Fastest modern video card for Celeron G1610

DimmyK

Oct 26, 2010
What is the fastest budget modern video card that will not be severely underutilized due to slow Celeron G1610?

I don't want to upgrade CPU yet... This is an old mining rig that was sitting in the basement for a few years now. I sold original videocards. My son is now old enough to ask for his own desktop, and I want to reuse whatever I already have and just add new budget video card to this machine. He plays mix of modern and old games, and he does not care about high settings, as long as the game runs. Monitor is 1920x1080.

I ordered RX 460 for $98. Initially I wanted to order RX470 for $170 but I thought it would be severely botllenecked by slow CPU at that resolution. Did I waste money with RX 460 too? Should I go lower? I just want the fastest option to make this rig somewhat balanced, not to skimp on performance, at the same time not to spend more than I need to for a card that would be botllenecked.

Thanks.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
On some games you'll still be bottlenecked by that CPU, even with with a 460.

What are your other system specs, and where are you located and ordering from? The 460 is just a bad value, but if you're already familiar with mining it would be pretty easy to justify just mining Eth on it when your son isn't using it. Mining isn't wildly profitable right now, but you'd still bring in ~US$1/day with a 470. It would at the very least make up the price difference between the two cards, and leave your son with a much better system. Either that or spend what you mine in a few months to upgrade him to a Sandy or Ivy quad core off eBay.

DimmyK

Oct 26, 2010
On some games you'll still be bottlenecked by that CPU, even with with a 460.

What are your other system specs, and where are you located and ordering from? The 460 is just a bad value, but if you're already familiar with mining it would be pretty easy to justify just mining Eth on it when your son isn't using it. Mining isn't wildly profitable right now, but you'd still bring in ~US$1/day with a 470. It would at the very least make up the price difference between the two cards, and leave your son with a much better system. Either that or spend what you mine in a few months to upgrade him to a Sandy or Ivy quad core off eBay.

Other specs are:
MSI Z77A-G45 mobo
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 PLATINUM 1000W power supply
8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 RAM
Rosewill Challenger ATX mid tower case
1920x1080 Alienware 120Hz Monitor

I'm in US (NY) and ordered from Amazon, I can always return it without questions. Card should come tomorrow.

As for mining, I just don't want to be bothered with it anymore, and with electricity prices in NY I doubt it will be profitable. If 460 is bad value, what card would be better?

Thanks.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I figured you wouldn't be wanting for a power supply. That's a great system other than the processor, and having a Z board is a big plus.
At $100, I'm guessing that you ordered a 2GB model. This 4GB RX470 at Newegg is only $130 after a $30 MIR, and is considerably faster than the RX460 even at 1080p, plus it comes with a free game. That one might be just for you though.
If in the future he wants something a little more powerful, you can ditch the Celeron for $20 and pick up a used 2500k/2600k which will make that system very serviceable with a bit of an OC.

Reactions: kawi6rr and AtenRa

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Yea if you got the 2GB return it and get the RX 470 at Newegg MrTeal linked above.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I just want the fastest option to make this rig somewhat balanced, not to skimp on performance, at the same time not to spend more than I need to for a card that would be botllenecked.

Your machine will be a large bottleneck for a 460 or a gtx1050.
It wont matter if you get a 2gb card or 4gb for your system, since as you say high settings are really not needed.

I would try the used market and look for a gtx750ti or a 7850.
They should be about $50and perform the same as a 460 or 1050 on your system.

DimmyK

Oct 26, 2010
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going to stick with RX 460. If it's still bottlenecked by CPU, then there is no reason to spend even more money. This card was intended to be a stop gap until CPU upgrade. 2 GB ram shouldn't be a problem, my son doesn't care about ultra textures and such. It's under $100, and I don't really like buying used stuff. I would most likely move 2500K and Titan XM from my main rig to this box once 1080Ti/Vega/Volta hits anyway. Will give me an extra reason to upgrade CPU in my main rig, 2500K is getting rather long in the tooth.

I'm looking forward to playing with RX 460, it's been a while since I owned an AMD card.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going to stick with RX 460. If it's still bottlenecked by CPU, then there is no reason to spend even more money. This card was intended to be a stop gap until CPU upgrade. 2 GB ram shouldn't be a problem, my son doesn't care about ultra textures and such. It's under $100, and I don't really like buying used stuff. I would most likely move 2500K and Titan XM from my main rig to this box once 1080Ti/Vega/Volta hits anyway. Will give me an extra reason to upgrade CPU in my main rig, 2500K is getting rather long in the tooth.

I'm looking forward to playing with RX 460, it's been a while since I owned an AMD card.
I agree, good luck.