Question Fastest low TDP CPUs?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
I’m looking to upgrade my ’server’ which basically runs Quickbooks and is setup for my bookkeeper and I to log into. It usually runs Win10 and a desktop CPU.

Might seem silly, but I want to take advantage of a spare Samsung Evo m.2 drive I have and the current MB doesn’t support it.

It doesn’t look like there’s any ’modern’ 35 watt CPU with anything more then dual core. Is that correct or am I looking in the wrong places?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:

DLuber

Dec 5, 2020
The current system is built on an Intel i5-4570t

If you want to try keeping your current machine...
My current desktop has that same chip in a Shuttle XPC SH87R6. Been pretty happy with this vintage 2013 box - it's quiet. But since WFH, I got a nicer new monitor, doing a lot of Zoom, seemed a tad sluggish. Built it with an SSD to begin with, so I added a cheap video card to take a load off the CPU, that helped, stocked up on RAM while I was at it, and then tried to swap the CPU for an i7-4790T, the fastest low-power chip for an LGA1150. Alas, even though Shuttle says their BIOS supports this chip, it would not POST. Possible I got a DOA, but it was a new bulk chip from a reputable vendor. YMMV...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
4th and 5th gen Core requires a Z97 chipset to boot from an NVMe drive without adding an NVMe driver to UEFI.

Otherwise, everything with a PCIe port and Windows 7+ or Linux kernel 3.3+ support NVMe drives.

z97 has almost no official nvme support.
The 6000 series is the 5th generation on the z170 is the skylake platform where nVME support was offically given.

He can not add a nVME on a PCI-E and boot it up without a hacked bios.
Its doable, you need to inject the code in the bios, and many have done it, but its not something he can goto the board maker website and click update firmware on.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
z97 has almost no official nvme support.
The 6000 series is the 5th generation on the z170 is the skylake platform where nVME support was offically given.

My Asrock Z97 Extreme6 begs to differ. All Z97 boards have an NVMe driver in the UEFI. The physical layout was bad on most boards of course, since the Z97 PCH only uses DMI 2.0 which severely limits bandwidth. Most Z97 boards only featured a single PCIe 2.0 x2 interface, which is only a bit faster then SATA.

You mitigate this by using a CPU provided slot, which gives you a physical PCIe 3.0 x4 interface. Downside is this limits your GPU to an x8 connection, but that's no big deal.