Far Cry 5 is up on Steam.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
http://store.steampowered.com/app/552520/Far_Cry_5/

No discount for pre-purchase, yet. Nor any system requirements except DirectX 11, and since its still a couple months away, that could easily change. In any case, we know for a fact its gonna require 64 bit Win 10, thats already been established by many sources.

And of course, it looks like they gimped the game content and will require you to buy a deluxe or platinum version if you want everything.

Good news is theres a few videos and tons of screenshots. Of course, since its possible game content could change between now and February 27th they might not be perfectly accurate.
But at least you can put it on your wishlist and wait. I do NOT recommend paying now. We've all seen these things go sideways and Ubisoft is no exception.

Reactions: OCNewbie

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
ss_a52c732d62a26d20bcfb0525929178749392f4fc.1920x1080.jpg

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
It looks like it will be good, I just hate UPlay so very much. I'll probably end up picking it up unless it's a disaster at launch.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
It looks like it will be good, I just hate UPlay so very much. I'll probably end up picking it up unless it's a disaster at launch.

I'm gonna wait a week and see what the reviews are, on Steam. Ubi is notorious for bad launches followed by several days of major patches. Both South Park games were like that.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
Wait, it supports DX11 but is W10 only??

Guess this is another game I wont be playing anytime soon.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Still looks like the same game we've played for years now.

I'm ok with that. I like the formula.

I'll be playing Far Cry 10 if they keep at it the way they did with 3, BD, 4 and Primal. All great gaming experiences for me. In fact, I'm in the middle of a playthrough of FC4 atm.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm ok with that. I like the formula.

I'll be playing Far Cry 10 if they keep at it the way they did with 3, BD, 4 and Primal. All great gaming experiences for me. In fact, I'm in the middle of a playthrough of FC4 atm.

And that's why games are stagnating. No new stuff...just release the 500th version of Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, and Call of Duty.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Guess this is another game I wont be playing anytime soon.

The way things are going its not a good idea to assume you can keep playing new games without Windows 10.
Theres tons of stuff for earlier operating systems, so its not a huge loss.

Mamere782

Oct 10, 2017
Just bought FC4 for 15.00 on Steam. Played 1 and 2. this was the only other FC game that interested me.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just bought FC4 for 15.00 on Steam. Played 1 and 2. this was the only other FC game that interested me.

3 and 4 are very similar, in gameplay and story and those god damn towers. But overall I like Far Cry 4 much better due to a seriously improved UI and generous weapon selection, as well as more variety in missions.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I think I have Primal on my wishlist, but I'm only grabbing it if it's really cheap. I liked all the past Far Cry games (especially the first), but I honestly can't really care about future games. It's beginning to feel like Mario - they are essentially the same thing over and over again, but if you liked previous games, you'll probably enjoy their next iteration.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I thought Primal was crap. But go ahead and try it. If you play less than two hours you can sell it back to Steam.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I expect it'll be patched out, no way they'd be stupid enough to ignore the dominant market share of Windows 7. Like how one of the earlier Far Cry games (3?) got a dual-core patch and actually ran fine.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I think I have Primal on my wishlist, but I'm only grabbing it if it's really cheap. I liked all the past Far Cry games (especially the first), but I honestly can't really care about future games. It's beginning to feel like Mario - they are essentially the same thing over and over again, but if you liked previous games, you'll probably enjoy their next iteration.

Mario is literally the worst example to use. Far Cry 3 to 4 was like Madden. Mario actually introduces new mechanics and experiments with things, and at one point revolutionized the genre.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Loved FC3 but never really got into 4... tried a few times, just liked the setting of 3 better I guess. Also Vas was a much better antagonist.

Ubi better not screw up 5 because it looks pretty awesome from what I've seen.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
This is the reason why I don't follow game's development anymore. Too much hype. Too much speculation. Too much "you can do..." only to find out the feature is extremely elementary in the game or not finished at the time of launch.

Once I see a game is coming out, I'll toss it on my wishlist and wait for it to go on sale. By then, it's usually been out long enough to have some substantiated reviews and receive enough patches to fix all the major glaring issues. I remember Witcher 3 had some pretty bad bugs in it when it was first released, but I waited about six months to play it and it was a flawless experience. All the major issues people had with the negative reviews were fixed long before I ever installed it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
This is the reason why I don't follow game's development anymore. Too much hype. Too much speculation. Too much "you can do..." only to find out the feature is extremely elementary in the game or not finished at the time of launch.

Once I see a game is coming out, I'll toss it on my wishlist and wait for it to go on sale. By then, it's usually been out long enough to have some substantiated reviews and receive enough patches to fix all the major glaring issues. I remember Witcher 3 had some pretty bad bugs in it when it was first released, but I waited about six months to play it and it was a flawless experience. All the major issues people had with the negative reviews were fixed long before I ever installed it.

I dunno. Skyrim still has most of the bugs it had on launch day.
Luckily the plugin system allows you to download a homebrew patch which DOES get regular updates.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Eh, you can't really bring a Bethesda game into this. We all know the developers rely on the modding community to fix most of the bugs - they've even said it in the past right after Shivering Isles was released.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Eh, you can't really bring a Bethesda game into this. We all know the developers rely on the modding community to fix most of the bugs - they've even said it in the past right after Shivering Isles was released.

I dont remember hearing that but I do not doubt the validity. They really just shove crap out the door for quick sales and give support little thought. I am actually surprised they even bothered with an MMO cuz that requires constant support which just isnt their thing. In any case, Far Cry 5 will probably have fewer bugs than a Bethesda title but more bugs than I'd care for, being an Ubisoft release. So yeah, I will not buy on day one but wait a little bit for the major issues to get fixed.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Shivering Isles = Micro-Stuttering Isles?

I'm skipping this one like I skipped Primal. After the incredibly poor "moral choices" in 4, I don't care to see their take on American politics. Rather than battling my way through militant right-wing Mormons, I'll hold out for something more realistic, like battling my way through giant space shrews or sentient drain clogs.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Shivering Isles = Micro-Stuttering Isles?

I'm skipping this one like I skipped Primal. After the incredibly poor "moral choices" in 4, I don't care to see their take on American politics. Rather than battling my way through militant right-wing Mormons, I'll hold out for something more realistic, like battling my way through giant space shrews or sentient drain clogs.

Far Cry 6.