Fast Cable Speed vs A little slower Fiber Speed

icewolf461

Jul 10, 2014
Hi. I am currently with an ISP that uses cable broadband. My package is 30Mbps download and 3Mbps upload. I have been with them for about 6 years, but just this month they have had service interruptions twice. And I really need my internet to always be working as I am a college student. I am thinking of switching to another ISP who offers fiber but the package is 25Mbps download and 15Mbps upload.

What do you guys think? Should I switch? Is fiber more reliable and faster? Your input is appreciated. Thanks! :)

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
What do you guys think? Should I switch? Is fiber more reliable and faster? Your input is appreciated. Thanks! :)

That depends entirely on the ISP. The physical medium is not inherently more reliable on either one. It all depends on how well maintained the equipment is, and whether the ISP manages it properly.

Also, do you know the cause of the service interruptions this month? It's entirely possible that they were caused by something outside the control of the ISP (someone cut a line, for example) and that could affect any ISP using equipment in the same area.

icewolf461

Jul 10, 2014
That depends entirely on the ISP. The physical medium is not inherently more reliable on either one. It all depends on how well maintained the equipment is, and whether the ISP manages it properly.

Also, do you know the cause of the service interruptions this month? It's entirely possible that they were caused by something outside the control of the ISP (someone cut a line, for example) and that could affect any ISP using equipment in the same area.

Well they are a fairly new ISP offering fiber up to the last mile so I will try it. But I will use my neighbor's WiFi as a backup. xd

As for the interruptions, my neighbor is with the exact same ISP as me and her internet works while mine doesn't so I'm unsure. Thanks for the response.