Far Cry 3 - love/hate relationship

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've been a big fan of the Far Cry series. I get what they're doing- making non-connected stories into a lush and vibrant environment, and they're doing it well.

I loved the original Far Cry's "Lost-like" story. You could use the environment to your advantage, you could come up with multiple ways to get through a barrier, and it allowed you to be creative in battling enemies.

Far Cry 2 was arguably even better. A gigantic landscape presented you with a non-linear story line, lots of side quests, and great characters and enemies. However, it suffered from unnecessary annoyances (malaria shots needed every so often), and quite a few programming glitches.

Far Cry 3 is....good...but not great. You get the same immense, beautiful environment, full of adventure and intrigue. You get interesting characters, and cool weapons and vehicles to play with. However, the story-line just plain doesn't work, and the interface is two steps from being "craptastic".

Does anyone else having a problem with some spoiled rich kid that has "never killed anyone before" becoming a Rambo-super-warrior instantly? He's whinny, annoying, and has no problem storming and defeating a pirate village, but in cut scenes if someone shoots at him he starts cursing up a storm and panicking. He's gets my vote as "most annoying game lead of 2012".

Also, the crafting interface is God-awful. You have to keep dropping out of the game, crafting drugs and accessories, assign them to slots...it's both tedious and unnecessary. Most annoying is the fact that you have to be in EXACTLY the right place to be able to interact with anything. Need to disable an alarm quickly before the bad guys see you? You better line up the alarm box exactly or you won't be able to. Trying to look a body that's next to a vehicle or a weapon is a lesson in futility.

Finally, what's with all the animals on this island? There's like less than 2000 tigers left IN THE WORLD, and 1000 of them seem to be on the island...specifically hunting me. I gunned down a pirate encampment and sliced the throats of 20 no-good slavers...only to be killed by a GIANT F**KING AMBUSH BIRD! Imagine reading that in a novel "Dave was our best hope. He took out an army with his bare hands, but that peacock did him in."

Far Cry 3 could have been a classic, but it's rushed design and character flaws kill the deal. 6/10

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I agree with you. FC3 has some great high points but also some niggling problems. The game progression is more linear this time around. I'am so sick of those damn jump up here and there tower puzzles. I like how they added the towers in the game but I'm just so sick of the jumping puzzle part of it. 18 towers (completed 14 so far) and they are all so busted up? I mean cannot I have something different like to get up one I first have to fight a bunch of bad guys first? I want to punch the designer guy who did the towers. And why are the
Kill The Bad Guy quests always have to be snuck up on and stabbed with a knife? Its fine if you like killing with knives and all but I'm into guns dammit! I dont take a knife into what would realistically be a gun fight. And why does every animal seem to be hell bent on killing me? I think for me them stupid dogs are the most annoying. They are everywhere!

I love the game but it has some things that makes me kinda mad. The 1st FC is still my favorite. Not sure which I like best #2 or #3. Those damn malaria shots in #2 really made me hate it at times. Thank god its not needed in FC3 although you do need health regen shots but they are easy to craft and apply and not to mention carry around with you.

Last edited:

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
TBH I thought it was very fun. But it does get repetitive and I don't see myself finishing it anytime soon.