Fat laptop hard drive in presario 1700, do i install it?

Soulcoughy

Mar 30, 2002
i bought an 18.1 gig IBM travelstar to put in my sony vaio, only to learn that it takes the thinner profile laptop hard drives, while the travelstar is a thicker. well, a friend of mine has a presario 1700 so i told him i would put it in his because it should fit, right? the presario isn't unnaturally thin, it should take the thicker profile drives. well, it had a thinner drive in it, but it seems that the thicker drive will fit in the housing, but with little to no clearance. will this be detremental to the health of the drive/system? there is that little hole on top that says "do not cover" and i don't think it will be directly plugged, but will only only have a hairs clearance. do i tell him
a) sorry dude, it wouldn't fit
b) well, it didn't really fit, but i put it in anyway
c) works good! (is it gonna crap out in a week?)

Maharaja

Apr 25, 2000
Sorry I don't have first hand experience with this.
What jumped out in my mind is that wouldn't heat possibly be a problem? Laptop hard drives spin at something like 4200 rpm. Your Travelstar is probably a 5400 rpm drive. With those platters spinning faster, more heat should be generated. More heat would mean greater system instability.
Sorry I can't give you some concrete answers but I just wanted to say that so you could consider it.

If you and your friend decide to take the plunge and install it, let us all know what happens. I've never heard of anyone cramming a regular hard drive into a laptop. I'd like to know what happens as well.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Maharaja
Sorry I don't have first hand experience with this.
What jumped out in my mind is that wouldn't heat possibly be a problem? Laptop hard drives spin at something like 4200 rpm. Your Travelstar is probably a 5400 rpm drive. With those platters spinning faster, more heat should be generated. More heat would mean greater system instability.
Sorry I can't give you some concrete answers but I just wanted to say that so you could consider it.

If you and your friend decide to take the plunge and install it, let us all know what happens. I've never heard of anyone cramming a regular hard drive into a laptop. I'd like to know what happens as well.
It's not a 3.5" drive, it's a 2.5" drive that's thicker than the one taken by his VAIO.

Soulcoughy, I personally don't think it would be a problem installing it in his Presario.

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
there are 2 kinds of 2.5" HDDs being used today... 12.5mm and 9.5mm both refer to thickness. my system uses a 9.5mm HDD.