Fastest public wifi you seen ?

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Who uses public wifi these days? All the super fast unlimited LTE there's no need.
Plus the security risks. I know there's ways to fix that but the average joe isn't going to do it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ulimited LTE? Haha very funny. I literally hit my cap just doing a speed test lol. Only reason I even have data on my phone is because it's needed for certain things to work like sending pictures via text. Thankfully it does not count towards your cap, but you still need the service. I use data if I'm really stuck but I can't really use it for anything serious due to the cap. Sad part is my LTE is faster than even my home wired internet. I get over 100mbps over LTE. Can blow that cap in less than a minute if I sustain that speed.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Ulimited LTE? Haha very funny. I literally hit my cap just doing a speed test lol. Only reason I even have data on my phone is because it's needed for certain things to work like sending pictures via text. Thankfully it does not count towards your cap, but you still need the service. I use data if I'm really stuck but I can't really use it for anything serious due to the cap. Sad part is my LTE is faster than even my home wired internet. I get over 100mbps over LTE. Can blow that cap in less than a minute if I sustain that speed.

Canadian cell plans are hilariously bad.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Canadian cell plans are to US cell plans as US cell plans are to Euro cell plans.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Canadian cell plans are to US cell plans as US cell plans are to Euro cell plans.

True, it mostly boils down to the density of the population. The denser the population the easier it is to service.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Funny thing is they spend so much money on the infrastructure here when it's not really needed, what's needed is better plans. The service itself actually works great, it's the plans that are the problem. Even 5G is not needed, LTE is more than enough speed, that money should be going towards rural internet instead. I guess the goal is to provide 5G as the main internet, but that's not really usable when you have a 750MB cap.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Funny thing is they spend so much money on the infrastructure here when it's not really needed, what's needed is better plans. The service itself actually works great, it's the plans that are the problem. Even 5G is not needed, LTE is more than enough speed, that money should be going towards rural internet instead. I guess the goal is to provide 5G as the main internet, but that's not really usable when you have a 750MB cap.

lol @ 750MB. At one point a few years ago I was using 60GB a month by myself on my data plan.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
lol @ 750MB. At one point a few years ago I was using 60GB a month by myself on my data plan.
My Nephew was like you, he averaged over 60GB a month all through high school. He's dropped down to under 5GB now that he's in college.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
My Nephew was like you, he averaged over 60GB a month all through high school. He's dropped down to under 5GB now that he's in college.

I probably use less than 5GB now, at the time I was tethering for work because my internet upload speed was crap at the house I bought and I was working remotely. We bought the house after confirming with the local ISP that they could provide Gigabyte internet service(I even had them send someone on site to confirm), then they showed up and told me they couldn't service the house, only the neighbors 30 ft from me across the street could get it... But I was told not to worry because they could put in a work order and get it run to my address. How long would this take I ask? "Well they are back logged but it will be done within the next 1-3 years!" The week we were moving out they were digging up the street running the cable to our development. Fuckers.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I probably use less than 5GB now, at the time I was tethering for work because my internet upload speed was crap at the house I bought and I was working remotely. We bought the house after confirming with the local ISP that they could provide Gigabyte internet service(I even had them send someone on site to confirm), then they showed up and told me they couldn't service the house, only the neighbors 30 ft from me across the street could get it... But I was told not to worry because they could put in a work order and get it run to my address. How long would this take I ask? "Well they are back logged but it will be done within the next 1-3 years!" The week we were moving out they were digging up the street running the cable to our development. Fuckers.
That's crazy, and I hope that doesn't happen to me with Google, when I move to NC.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
That's crazy, and I hope that doesn't happen to me with Google, when I move to NC.

Taught me a good life lesson though, never trust anyone or anything unless the consequences they will suffer are equivalent to what you will suffer unless they have proven otherwise. Me not getting my internet made me suffer, Suddenlink not getting my business made little to no difference to them. Big ISPs already have such poor reviews that there is no amount of complaining or anger you can express that will make any sort of difference to them.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Who uses public wifi these days? All the super fast unlimited LTE there's no need.
Plus the security risks. I know there's ways to fix that but the average joe isn't going to do it.
My cell plan charges $20/month extra for tethering. I use a work-around, but most folks I bet have to pay extra to tether.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My cell plan charges $20/month extra for tethering. I use a work-around, but most folks I bet have to pay extra to tether.

I always hated that crap, it's bad enough to have ridiculous caps, but to also charge based on how you're using it? I wonder how they tell though, data is data.

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Even unlimited hotspot capped at 600kbps is better than pubic wifi. Always. For another $15 a month can get 25GB before it's throttled. I've hit nearly 300Mbps down and 45Mbps up on Verizon with iphone 11 Pro Max. In 5G UWB (Note 10+ 5G and S10+ 5G on Verizon) it's crazy fast (downloads) but uploads are still LTE speed. But 5G is pretty useless unless your fav spot happens to be within 100 feet of a node. And then if someone parks in between you (and the node) you're back to LTE. But that's life for now.