do they just ignore it? As not for profit doctors are they just going to accept they don't get paid as high and will that be a desirable field to even work in at that point?

I also think even without for profit medicine that costs of healthcare are just simply very expensive, it takes a lot of school, it takes highest grade materials and medicine and none of that comes cheap.

Well, in Canada we have the single-payer universal system. Our doctors are essentially employees of the Province. I'm not 100% sure how their pay is negotiated but I'm guessing its either straight salary for the year, or on a per-procedure basis. Or a mix of both.

But because the doctors work for the province, and healthcare is paid for by the provinces (indirectly, but thats a different topic), it is in the province's interest to have proper education on good health. So we have health taught in schools and PSA's all over the place, etc. Fewer unhealthy people means less healthcare costs. Plus fewer unhealthy people means taxes are "reasonable."

In a for-profit healthcare system, none of that is compatible with making money. Sick people make money. Healthy people don't. Doctors have no financial incentive to encourage or educate good health, and neither does the State, because they make money from sick people.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Well, in Canada we have the single-payer universal system. Our doctors are essentially employees of the Province. I'm not 100% sure how their pay is negotiated but I'm guessing its either straight salary for the year, or on a per-procedure basis. Or a mix of both.

But because the doctors work for the province, and healthcare is paid for by the provinces (indirectly, but thats a different topic), it is in the province's interest to have proper education on good health. So we have health taught in schools and PSA's all over the place, etc. Fewer unhealthy people means less healthcare costs. Plus fewer unhealthy people means taxes are "reasonable."

In a for-profit healthcare system, none of that is compatible with making money. Sick people make money. Healthy people don't. Doctors have no financial incentive to encourage or educate good health, and neither does the State, because they make money from sick people.
To me that is the most important part, but with the "Fat shaming" crusaders a term I simply think is brain dead when it has nothing to do with being fat, it has to do with poor health, I worry that this much needed part to a social healthcare system will be undermined.

I don't disagree with you with for profit healthcare, I've never been in support of it, but I know for social healthcare to work it counts on more parts to the puzzle to work and preventative is a big part of that, people with bad habits are figuring out how to play victim and break down that important part.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I think you're confusing when I said:

with something akin to:

Nope, not confused at all :) It wasn't all specifically directed at you. I was reading other posts when responding yet there weren't particular quotes that I wanted to specifically address.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
While I think that pretty rude, I can also sympathize with the resentment some feel when they see others behave in a way that costs the rest of us. The UK has been getting rather doughy for awhile now, kind of like Mississippi - only with less racism and education.

There are plenty of other ways this issue can be brought up, with better exposure and less chance of someone punching you in the face. Worthy issue, poor medium in this case. It should be noted that not everyone is over weight because they're pigs who avoid healthy living. I'd rather see this kind of indignation delivered to people who really deserve it.

That old gray idiot with dozens of kids who was lambasting the government for not buying him a new, larger house comes to mind.

Here, found him! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...00-compensation-council-t-one-big-enough.html

26 children with 15 different women...wow

Last edited: