Fastest and Smallest

heyitsmeben

Jun 7, 2010
Hello...
Here is my goal:

--A computer that is fast - I want a system capable of supporting a high-end Intel quad core processor with 4GB (or more) RAM.
-- A computer that is SMALL!! I want the casing to be small.... Therefore, I was thinking about mITX (or similar small board).
--If possible, 'energy efficient' . I have heard something about mITX computers using 90 or so watt power supply. (However- this was with a single core processor and less ram).

(FYI - I will not be adding video cards, and I will not be adding many peripherals at all)

So.... please help me out....
A combination of:
- what mITX (or similar)board?
- what kind of case?
- what kind of power supply?

Key points: Fast, SMALL, Energy Efficient!!

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hello...
Here is my goal:

--A computer that is fast - I want a system capable of supporting a high-end Intel quad core processor with 4GB (or more) RAM.
-- A computer that is SMALL!! I want the casing to be small.... Therefore, I was thinking about mITX (or similar small board).
--If possible, 'energy efficient' . I have heard something about mITX computers using 90 or so watt power supply. (However- this was with a single core processor and less ram).

(FYI - I will not be adding video cards, and I will not be adding many peripherals at all)

So.... please help me out....
A combination of:
- what mITX (or similar)board?
- what kind of case?
- what kind of power supply?

pick 2

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
I think your best bet is mATX if you want fast, but if you want mITX, then I would suggest

DFI P55 mini ITX
Intel Core i7 860 (NO OVERCLOCKING)
Silverstone SG05-B Case w/ 300W PSU
Radeon HD 5770

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999

If you think you can live with a dual core + HyperThreading instead of a true quad core, then how about this combo:

H55 chipset mini ITX motherboard
4GB DDR3
Your choice of "Clarkdale" processor (integrated graphics, dual core, HyperThreading)
Pico PSU 150-XT power supply kit
M350 mini ITX case (add VESA mount for $1.99, second HDD tray for $1.95)
Your choice SSD (and secondary 2.5" HDD if needed for storage)
USB optical drive if needed

Mount that puppy behind your monitor and you'll end up with a zero footprint solution.

The case is 7.5"x8.2"x2.5" and such a setup should idle under 40W and load around 100W. For a non-gaming desktop computer, if you don't run software that seriously needs the extra two cores (rendering, transcoding, Folding), then this thing will be pretty blazing fast for normal computing tasks.

Last edited:

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
I really like this case. Inwin has been in the business for decades and for $40 this is a steal.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=CA-...e5ef4493d2376#

200 W PSU, 2 3.5" bays, decent looking. Notice there are no slots for discrete cards, even low profile (a true SFF case).

This is an awkward position where it's actually advantageous to have an off-die IGP. It allows you to have a true quad core in this particularly slim form factor. Unfortunately the fastest CPU in this case is yorkfield since there is no lynnfield+IGP system that exists. So you will really need to prioritize singlethreaded vs. multithreaded performance in order to help you decide between clarkdale+IGP vs yorkfield+IGP. They cost about the same (looking at Q8400 pricing).

If you have an extra $200 to throw away, the silverstone SG05 is a great case, though slightly larger than the inwin BP655, having full-sized expansion slots and a nicey 80 Plus PSU, gives you the room you need to have an i7 860 + P55 + fast, discrete GPU.