Fast Scratch Disc with 12gb of RAM?

Bassman2003

Sep 14, 2009
Hello,

I will be building a video editing/photo editing computer and wanted to ask some opinions about the need for a very fast scratch disc/virtual memory disc these days.

The computer will have a drive for the OS, drives for projects and a drive for the page file and scratch disc functionality.

Since I will have 12gb of RAM, I wonder how fast does this page file disc need to be?

I have the option of making it a RAID 0 setup but wonder if this would help as with so much RAM the disc would not play a mojor role?

I will be using Adobe After Effects which seems to be an everyhting hog, so maybe faster the better on every component?

Thanks for your input.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
depends how professional. we can't tell if you are just a hobbiest or someone editing hd videos:p if you can afford it raid a buncha intel ssds;)

Bassman2003

Sep 14, 2009
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
depends how professional. we can't tell if you are just a hobbiest or someone editing hd videos:p if you can afford it raid a buncha intel ssds;)

Thanks for your reply, but I can not say I agree with your approach. My questions has nothing to do with being an amatuer or professional.

By the way, amatures don't use After Effects very often.

My question was technical. Does having 12gb of RAM make the need for a really fast pagefile disc redundant? (in an amatuer or professional system).

Thanks

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
That would depend on Adobe After Effects and whether it would actually hit the scratch disk with 12gb of RAM. I have 8 gb when I run photoshop and for what I use it for it never hits the scratch disk. I would maybe ask this on an adobe forum since the majority of people here do not use after effects.

Maverick2002

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2000
AE is a huge RAM hog. I can only speak for CS3, but scratch disk vs. RAM will depend on the size & complexity of your projects. When you render (preview or final) AE typically renders as much as it can through RAM, then slows to a crawl as it renders the rest. Multicore rendering (as of CS3) is ideal at 2GB per core (this can be manually set).

My understanding and testing (in CS3) brings me to this conclusion as each process of AE doesn't seem to be able to access more than 2GB. When you do the multicore rendering you basically launch multiple instances of the AE process each with a certain amount of RAM allocated to it.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Originally posted by: Maverick2002
AE is a huge RAM hog. I can only speak for CS3, but scratch disk vs. RAM will depend on the size & complexity of your projects. When you render (preview or final) AE typically renders as much as it can through RAM, then slows to a crawl as it renders the rest. Multicore rendering (as of CS3) is ideal at 2GB per core (this can be manually set).

My understanding and testing (in CS3) brings me to this conclusion as each process of AE doesn't seem to be able to access more than 2GB. When you do the multicore rendering you basically launch multiple instances of the AE process each with a certain amount of RAM allocated to it.

CS4 for Windows is 64-bit so it can take advantage of a crap load of RAM.

Most pro editors use external drives or off site servers for projects. I'd use an SSD for the OS and commonly used apps like Premier Pro and AE.