Question FarCry 5 (new dawn)

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Looks like it may be worth it if you like FC5. From what I gather it's just half the game FC5 was.

Anyone plan on playing? Just wondering what the mood is for this title here. Should be out in a few weeks.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Actually, I thought Far Cry 5 was sort of a disappointment.
Excellent story.
Mediocre gameplay.

My experience saw the opposite... with a okay story but featuring varied and rewarding gameplay, which of course relies heavily on your play style. I preferred stealth but going loud when the opportunity arose to do so, which was actually quite often. My only grievance was it was too "busy" and cult activity was easily halted once you perked up and learned how to infiltrate bases.

IMO it was bad on both, the overall quality is nowhere even close to FC4. Got completely bored about 1/4 in, then gave up.

FC4 was more or less FC3 with a fresh coat of paint and less palm trees. FC5 actually featured some new mechanics, story elements and imho, the setting was more interesting than Kyrat or whatever that place was called. AI and physics could definitely have been improved, and I haven't played it since last spring so maybe it was, but I don't think FC5 was a step backwards.

I'll probably check out ND at some point.

Reactions: WhiteNoise

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Story line has never been a strong point of FC games and 5 wasn't any better. Game play has quickly become a grind for me so I'm struggling to finish it. Doubt I'll even give this expansion a second glance.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Story line has never been a strong point of FC games and 5 wasn't any better.
Indeed. "Whew! Just coming to the end of FC3 and now I have a choice to make. Do I...
A. Rescue my hot model girlfriend, save my buddies and go home a hero, or B. Slit the throats of everyone I love / like that I've spent the past 25-30hrs trying to save so I can sleep with an ugly psychopath who will kill me too 5 second later.
Damn this Ubisoft writing is really deep..." :grin:

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
FarCry 5 was great fun with a friend. I couldn't get through the past FC2 through 4 games alone as I found them boring. But FC5 was great fun with my bud and I will play through this one too. Especially since it seems to follow inline with the ending of FC5.

GRWL was much better in every way but FC5 was a good blast to play. I stress this though: Play these games with a friend. It totally changes a game from ok to great.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Is this a standalone game that is essentially a reskin of the more recent primary release; meaning same map and mostly everything, just "'different' and totally not extended DLC please don't call it DLC"? ...Along the lines of Saints Row IV compared to Saints Row III.

AlanWade

Mar 4, 2019
I played it and explored everything which made a a much more interesting game.
The down side for me was the outposts, once captured you can scavenge them and take them again at a little harder then again for a third time. Although you get a lot of needed resources, it seemed a bit of a waste of time. The same with the Expeditions, you can take them three times, each one a little harder.
Apart from that the game was fun.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I enjoyed it. Taking the outposts 3 times can be a little repetitive, but I never did it three times in a row.
As with the last iteration, once you have the good weapons the game is pretty easy. Add the pig to your team and you can cruse through it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Aside from repeatedly getting kidnapped in FC5 I had fun with it. As long as you don't take it too seriously and don't mind the almost constant interruptions by random shenanigans and happenings it's actually quite fun.

I've heard that in New Dawn the gameplay got dumbed down a bit (wasn't that intelligent to being with) and that it focused more on easy combat mechanics. Can anyone shed light on that? I kind of want to play it but between Dirt Rally 2.0, Metro Exodus, Anthem, and Division 2 I can afford to skip it.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I just finished New Dawn... Have to say, that at first, I thought I wouldn't enjoy it, but... I thought it was pretty good...

The only really bad part about the game, was... I upgraded the garage first...To finish the game you need to upgrade weapons. So... I was short of ethanol by a lot. The only way I figured out how to get it was wait around for drops or, hijack a truck... Drops only give around 35 so and the trucks give you 75, but if you need 500...

Problem is, the gas trucks blow up easy, so you got to snipe the driver... and somehow manage to get it back to an outpost without the being blown up by an enemy. But the game play was fun, and the I played on difficult and it was a challenge to kill the boss players.

Normally, I'm not really into story lines, and if I didn't play FC5, and just jumped into it, probably wouldn't make much sense, but... yeah, I thought they did a pretty good job with it. I liked the pig better than the dog, even tho, he doesn't seem to travel with you... Couldn't get him into a car or helicopter.

Took about 5 days to complete it ... taking my time.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Indeed. "Whew! Just coming to the end of FC3 and now I have a choice to make. Do I...
A. Rescue my hot model girlfriend, save my buddies and go home a hero, or B. Slit the throats of everyone I love / like that I've spent the past 25-30hrs trying to save so I can sleep with an ugly psychopath who will kill me too 5 second later.
Damn this Ubisoft writing is really deep..." :grin:

You thought she was ugly? Really? Psychopath hands down, but she was certainly not ugly.

But I agree 100% on the absurdity of the ending. I played through both endings. I enjoyed the game play a lot of FC3, but story was never the driver for it.

Reactions: ericlp

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
You thought she was ugly? Really? Psychopath hands down, but she was certainly not ugly.

But I agree 100% on the absurdity of the ending. I played through both endings. I enjoyed the game play a lot of FC3, but story was never the driver for it.

Hahaha, I guess beauty really is ... in the eye of the beholder.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I just finished New Dawn... Have to say, that at first, I thought I wouldn't enjoy it, but... I thought it was pretty good...

The only really bad part about the game, was... I upgraded the garage first...To finish the game you need to upgrade weapons. So... I was short of ethanol by a lot. The only way I figured out how to get it was wait around for drops or, hijack a truck... Drops only give around 35 so and the trucks give you 75, but if you need 500...

Problem is, the gas trucks blow up easy, so you got to snipe the driver... and somehow manage to get it back to an outpost without the being blown up by an enemy. But the game play was fun, and the I played on difficult and it was a challenge to kill the boss players.

Normally, I'm not really into story lines, and if I didn't play FC5, and just jumped into it, probably wouldn't make much sense, but... yeah, I thought they did a pretty good job with it. I liked the pig better than the dog, even tho, he doesn't seem to travel with you... Couldn't get him into a car or helicopter.

Took about 5 days to complete it ... taking my time.
Always upgrade weapons first. I got killed by a stupid dog the first time I wondered around the map.
The pig always showed up where ever I went, and once he gets his super powers he can kill a truck in one hit.